New c?dulas: A good experience

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Folks I just came back from Sto Dgo--look at the calendar, it's a Saturday!!
Yes, you folks out there that have been waiting to get your new c?dulas, here is the indside scoop; THE PLACE ON LUPER?N IS OPEN ON SATURDAYS AND SUNDAYS UNTIL 4:00!!! WITH EXCELLENT SERVICE.

I kid you not. You can change your marital status, residence, profession, anything on the ID card...and it's all free and no hassle.

The place, as you should know is known to taxis (Apolo for example) a "Extranger?a" or Johnson's across the street from Shell on Luperon..(In Spanish of course..)

Remember as of Next January 2015, the old cedula will be worthless in any formal transaction..

Cordially,

The Curmudgeon Hillbilly

HB

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
HB, wished I had known you were going, I'd have gone with you! My plans to go this week fell through..

So...anyone going to Santo Domingo within the next 10 days or so, I'll share in driving expenses. PM me. Thanks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Rose: I took the bus. Metro --> Sto Dgo-->Apolo Taxi (RD$200--> Extranger?a/Johnson en la Luperon-->Taxi to Metro on Churchill--> Bus to Santiago..All told RD$1020 pesos and an afternoon. You could go right now and be home this evening.

HB

donP

Dec 14, 2008
JCE Extranjer?a

I took the bus. Metro --> Sto Dgo-->Apolo Taxi (RD$200--> Extranger?a

We almost met...
We were there yesterday late morning, I was the only one!
Great service (all done in 25 min.).

The 'encargada' was very friendly and even offered us to call a taxi (Apolo).
Great service (all done in 25 min.)

donP

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Anyone interested in renewing...we are putting together a shuttle service to go to/from Santo Domingo and I am checking out interest from those of you on DR1. We probably need at least 5 people. PM me if interested. It would be within the next 10 days. I am only looking for interest now; when the date is confirmed, then we'd need commitment. Thx.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Folks I just came back from Sto Dgo--look at the calendar, it's a Saturday!!
Yes, you folks out there that have been waiting to get your new c?dulas, here is the indside scoop; THE PLACE ON LUPER?N IS OPEN ON SATURDAYS AND SUNDAYS UNTIL 4:00!!! WITH EXCELLENT SERVICE.

I kid you not. You can change your marital status, residence, profession, anything on the ID card...and it's all free and no hassle.

The place, as you should know is known to taxis (Apolo for example) a "Extranger?a" or Johnson's across the street from Shell on Luperon..(In Spanish of course..)

Remember as of Next January 2015, the old cedula will be worthless in any formal transaction..

Cordially,

The Curmudgeon Hillbilly

HB[/QUOT

My wife and I are here for 6 mths gone for 6. Our current cedulas expire in February. From your experience do we renew asap or can we wait until the expirey date. Unfortunately most things on the DR 1 forum get side tracked and getting a reasonable response is like herding cats. We renewed our residencies and drivers licenses this year but not the cedulas. Please share what you know.
Thanks

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Our current cedulas expire in February.(...)We renewed our residencies and drivers licenses this year but not the cedulas.

If you renew your 'cedula' now it will expire the same date as your 'residencia'.
Until 10th, January renewal is free.

Yesterday they told me that it is not yet known whether there will be a charge after that date.

So, it is up to you to decide; there is no obligation to exchange the 'cedula' now.

donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
follow donP'sadvice/.... they'll link your res/cedula.... get bthe new one before the deadline

why Not?

no cost to renew now... will be in Feb

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
So if I renew now will the expirey date be Feb 2015 or will they renew it to 2018 like my residency. I fully expect there will be a fee to go to 2018 and that is fine but I really dont want to go to SD and do the renewal if it expires in 2015 like my current one.
The on going moving target here is challenging at best but for gods sake would thes clowns make a rule and live by it.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
thought I'd report that I went to Santo Domingo on the 8:20 Metro bus from Sosua - traveled with a dear friend who was going there - and from the bus stop took a taxi to the Extrangeria and took care of getting my new cedula all by myself, speaking no Spanish. There were many people there when I arrived at maybe 1:30 and was out of there in an hour, caught the 3:30 Caribe Tour Bus back to Sosua and I'm done. It expires the same as my residency, and cost nothing. They were very helpful - even though you really don't need to speak or know Spanish. There are a couple of people who speak English. One of the women in the office called a taxi for me when I was ready to go and it arrived in 3 minutes.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Great. It brings joy to my heart and renews my faith when the process works as it's supposed to at least sometimes...

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
considering how painful it mostly is and how much time it always takes and how usually unfriendly it is to go to governmental offices back in europe, i really appreciate the friendly caribbean way, it is one of the prime reasons why i stayed here in the first place.

Mike

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
thought I'd report that I went to Santo Domingo on the 8:20 Metro bus from Sosua - traveled with a dear friend who was going there - and from the bus stop took a taxi to the Extrangeria and took care of getting my new cedula all by myself, speaking no Spanish. There were many people there when I arrived at maybe 1:30 and was out of there in an hour, caught the 3:30 Caribe Tour Bus back to Sosua and I'm done. It expires the same as my residency, and cost nothing. They were very helpful - even though you really don't need to speak or know Spanish. There are a couple of people who speak English. One of the women in the office called a taxi for me when I was ready to go and it arrived in 3 minutes.

absolutely right.....

they know why you're there and process you almost wordlessly -- if that's the way you want to do it.

1:30 is almost the busiest time of the day, from my experience (3 visits)

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
DonP is absolutly right. We drove to SD on Monday morning and where in and out in 20 minutes. Cedula now expires on the same day and year as residency and it was free. Thanks DonP for your post

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
To obtain new cedula do you have to renew Expired residency first?

DonP is absolutly right. We drove to SD on Monday morning and where in and out in 20 minutes. Cedula now expires on the same day and year as residency and it was free. Thanks DonP for your post
DO YOU HAVE TO RENEW Expired Residency first before you can get the new cedula?