Cheap hotel in Bavaro?

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
MT Hotel (formerly Bowman, I think) in Plaza Brisas on Av Espana. Nice rooms, continental breakfast available, and a very nice pool.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Didnt they jack up the price at like 70$/night at MT?

Decent hotel but not worth that kind of high price in my opinion.

It used to be 35-40$ the first time i went a few years ago!

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Didnt they jack up the price at like 70$/night at MT?

Decent hotel but not worth that kind of high price in my opinion.

It used to be 35-40$ the first time i went a few years ago!

The deluxe room is probably $70/night, and that is still about half the price of quite a few of the AIs that are worth staying at. They'd price themselves out if the basic room is much more than $50.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
I was at MT last week, you could do worse. Colmado, restaurants, everything close. Helpful staff. Upgraded me to Pool Suite when regular room WIFI was no workie. Your Charm Mileage May Vary, my Fren.

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Bavaro II

Bavarlo II (dos) is a real budget hotel with perfect location if you arrive by plane and want to head to Santo Domingo the next day with the express bus Expresso Bavaro.

Rate is 1000 - 1200 Pesos.
Air condition.
I consider it safe, but doorlocks are bad.

Pros:
In center of everything:
Car wash to have a drink
Orange shop, Banco Popular, Bavaro Expresso bus station, Taxi station, Fast food, good international coffee bar (Las llenas) and spanish restaurant all within 1 - 5 minutes walking distance.
Clean

Cons:
No pool
wlan only at reception area
door locks not secure
warm water supply not reliable

Alexander

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You left out the part about the all night Disco there. But the place is OK and near everything. Don't know how quiet it is at night though. If you can't sleep you will find action in the Disco though.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Bavarlo II (dos) is a real budget hotel with perfect location

If ya like hooker hotels next to (as Sky mentioned) the bar that gets busy at 3am and doesn't close until 8-9am. At one time there were 2 hotels back there, and only the one had a pool. Is that second hotel still back there?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If ya like hooker hotels next to (as Sky mentioned) the bar that gets busy at 3am and doesn't close until 8-9am. At one time there were 2 hotels back there, and only the one had a pool. Is that second hotel still back there?

Yes, there is a hotel at the back. They have a gate off the side street. Looks OK for a budget.

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Bavaro II disco closed?

Last time I was there about 1 year ago: the disco was closed.

Saying was that police was after businesses abide to a curfew in this area.

Everything changes and I have no idea about the situation today.

Bavarlo II appears to be a solid construction so a room on the back on the top floor might help.

Don't know about the history of this building, but it seems that some foreigner constructed with nice finish (like quality valves and fittings in bathrooms) and now is managed "dominican style". Repairs are done only when absolutly neccessary and some rooms are exploited to have some good rooms as long as possible.

For the good side, last time I was there they had a watching men.

Alexander

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The Disco is open now, and it is open late after the other bars close.

Domdream

Jul 26, 2014
MT is still 50 a night. Just had a group down from the north coast staying there three weeks ago.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Last time I was there about 1 year ago: the disco was closed.

A year ago, Cool Disco's hours were changed for them. They began opening earlier, and the after-hours action moved to Punta 21 around the corner. Since March 2014 (if not earlier) Cool is now open around 3am, gets busy between 4 and 5am, and closes anywhere between 8-10am. The hookers that work Cool have rooms back in Hotel II Bavaro.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
MT is still 50 a night. Just had a group down from the north coast staying there three weeks ago.

How to get the $50 rate? Everything online quotes $75. I plan to be there first week in Feb. Should I just call the hotel direct and make the reservation? I'm not keen on divulging cc info over the phone. This will be my first trip to "the Dominican" without a Dominicana in tow. Maybe a chance to meet with some DR1ers.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
How to get the $50 rate? Everything online quotes $75. I plan to be there first week in Feb. Should I just call the hotel direct and make the reservation? I'm not keen on divulging cc info over the phone. This will be my first trip to "the Dominican" without a Dominicana in tow. Maybe a chance to meet with some DR1ers.

Call the hotel direct (Spanish only, IIRC). They won't take your CC over the phone. They actually prefer cash.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Great, I think I'll do that, thanks. My only concern would be the validity of the reservation. perhaps they'll give a conf #.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Great, I think I'll do that, thanks. My only concern would be the validity of the reservation. perhaps they'll give a conf #.

i find it hard to believe that a place that has 80 rooms cant make money at 50$us a night...plus food etc...alm ost 1.5 mil a year full but that dont happen etc... but alot of places are winding down their prices here and elsewhere..

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
i find it hard to believe that a place that has 80 rooms cant make money at 50$us a night...plus food etc...alm ost 1.5 mil a year full but that dont happen etc... but alot of places are winding down their prices here and elsewhere..

It has only 33 rooms, plus 10 new pool side VIP suites, which I believe is additional $12 a night over the local room rate. I do agree one should never book the MT online, also they will only ask for a CC number when booking for more then one night...