Best Cell Phone Provider for One Week Vacation in Sosua

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
I have an unlocked quad-band GSM cell phone that I plan to use for a week in Sosua. I will be making only voice calls to US and locally, no data service. I'm thinking about using Orange Prepaid, which charges the same for local and US calls (at 2 cents per minute [US] if I'm not mistaken).

(1) What would be the best prepaid plan in your opinion?
(2) Should I pick up up a SIM card at POP airport on arrival or in Sosua?
(3) How much does it cost for the SIM card and for calls locally and to US?
(4) How do I refill in Sosua?

Thanks.

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
If you will use it only for voice cheapest rate is VIVA, their internet is 2G so no problme that for you.
usually the SIM cards cost 100.00 pesos.

I was checking the websites of VIVA and Orange and you are right, VIVA rate is 0.10 RD per second and Orange rate is 1.3 RD per second. They come to about 15 cents per minute (USD) for VIVA and 20 cents per minute for Orange. I was off in my previous post by an order of magnitude:surprised, with 2 cents per minute. I just returned from a trip in Thailand and the rate I was paying there was only 3 cents per minute. The DR rates appear to be at least 5X more than in Thailand.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Open a GOOGLE Voice account with a US number and call US for FREE over WIFI.
Most local lovely's have WhatsApp on their phone.

We are talking about a $2-$3 difference on the week between carriers man, buy an Orange SIM and call it a day.
You can refill it @ any colmado or Orange store.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I'm going to try Google Voice when i get to DR.

Once you have the Google Voice number there is an easy option. If you have a smartphone, you can also download Google Hangouts and Google Hangouts dialer to the phone. Correctly configured, that allows you to call from your cell, over WiFi, using the free Google Voice number. You can put the phone on airplane mode and just call over WiFi.

My US cell phone has three numbers, the US from the sim, a Magic Jack number and a Google Voice number. Google Voice gives texting as well, which is not available with Magic Jack. Also with both MJ and GV, I have redundancy if MJ, as sometimes happens, has trouble connecting to the servers.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
get a Magic jack for home in Canada or the USA, it allows you to download a Magicjack app for smart phones which then lets you call US and Canadian phone numbers for free over wifi :)

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
My understanding is that Magicjack needs a hardwire connection to a router or a laptop -- which may not be available in a hotel. With regard to Hangouts, the WiFi signal has to be robust, which also may not available in a hotel.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Magic Jack will work from a cell as long as it has a wifi connection. Does not need a hardwire connection. But you have to have the MJ App running on the phone. It is free on the Play Store.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Magic Jack will work from a cell as long as it has a wifi connection. Does not need a hardwire connection. But you have to have the MJ App running on the phone. It is free on the Play Store.

If you dont have very good WifI speed the voice will be cutting and will be impossible to comunicate.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you dont have very good WifI speed the voice will be cutting and will be impossible to comunicate.

Very true. Need to have a decent upload also. But it will work with a good wifi connection.

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014

Have you actually used Magic Jack without a hardwire connection?

Acoording to What Is the New 2014 MagicJack Plus? ? Unofficial magicJack Plus 2014 and magicApp Info Blog

"Originally consumers were hoping for a revolutionary upgrade that included the ability to connect from anywhere in ones home via encrypted WiFi but instead the 2014 magicJack plus must still be connected via the port of a wireless router."

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003

Acoording to What Is the New 2014 MagicJack Plus? ? Unofficial magicJack Plus 2014 and magicApp Info Blog

"Originally consumers were hoping for a revolutionary upgrade that included the ability to connect from anywhere in ones home via encrypted WiFi but instead the 2014 magicJack plus must still be connected via the port of a wireless router."

I used Magic Jack connected to my computer for several years. Then, I got a smartphone with an advanced version of Android and downloaded the Magic Jack app from the Play store (there is an I-Phone version too). The app works without needing an hard wire connection - just wifi.

Now, I just use the Magic Jack app on my cell to make free calls to the US from the DR. As I said in my earlier post, I have redundancy on that cell, the US number on the sim, the Magic Jack number on the app and the Gpogle Voice number on the Hangouts Dialer.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

I just took a call on it with wireless a few hours ago . It does work. This was with a Nexus 7 device that is only a tablet and not a cell phone.

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
I used Magic Jack connected to my computer for several years. Then, I got a smartphone with an advanced version of Android and downloaded the Magic Jack app from the Play store (there is an I-Phone version too). The app works without needing an hard wire connection - just wifi.

Now, I just use the Magic Jack app on my cell to make free calls to the US from the DR. As I said in my earlier post, I have redundancy on that cell, the US number on the sim, the Magic Jack number on the app and the Gpogle Voice number on the Hangouts Dialer.

When I tried to download Hangouts dialer on my LG optimus slider smartphone with Android version 2.3.4, I get a message saying that it is not compatible. I may have to upgrade.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

I have been using magic jack on my phone, I have Iphone and there is an app for magic jack that you can download, I used to have a MiFi with VIVA but they closed the ports and magic jack do not work anymore with them, so now Im using Hangouts to make free calls to USA and Canada.

The free app fro Iphone you can only make calls is block for incoming calls unless you have a magic jack account, that way you make and receive calls.