Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Cell Phone Provider for One Week Vacation in Sosua

I have an unlocked quad-band GSM cell phone that I plan to use for a week in Sosua. I will be making only voice calls to US and locally, no data service. I'm thinking about using Orange Prepaid, which charges the same for local and US calls (at 2 cents per minute [US] if I'm not mistaken).

(1) What would be the best prepaid plan in your opinion?
    (2) Should I pick up up a SIM card at POP airport on arrival or in Sosua?
    (3) How much does it cost for the SIM card and for calls locally and to US?
    (4) How do I refill in Sosua?

Thanks.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If you will use it only for voice cheapest rate is VIVA, their internet is 2G so no problme that for you.
    usually the SIM cards cost 100.00 pesos.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riva_31 View Post
    If you will use it only for voice cheapest rate is VIVA, their internet is 2G so no problme that for you.
    usually the SIM cards cost 100.00 pesos.
    I was checking the websites of VIVA and Orange and you are right, VIVA rate is 0.10 RD per second and Orange rate is 1.3 RD per second. They come to about 15 cents per minute (USD) for VIVA and 20 cents per minute for Orange. I was off in my previous post by an order of magnitude, with 2 cents per minute. I just returned from a trip in Thailand and the rate I was paying there was only 3 cents per minute. The DR rates appear to be at least 5X more than in Thailand.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Open a GOOGLE Voice account with a US number and call US for FREE over WIFI.
    Most local lovely's have WhatsApp on their phone.

We are talking about a $2-$3 difference on the week between carriers man, buy an Orange SIM and call it a day.
    You can refill it @ any colmado or Orange store.

5. Likes Africaida liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to try Google Voice when i get to DR.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kcdmps View Post
    You need to download it from a US ip address to fool it, or you will need to play with a PROXY.
    You can only dial US numbers for free.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kcdmps View Post
    Once you have the Google Voice number there is an easy option. If you have a smartphone, you can also download Google Hangouts and Google Hangouts dialer to the phone. Correctly configured, that allows you to call from your cell, over WiFi, using the free Google Voice number. You can put the phone on airplane mode and just call over WiFi.

My US cell phone has three numbers, the US from the sim, a Magic Jack number and a Google Voice number. Google Voice gives texting as well, which is not available with Magic Jack. Also with both MJ and GV, I have redundancy if MJ, as sometimes happens, has trouble connecting to the servers.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

https://support.google.com/hangouts/.../6079055?hl=en

The above link seems to explain it.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

get a Magic jack for home in Canada or the USA, it allows you to download a Magicjack app for smart phones which then lets you call US and Canadian phone numbers for free over wifi

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is that Magicjack needs a hardwire connection to a router or a laptop -- which may not be available in a hotel. With regard to Hangouts, the WiFi signal has to be robust, which also may not available in a hotel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast