DR on the Worst Caribbean Port list

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I came across these two articles today. I can't help but wonder how Amber Cove is going to rate if it ever gets finished. I also didn't agree with one articles description of Samana, and I found it funny that they even spelled the name wrong.

5 Cruise Ship Ports That Suck
https://www.yahoo.com/travel/the-worst-caribbean-cruise-ports-of-call-104735967252.html?hp=1

not once, but twice. holy moses.

Amber Cove is buzzing along nicely..it will get finished in 2015

they spelled Samana wrong? where? i missed that one.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I came across these two articles today. I can't help but wonder how Amber Cove is going to rate if it ever gets finished. I also didn't agree with one articles description of Samana, and I found it funny that they even spelled the name wrong.

5 Cruise Ship Ports That Suck
https://www.yahoo.com/travel/the-worst-caribbean-cruise-ports-of-call-104735967252.html?hp=1

I would have to agree with some aspects of this article. Samana is not really a port. All passengers going off the ship have to be transported via small boats to either Cayo Levantado or the dock in Samana City. There is a nice beach on Cayo Levantado but not a public one in Samana City. The footbridge, which is an icon of the city, is in parts falling apart and much garbage is on the ground. There is not much to do in Samana itself but if you sign up for a tour you can go zip lining, visit Limon Falls, visit Playa Valle or Playa Ricon or the Taino Museum. Samana is kind of an after thought for tourists on board cruise ships.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i saw it; Somana. jeezus; how much effort and research does it take to at least get the name right?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I would have to agree with some aspects of this article. Samana is not really a port. All passengers going off the ship have to be transported via small boats to either Cayo Levantado or the dock in Samana City. There is a nice beach on Cayo Levantado but not a public one in Samana City. The footbridge, which is an icon of the city, is in parts falling apart and much garbage is on the ground. There is not much to do in Samana itself but if you sign up for a tour you can go zip lining, visit Limon Falls, visit Playa Valle or Playa Ricon or the Taino Museum. Samana is kind of an after thought for tourists on board cruise ships.

hence the 18% return rate, lowest in the caribbean.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
We like the Samana city area just the way it is -- the less tourists, the better and the more inaccurate articles the better.

In fact, just knowing they're congregating on the nearby island of Cayo Levantado puts me on edge. What if one or two were washed into the sea and carried by the tides to Samana? That could involve a search and rescue party that would then tell others how beautiful Samana is. No, we can't have that.

The solution is to deploy nets along the coast of Cayo when tourists are present to prevent such a disaster .

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i wrote numerous essays on things i know nothing about. one of many little jobs i had. all i had to do what to read few articles and them summarize them using "own words". easy peasy.

manny20

Oct 2, 2012
Yea it's true samana is not really a port,with all the money group punta Cana makes,enlarging the airport and stuff I'm surprised there is not a sick ass port over in the east coast

Cocoa6705

Apr 22, 2014
One of the tips from the article, should you find yourself in one of these ports (or similar): •Consider staying onboard for a spa day.

Just what our North Coast friends want to hear.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
So many business opportunities gone to waste.

IE The glass is half full!!!

A Domincan is someone who would rather sell you two beach towels at an inflated price
today then thousands of beach towels at normal business price, starting tomorrow.

S?lo hoy, no es posible el d?a de ma?ana.

Note that Canadians, Italians, and French are also rather myopic.

DS