Underage Girl Gets Killed in a 'Caba?a'.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Freedom of Commenting

Because if you were to ask a Dominicano he would tell you its none of your business.

Well, you see Se?or Rey, I observe the culture where I live.

I am not accustomed, however, to ask a Dominican whether or not to express my opinion.
Not even my Dominican wife... :laugh:

donP

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This part of the "culture" is one of the things I love most about living here. See no, hear no, speak no....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
they don't actually tell you in so many words. they just don't tell you anything.

the young woman who manages the apartment complex in which i live suddenly became ill one day. she has been in the hospital for 2 months, and is being fed by intravenous means. nobody in her family or circle of friends will tell me what has caused her condition. they are cordial to me when i meet up with them at the hospital, but they are clammed up about the situation. it's none of my business.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It may not be for that reason.
Her family and friends may simply want to protect her privacy.

donP

i understand that. however, it just makes me wonder what kind of a sudden illness could be a matter requiring privacy.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This part of the "culture" is one of the things I love most about living here. See no, hear no, speak no....

LOL, Dominican love to gossip, and the more malicious the better. Although my wife has told me not to look at people and then talk because they'll think I'm talking about them. I have a habit of looking directly at people and making eye contact. This can be dangerous in certain cultures, like Colombia or Mexico but not so much the DR. Here, they try to sell you something.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
they don't actually tell you in so many words. they just don't tell you anything.

the young woman who manages the apartment complex in which i live suddenly became ill one day. she has been in the hospital for 2 months, and is being fed by intravenous means. nobody in her family or circle of friends will tell me what has caused her condition. they are cordial to me when i meet up with them at the hospital, but they are clammed up about the situation. it's none of my business.

Sounds like bullsh!t. Dominicans can't keep their mouths shut. If Pedro has diarrhea, everybody in the neighborhood knows about that, including all details like what was the color of his sh!t.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Sounds like bullsh!t. Dominicans can't keep their mouths shut. If Pedro has diarrhea, everybody in the neighborhood knows about that, including all details like what was the color of his sh!t.

sounds like you don't understand the sociological dynamics we are discussing here. their neighbors are their neighbors. a foreigner is just that; an outsider. what they will share among themselves is not for the consumption of others who are not a part of their group.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
as for the OP Theme,
sounds like a 15 years old working Gal got shot by a guy she refused to take as a client. i just wonder what Justice the parents are talking about, as it should be them who should be brought to justice, aside of the shooter of course.
as for the "it's not your business" theme,
my own experiences do not coincide with above descriptions. the talks about things are around here between dominicans and foreigners who live their share of time as neighbours with the families, the same as between dominicans alone.
as for privacy/not talking about the illnes/naming the illness of a family member, i understand that completely. in other countries you dont tell it everybody around neither. and yes, there are illnesses which are kept more "private"/in secret than others.

Mike

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Since many dont read books or work, chismoso is a favorite pastime.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I can honestly say in all the years I've lived here, and the tens of thousands of conversations I've had with neighbors, friends, and people I don't even know in the street, I've NEVER had somebody tell me "It's none of my business"

Where in the world do you live???

Interesting. I find it hard to believe in all of your years living here you have never had seen or heard something that you
weren't meant to see or hear, asked someone ( a Dominican neighbor, friend or person in the street) about it and they're
response was " its not your business, don't get involved".
I can not tell you how many times I have seen or heard something I disagreed with and wanted to get involved/ stop from
happening only to have one of my Dominican friends or neighbors pull me aside and tell me "its not your business stay out
of it".

Where in the world do I live? Lets see, first it was Las Flores, Cristo Rey SD then Urb Hilario, Nagua afterwards Los Charamicos, Sosua and now Barrio La Campana here in SD. Without jumping to any conclusions, my guess is you and I have different levels of "exposure" to different everyday situations here in the DR.

My apologies for the "off topic" post.

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004

My experience with some Dominicans is they LOOOOOOOOOOVE being in everyone else's business, and will freely pass along any information they hear to whomever they are gossiping with. But their shyte they keep to themselves, especially when it's some sort of personal calamity or shortcoming that would make them look bad to others.

As for this particular incident, it's par for the course in a society that hyper sexualizes women and demeans them at almost every turn.

bdablack

Jun 30, 2011
Because if you were to ask a Dominicano he would tell you its none of your business.

Dominicana for Dominicans! Well gringos you heard it now act in like fashion; America for Americans! Let the roundup and deportations begin!! Starting January when the new senate and congress get sworn in, first order of business, no more marches by illegals telling Americans how they should conduct their immigration policy(ies)!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Dominicana for Dominicans! Well gringos you heard it now act in like fashion; America for Americans! Let the roundup and deportations begin!! Starting January when the new senate and congress get sworn in, first order of business, no more marches by illegals telling Americans how they should conduct their immigration policy(ies)!

Well if they are illegals, self-rounding themselves up makes for easier deportation. Let the protests continue.
Yes, certain illnesses like AIDS , are not talked about.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
i understand that. however, it just makes me wonder what kind of a sudden illness could be a matter requiring privacy.

When my mother had the ChickV she didn't want us to tell everyone. She said it was really no one else's business. She often doesn't want to come off as "weak" or "whiny", and also there's always certain people whose visit she'd rather avoid.