Weapons shown off in public places will be seized

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Weapons shown off in public places will be seized

SANTO DOMINGO. ?Anyone that exhibits a firearm in a discotheque, a drink, a colmadon, in any public place, will have its seized, even though he has the corresponding permit, and it will be delivered to the Ministry of Interior and Police.?

The information was offered yesterday by the chief of the Police, Major General Manuel Castro Castillo, who revealed that with this measure they seek to avoid deaths during the Christmas festivities.

Castro Castillo explained that the exhibition of firearms in public places, where people go to share entertainment with friends, will not be permitted.

At the same time, the high ranking official issued a call for the use of good judgment in order to avoid regrettable incidents, and avoid taking pain to Dominican families during the Christmas holidays.

The highest ranking officer in the National Police indicated that each citizen has the duty to ensure that the Christmas festivities occur in peace, and do not become a period of mourning.

Source: DiarioLibre

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
If they are going to arrest all the hombres that carry guns at the cock fights they better bring a bus.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
You can have a concealed weapon, but they draw the line when you start showing it.

WOW..... I feel so much safer now!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Are our roads safer because the authorities confront traffic law breakers?

Fast forward, are our public places safer from firearms?

Regards,

PJT

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
in the DR, exhibiting your firearm is a macho man thing. every mope with some old rusty Taurus has to show it off, as part of a power trip. gets them more poon tang.

in the rest of the caribbean, it gets you killed, because another guy wants it for himself.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Can you say "selective enforcement" ?? I can just imagine the police trying to disarm someone in the street while
putting their lives in danger for such a small monthly salary. Not gonna happen. They will probably just give out a
bunch of warnings.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I was walking my dogs a few days ago. As I passed a very large house a man came out of the house holding an Uzi sized assault weapon by his side. He crossed the street to the finca and called through the fence for a 'maleta'. Someone handed him a small bag and he returned to his home across the street.

Can't be too safe buying eggs?

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
Ok they have covered the weapons in public. Now what about all the drunk drivers. They are way more deadly than some "Hoodbooger" showing off his gun.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
moving in the right direction ?

Ok they have covered the weapons in public. Now what about all the drunk drivers. They are way more deadly than some "Hoodbooger" showing off his gun.

I hope we can agree that a drunk "hoodbooger" (had to look that up) showing his weapon in public is rather terrifying :pirate:

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
I hope we can agree that a drunk "hoodbooger" (had to look that up) showing his weapon in public is rather terrifying :pirate:

But far more infrequent than a drunk driver. I can say in over 15 years I saw one idiot showing off his gun. But at Christmas time I can count the amount of drunk drivers I see on the street.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
But far more infrequent than a drunk driver. I can say in over 15 years I saw one idiot showing off his gun. But at Christmas time I can count the amount of drunk drivers I see on the street.

only at Christmas? it's a daily occurrence.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Many of the males in my family carry guns, mostly the .45 Taurus and mostly concealed. Given who they are in the community they will not have their guns confiscated when carrying them in public.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
You can have a concealed weapon, but they draw the line when you start showing it.

WOW..... I feel so much safer now!

no, you are wrong.
the Carry permit of a firearm anyways since always states clearly that you are NOT allowed to carry(not just show) a firearm at public drinking places like car washes, discotheques, drink points etc. it is just that usually nobody bothers when you carry your gun there/at such locations. that you have to carry a Gun conceiled is anyways mandatory, you are never and at no location allowed to openly "show/exhibit" a Gun carried around, with no permit other than the Official/police/military Gun Permit.
this news just means that over the holidays the police will have a closer look and seize really the guns carried at place s where they are not allowed to be carried.
nothing bad on that, they should do so all year around i say.

Mike

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Many of the males in my family carry guns, mostly the .45 Taurus and mostly concealed. Given who they are in the community they will not have their guns confiscated when carrying them in public.

Dutchie, .45 and .44 are not givenpermits to private persons, they are the calibers for official use only, like the military and the police. your many family members from the military or police then anyways would be allowed to carry their guns openly, the obligation to concealed carriage is for private persons and their allowed calibers only.

Mike

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Mike Fisher I can not recall seeing a police officer enforcing this law ..the whole situation is a joke ,,On satursday between Payahibe and the capital there were more than 6 AMET officers with the new radar guns and by their side were one or two miltary with shotguns .. The cars on the left lane all passed the AMET man doing 140 minimum and AMET only stopped the cars in the right lane going at the legitimate speed limit ...The AMET people can not use the speed gun ..I saw none pointed at cars coming at them .. We live at present in a rather dangerous country where caution is the best defence

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Dutchie, .45 and .44 are not givenpermits to private persons, they are the calibers for official use only, like the military and the police. your many family members from the military or police then anyways would be allowed to carry their guns openly, the obligation to concealed carriage is for private persons and their allowed calibers only.

Mike

Thank you Mike, I knew they were official guns. Just highlighting the issue here. Many of the people, showing off, their gun are off-duty officiales, basically anybody that falls under what is called the internal and external defense forces in whatever capacity. Not only police, but also firemen and members of the judicial branches. Sometimes people have honorary or voluntary positions.

This is not limited to the usual suspects, as even I was offered an honorary position that would allow me to carry.

What I'm trying to say is that many people are allowed to carry on- and off duty and I believe that will continue to be the case for the future.