Ocean Club

Aug 21, 2007
There was a thread not to long ago about Ocean Club in Sosua being taken over by the Gansevoort Hotel Group. I can't find the thread now. Perhaps one of you more astute users of dr1 can find it. Anyway, posters seemed to agree that a hotel of this level could not survive in the DR. I fell on the other side of the discussion.

A few recent happenings since then......they continue work on the multi-level parking garage. It began as a big hole in the ground for a couple of years, but at this point, it is actually looking like a real, first world parking structure. I am told that all but a couple of condos in the development are sold. I am told that owners are guaranteed a (quite high) percentage return annually for rentals.

I was in the US for a couple of weeks recently. My daughter-in-law is a high end interior designer for wealthy people in the NYC/DC/Baltimore area. She says her East Coast clients are all excited about the Gansevoort Hotel Group having a resort in the DR.

And finally, it looks like the DR government also is in support. Tonight as I was mucking my way down to the beachfront gate of Infiniti Blu, I was backed up behind large black vehicles with lights flashing. I knew it had to be someone important. I asked what was going on as I entered our gate next door and was told that High ranking police officials were in Montellano today. The top general of police for the DR will be staying at Ocean Club.

Of all the places on the North Coast, this is where he was put up.

Either Ocean Club will be a flash in the pan or it is the first sign that politicians and investors knew what they were doing when they said changes were coming to Sosua.

Opinions?

Lindsey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Yes. Snails do make progress in life.
Although I wouldn't go as far as to say Castro staying at the Ocean Club is some type of government support.

Aug 21, 2007
here: http://dr1.com/forums/north-coast/146628-new-hotel-open-nc.html

and sosua is still ho town, sorry. nothing changed since yday.

I agree....not since yesterday......but is this the beginning of something different for the future? I don't know, but I would think with the $$ they got for condo sales and the reputation of the new management group and, with government support, may be this will be something different, the first winds of change.

Or maybe I am foolish. Who knows?

Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
Yes. Snails do make progress in life.
Although I wouldn't go as far as to say Castro staying at the Ocean Club is some type of government support.

Someone needs to pay for the $500 USD per night stay.....unless there is some deal going on. I would assume this is paid by an expense account. No?

Lindsey

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
nah. even thou i feel sosua is trash town now there is no reason not to hope for the future. i wish DR the best. even when i remain skeptical.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
by the beach...the beach anywhere in the world is rough....expensive and wild...drugs, ladies, robberies, (not the best police) and in my opinion(imo) sosua wont change...P.P.(Puerto Plata) has got a better shot.. new crusie lines...been open longer...etc...

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Sosua will never be anything until you see the big chain restaurants moving in. When I see a McDonalds on one of the corners...then maybe I will believe.

Walk around town in the rain and see how close the town is to becoming a higher end destination....sooooo many puddles and rivers in the streets....I guess infrastructure is not high on the list, just expensive hotels?

LOL

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I like Sosua. I drive over once or twice a month. However its like Atlantic City New Jersey. They have tried and tried to repackage and polish the image, Donald Trump threw up his hands and Steve Wynn failed to change the town. Its a run down dirty gambling and hooker town and they cant give away the condos and real estate.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I am of the impression that the primary tourist destinations on the north coast are marketed to middle class tourists (usually with kids) who will spend between $1000 - $1500 per adult/wk for an AI type arrangement. There are more expensive and more luxurious resort options available just as there are options for those who do not wish to do the AI thing. However, the vast majority of tourists to Puerto Plata/Sosua fall into the first group.

Sosua does not currently have the where-with-all to support or impress "high roller" tourists. If you are the sort to spend $300/night on accommodations, you wouldn't be caught dead lounging in Rancho Tipico. I haven't seen Ocean Club and I don't know their pricing details but if it's to succeed it needs to cater to the "class" of tourist who is interested in coming to Sosua in the first place and it will have to meet all of the entertainment needs of those tourists on site, because a diverse array of high end fun and games is very limited on the local economy. There is not enough to do locally to keep demanding rich people entertained for more than a day or two.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I remember that thread.. Gansevoort...

I think they appeal to a crowd like your daughter

Also, you have the Playa Grande Beach Club - in operation now.... $$ place to stay, full of New Yorkers
Playa Grande Beach Club

Soon to open, The Aman Hotel at Playa Grande... another high end stay
Playa Grande Club & Reserve - Dominican Republic

you have to assume these people know what they're doing - picking locations

The Minister of Tourism is at Playa Grande Beach Club regularly, as a guest

Whether any of these new , higher end resorts will succeed is anybody's guess at this point.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As a result of the above, we have quite a bit of development activity in the Cabrera/RSJ area.

Employment is up, and the future actually seems to have a future.......fingers crossed

anybody who has been to the 'new ' Playa Grande will see what changes have been made

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Great, with more development and more $$$ in the local economy comes inflation and higher prices for everyone. Should have gone to Belize, no real development there.

A certain standard of living will always have its price regardless of location...

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
Great, with more development and more $$$ in the local economy comes inflation and higher prices for everyone. Should have gone to Belize, no real development there.

A certain standard of living will always have its price regardless of location...

I don't think you would really want to do that. Number 6 most violent country. Great tax savings though. If you live long enough to spend it.

https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=14034

Aug 21, 2007
Ocean Club is to be all-inclusive. At least one additional restaurant is being built. Their intent is to provide for all vacation needs so vacationers there do not need to leave the premises.

I have no reason to doubt that the hotel group knows what they are doing. If it is successful, we all should benefit. However, only time will tell.

Lindsey

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
That "link" looks just like ALL the "LINKS" posted by "Pichardo" about the "BOOM" in DR.
Heard ANYTHING about the "Pinewood Studios" fiasco in Juan Dolio??????

"High End" in Sosua is a "Position", NOT a Destination!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
(...) Their intent is to provide for all vacation needs so vacationers there do not need to leave the premises. (...) If it is successful, we all should benefit.

already there is an issue. all inclusive model does not benefit the community as much as regular hotels that require leaving the premises in order to eat or entertain. whether the guests pay 5k dollars or 50 dollars per night is irrelevant: the staff is paid normal salaries anyways and the profits stay with a foreign investor. this project will create jobs and bring some money to the locals but will not impact local businesses, unless the clients will be encouraged to leave the premises. and so far sosua does not have much to offer.

it's the same as with this stupidity of "puerto plata ciudad crucerista". the city needs to adapt to serve tourists not the other way round. it needs to be clean and safe or the first visit will be the last. an upgrade of those two factors will be something we will all benefit from.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004