Vacuum cleaner needed

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Where can I buy a decent vacuum cleaner in the Bavaro area? Super Lama seems to only have the little hand-held Dirt Devil clone and Corropio in san Juan had none at all. I know power is the killer of all things here, but having a decent one shipped via Amazon is ~$100 in shipping alone.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
That's a challenge. Don't recall having seen any but you could check Ferreteria Americana and perhaps Compra/Venta la General close to Friusa. If not maybe in Higuey?

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Americana didn't have any last I looked, nor the ferritaria going south on Av Estados Unido. My limitation of the quad I drive is that I'm limited to city-street speeds, so I can't get on the highway. I'd have to get a ride to Higuey to go there. Or take a trip to Sirenis in SD on EB, and just consider the $20 fare part of the cost of the damned thing.

Maybe there are appliance vendors in Veron? I can get there on Av Barcelo on my quad.

thomasj

Mar 31, 2010
You can buy factory reconditioned Hoover bag less vacuum cleaners for under $100 on eBay. They are like new. Add $50 for shipping and avoid the outrages prices they charge here.
Your housekeeper may quit because women here prefer to raise lots of dust with the broom. Eventually you will find one who likes to vacuum.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
You can buy factory reconditioned Hoover bag less vacuum cleaners for under $100 on eBay. They are like new. Add $50 for shipping and avoid the outrages prices they charge here.

More like ~$100 or more in shipping, as decent ones are normally 20+ lbs. I'm not paying more in shipping than a vacuum itself costs if I can avoid it.

And yes, I'm aware that buying one in-country has the shipping costs baked into the sales price.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
I like the Sears shopvac's, very powerful and useful. Just looked on the sears.com website, you can get a 5 gal for 3170 pesos and have it shipped, 12 lbs and less than 200 dollars so should come through without a hitch.

Sears.com

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
2 models at Nacional in PC Village. Vacmaster 1.5gal 3,695 and Daewoo 3295pesos. Small but better than nothing!

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Im glad i never had one here....
but i used to hire a guy on a motorbike who drove around with one ...once a month was fine with me.... but i dont know how to find one(he vacuumed)...might be a good bis. make some extra $

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Im glad i never had one here....
but i used to hire a guy on a motorbike who drove around with one ...once a month was fine with me.... but i dont know how to find one(he vacuumed)...might be a good bis. make some extra $

You must not have a long-haired beast of a cat. He sheds this time of year like crazy (used to needing a winter coat). Chasing the tumbleweeds of his hair are a thing of the past. Or, at least until the used vacuum I bought dies on me from the crappy power here.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Is your $100 shipping using a mudanza ro the courier type ?
they charge by the pound... I mistakenly sent my weedwhacker that way.... $100 later

Buy in MIA, ship here , shouldn't be $40-50....Lowe's/Home Depot/Sears = free shipping to the mudanza

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Is your $100 shipping using a mudanza ro the courier type ?
they charge by the pound... I mistakenly sent my weedwhacker that way.... $100 later

Buy in MIA, ship here , shouldn't be $40-50....Lowe's/Home Depot/Sears = free shipping to the mudanza

I have a forwarding service, ~169/lbs, which is just over $4 US. A decent vacuum will be 20-30 lbs, so do the math. I don't ship enough to establish an account with a mundaza.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have a forwarding service, ~169/lbs, which is just over $4 US. A decent vacuum will be 20-30 lbs, so do the math. I don't ship enough to establish an account with a mundaza.

You don't need an "account". All you need is someone in the US to give it to a mundanza for you, and it will come right to your door. Some of them even accept COD payment for the shipping. But they don't ship by weight, they are more on size/value of shipment.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
You must not have a long-haired beast of a cat. He sheds this time of year like crazy (used to needing a winter coat). Chasing the tumbleweeds of his hair are a thing of the past. Or, at least until the used vacuum I bought dies on me from the crappy power here.

send it to a shop and fix it.....they can fix the motor brushes....and i dont mean the vacuum brushes....motor ones....

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Just order a Bissell portable off Amazon. Light so shipping wasn't much and they are inexpensive