traveling to europe, what can i take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so, this friend of mine requested lechoza. she's actually after the seeds. would it be viable to extract some seeds and stuff them into a small bag thrown somewhere in the luggage?

how about a bottle of fresh coconut water in a plastic water bottle? doable?

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
so, this friend of mine requested lechoza. she's actually after the seeds. would it be viable to extract some seeds and stuff them into a small bag thrown somewhere in the luggage?

I would think any raw foodstuffs are a problem, unless they are dehydrated items.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

what does she plan to do with the seeds?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It doesn't matter what the seeds will be used for, the customs declaration form will ask if you have any plants or plant material and if you answer yes the seeds will be confiscated. If you answer no, you are lying and if you get caught, you run the risk of increased scrutiny anytime you cross a border going forward. Not to mention to the possible fines. This is Europe dv8 is talking about not the DR.

There will be dogs and customs agents who GAF.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It doesn't matter what the seeds will be used for, the customs declaration form will ask if you have any plants or plant material and if you answer yes the seeds will be confiscated. If you answer no, you are lying and if you get caught, you run the risk of increased scrutiny anytime you cross a border going forward. Not to mention to the possible fines. This is Europe dv8 is talking about not the DR.

There will be dogs and customs agents who GAF.

i asked her what they would be used for not in order to speculate upon their acceptability, but out of sheer curiosity. i wanted to know if someone in Europe wanted to grow his or her own papayas.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
If you do carry on, your liquids must be no more than 3 oz in a zip lock plastic bag. If you check luggage, you can bring as much liquid as you like (but I would suggest putting them in plastic zip locks for safety purposes).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
gorgon, she has a small orangerie, she wants to grow that stuff.

drro, coconut water would go to main luggage, i have plenty of bubble wrap. just wandering if that would be seen as a problem.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
it could be a problem....but I think seeds are one of the few things that they are concerned with...I have regularly brought seeds from Ireland to the u.s. and have never run into any problems....I am talking a few packets for personal use ..not boxes of seeds

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think dried commercially packaged seeds are not a problem. i have brought some from poland few times. but then i do not think a packet that says "og?rek siewny" is anything dominicans would identify.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
If you're concerned about the cocoanut milk, which I think would be fine, transfer it into a Dasani water bottle, then for sure no problem!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you're concerned about the cocoanut milk, which I think would be fine, transfer it into a Dasani water bottle, then for sure no problem!

I regularly put good wine in bad bottles for impression............... high class wino type

or is it the other way around ???

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It is not so much of a problem as to what you can take out as to what Poland will let you in with. And I assume you can Google in Polish a tad better than I can. Apart from the normal rules now in place re liquids, sharp items and terrorist type things, the list of things you are not allowed to take out of the DR is here Mercanc?as Prohibidas y Restringidas | ADUANAS DIGITAL. Mainly drugs, guns, any environmental items which are under threat like black coral, conch shells, tortoise shell and artefacts. You can't smuggle animals out nor plants which are from national parks. I really cannot see any issue with the odd auyama seeds and coconut water. People have brought seeds for me all the time - only thing ever confiscated was a million times more valuable - a pound of parsnips.

Matilda

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanks, mat. i will be under schengen restrictions but there is rarely any luggage control. i try to stay within legal limits with large stuff, like alcohol. this is easily seen item. normally i do not take much with me, mainly coffee and chocolate, few small bottles of rum.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
if you're worried about the seeds... unzip the bag liner and put them there...

must have been left over from the friend I borrowed the bag from --------- sort of story

or 'its just mouse droppings'..... BIG mice......

put them in a Mamajuana bottle... use can use the bottle later

Feb 7, 2007
Customs regulations | Lux Express

A traveller may bring along from non-EU countries:
5 retail packages of seeds, each weighing 5 grams
5 kg of fruit and vegetables

Potatoes, soil and the following plants are not allowed to bring along without a phytosanitary certificate: serviceberry, flowering quince, cotoneaster, hawthorn, quince, Japanese medlar, apple, common medlar, firethorn, pear, mountain ash, photinia; citrus, kumquat, poncirus, grapevine as well as cut flowers and pot plants of chrysanthemum, carnation and orchid.

I do not see papaya on the list.

Just bring the whole dam'thing

and here is the whole summary from IATA website
http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/DE-Germany-customs-currency-airport-tax-regulations-details.htm

Last year I took a pack of guineitos verdes with me, no problem.

Also some specifics about fruit imports in eprsonal luggage
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...chment_data/file/267073/personal-plants-1.pdf

Basically... I wouldn't worry about it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.