Foreign con man working north coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2006
There is a Facebook page on Cabarete that is posting about a(badly dressed) foreigner asking for money from tourists and ex-pats to help him get to Santiago/Santo Domingo to get to an embassy. He's claiming that he was just robbed and needs to replace his passport and expenses to get there. Several ppl have chimed in saying they were also taken by the guy and gave him anything from a couple hundred pesos to several thousands. I won't post the link for liability reasons, but it's not hard to find...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have been approached by a gringo in POP claiming he was robbed earlier that day and needed to get to SD. he tried to show me a paper given to him by the police, the creases worn out, it looked years old. the guy was tall, dark hair, dark eyes, around 45 maybe. vague foreign accent.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think i said it clearly: the "paperwork" he "just got from the police" was worn out at the creases and really old. clearly used for a long time. should i give him your phone number next time? maybe you can help.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Someone should tell him, if you need to go to SD I'll take you there, hop on! And see what he says.:classic:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
That must be a very desperate expat to con people for a few hundreds pesos in third world country.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If he's already seen that he can get enough money from foreigners to cover his basic expenses and possibly any addictions he might have (not saying he does but could be a possibility), he'll just keep doing it. Very sad.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if some folks give him few thousand pesos in one go he can easily live off that better than many people here. he'll end up in a bad way, thou. if he needs to resort to conning for living what will happen if he ever gets ill and left without any option to go back to his home country?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
if some folks give him few thousand pesos in one go he can easily live off that better than many people here. he'll end up in a bad way, thou. if he needs to resort to conning for living what will happen if he ever gets ill and left without any option to go back to his home country?

Then we'll see see in the news "Unidentified foreigner found dead in "x"." :S

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
No biggie, I can think of 3-4 PRO's that were members of this very site!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I just can't imagine some expat would stoop that low to make a "living".

no reason to think that gringos are honest and hard working by definition. a crook will always hustle, no matter what location.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
ambitious hustler

no reason to think that gringos are honest and hard working by definition. a crook will always hustle, no matter what location.

I am not one to think that gringos are honest and hard working. I just can't imagine how he can make a decent living since you would have to move locations quite frequently and the pool of gringos is not THAT big. But, I get it, a hustler is a hustler, but get in real estate, hustle for a couple of G's at least (like many do) :smoke:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I just can't imagine how he can make a decent living since you would have to move locations quite frequently and the pool of gringos is not THAT big.

maybe that's not his only business endeavour? for every natural born distrustful bastard like me there is ten good people who'd believe any soppy story.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
i think i said it clearly: the "paperwork" he "just got from the police" was worn out at the creases and really old. clearly used for a long time. should i give him your phone number next time? maybe you can help.

I'm the last person you should refer to someone who's in need... My heart is as cold and hard as an iceberg. Don't expect any help from me, even if you're drying on the sidewalk in front of me. Rule no. 1; Trust No One.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I'm the last person you should refer to someone who's in need... My heart is as cold and hard as an iceberg. Don't expect any help from me, even if you're drying on the sidewalk in front of me. Rule no. 1; Trust No One.

s1nac8.gif

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

May 20, 2012
There's a thread going about beach vendors in Bavaro today.

We are accosted by many, but at least two are just panhandling here too.

My husband responded to one, (who said he was Haitian and lost everything in earthquake and so on) with this response.
No, I don't carry money on the beach. But I have a friend who has been looking for someone to work for him. Come with me, and we will go talk with him right now! He will be thrilled.....

The man just walked away....of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.