Water presure in the house is getting stronger

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
I've noticed this getting stronger and stronger as time passes. Its to the point now that I'm concerned about a leak in the system. Any idea why this would get stronger over time? I would say over the past 4 months I noticed it.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Does your pressure tank on the ground floor have a pressure gauge? What is the pressure reading when the pump has just shut off?

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
The pressure is possibly adjustable in two ways: pressurized tank (air and water) the pump relay pressure is adjustable; the height of water in the tank may be adjustable.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Sorry Charlise, since his water goes into a cistern, where there is no pressure, it's just a holding tank, his "Pressure" is dependent on HIS WATER PUMP, not street pressure!
Also, please notice that he said, "TRUCK" as well as "Street" which means, SADLY :ermm::ermm::ermm::disappoin:disappoin:disappoin:disappoin , that there are times when there is ZERO pressure from the street,and he must BUY his own water!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aug 6, 2006
I would guess that the amount of water in the tank on the roof determines the pressure coming out of the faucet.

When green goo comes out of the faucet, the tank is nearly empty and rewarding you with free algae.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I would guess that the amount of water in the tank on the roof determines the pressure coming out of the faucet.

If a water system has a pressure tank, the everyday water when there is electricity, should come from the pressure tank. If the power is out and the pressure in the tank reaches near zero, then water should start flowing from the tinaco via gravity.

Without a pressure tank, then in all likelihood all your water is gravity fed from the tinaco.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
yes but why would it appear to be more pressure? I mean what size is the tinaco? shouldn't make much difference in pressure wether full or half full....unless it is a big tinaco......

and pressure from a pump would be consistent with electricity supply to the pump?

strange one.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I have a big tinacoa, 1000 gallons I think. When full, lots of pressure. When less than half empty, much, much less pressure. ( without pump running of course ).
I do have a pressure tank, but hardly ever in use, only when I switch the pump on. Rest of the time only gravity and/ or water from the "street".
Perhaps the OP's system ressembles mine ???

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Back to the OP - am I the only one confused as to how a leak could possibly make the pressure stronger? I'd expect the opposite? What am I missing?

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Perhaps something that has been lodged in the pipes for a long time has dissolved or worked its way free.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Thanks everyone for your help. I replaced the pressure switch on the water tank 2 years ago. It is set to kick on at 0 and turn off at 40. Check it again and it still has the same values. As for the filters on the end of the faucets, I clean those often. They are not a problem but I would like to replace some of them but no parts in POP. Perhaps I should change the shutoff for the pressure switch lower.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
I simply lower the cut off pressure and its normal again. Perhaps the switch is going bad, would be my only guess why the actual pressure was increasing, yet the gauge read the right amount.