Car exportation from DR to USA

silversilver

Dec 15, 2014
Hey everybody! I've been wondering( stressing really) about being able to export my baby, a 1970 Chevy Chevelle. I bought it here in DR and was about to move back to united states but I really dont want to leave it here. I am going back to ny. Some details:
I am a born and raised united states citizen with dual citizen with DR
The car is modified with a newer engine/transmission off a 1997 s-10 blazer
Custom interior, paint and sound system and thats about it.
What would be the steps to actually get it to usa? As far as I know, the law is a bit more lean since the car is older than 25 years old and the car was made in usa for usa( but exported sometime in its life).

I'm really stressing here since some people tell me it cant be done. Can someone give me in full details about the process of all this, what can or cant be done for a car this old, what needs to be removed or replaced and how to go about it
Please and thank you
-Sent from my BlackBerry Z10

silversilver

Dec 15, 2014
Also, I have some hope, since now r32( pretty sure its this one or the r31) skyline is legal to import from japan now since its 25 years old, and that car is a rhd car

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
I have a neighbor that exported a "Prius" back to the states. I will ask him the details on how he did it. The thing that came to mind was that nobody exports cars TO the US and the US customs took the car apart and put it back together again......kind of.... You can figure out as to why. Just a heads up on that.
I'll get back after we talk.
Respectfully....

Jan 9, 2004
Hey everybody! I've been wondering( stressing really) about being able to export my baby, a 1970 Chevy Chevelle. I bought it here in DR and was about to move back to united states but I really dont want to leave it here. I am going back to ny. Some details:
I am a born and raised united states citizen with dual citizen with DR
The car is modified with a newer engine/transmission off a 1997 s-10 blazer
Custom interior, paint and sound system and thats about it.
What would be the steps to actually get it to usa? As far as I know, the law is a bit more lean since the car is older than 25 years old and the car was made in usa for usa( but exported sometime in its life).

I'm really stressing here since some people tell me it cant be done. Can someone give me in full details about the process of all this, what can or cant be done for a car this old, what needs to be removed or replaced and how to go about it
Please and thank you
-Sent from my BlackBerry Z10

Yes, it can be done......but it may not be cheap.

Ordinarily, your vehicle could come back with little fan fare as it meets the 25 year rule and was made in the USA.

However, this vehicle has been modified with the 1997 engine/transmission and will be required to meet USA EPA emissions standards as those were in effect in 1997.

Further, the vehicle must have the safety features required by law during the year of its manufacture, but as you have "modified" the vehicle, you may be required to bring it into compliance with certain safety standards as in affect during 1997.

Bottom line:

You are not sending back a recently imported Toyota that was made in/for the US market.

You are sending back a modified 25+ year old vehicle, that may need further extensive/expensive modifications to be allowed entry.

This booklet may provide further assistance;

Importing a Motor Vehicle | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
As soon as that puppy ( nice car) gets back to the Cold of NY and the roads its going to rust fast.. id sell it..

silversilver

Dec 15, 2014
Yes, it can be done......but it may not be cheap.

Ordinarily, your vehicle could come back with little fan fare as it meets the 25 year rule and was made in the USA.

However, this vehicle has been modified with the 1997 engine/transmission and will be required to meet USA EPA emissions standards as those were in effect in 1997.

Further, the vehicle must have the safety features required by law during the year of its manufacture, but as you have "modified" the vehicle, you may be required to bring it into compliance with certain safety standards as in affect during 1997.

Bottom line:

You are not sending back a recently imported Toyota that was made in/for the US market.

You are sending back a modified 25+ year old vehicle, that may need further extensive/expensive modifications to be allowed entry.

This booklet may provide further assistance;

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Well that was a very insightful post, thank you.
So from I can gather, its going to be treated as a 1997 s10 emission wise because of the engine combo. What if I was to swap in a period correct carbed engine? A chevy 350 or even a straight 6, what then?
If I swapped in the motor from a 1965-1972 period( when most smog laws were non existant at the time) will it become something easier to do then?

Jan 9, 2004
Well that was a very insightful post, thank you.
So from I can gather, its going to be treated as a 1997 s10 emission wise because of the engine combo. What if I was to swap in a period correct carbed engine? A chevy 350 or even a straight 6, what then?
If I swapped in the motor from a 1965-1972 period( when most smog laws were non existant at the time) will it become something easier to do then?

Good idea....and probably far less costly than what you are likely to encounter with the 97' equipment

The question is, can you find a carbed motor and appropriate transmission in the DR? And don't forget a new wiring harness, etc.?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

silversilver

Dec 15, 2014
Good idea....and probably far less costly than what you are likely to encounter with the 97' equipment

The question is, can you find a carbed motor and appropriate transmission in the DR? And don't forget a new wiring harness, etc.?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I do not doubt that I can, if anything ill order a rebuild kit and rebuild the old straight 6 that came with it. The older cars did not have as many wires and im sure a new makeshift harness could be made from the one on the car currently.
My new question is, just assuming that I get the car running on older gear, how much would it cost me from the docks of dr to the docks of whereever it lands? Who should I call for more info?( I tried the usa hotline but the guy wasnt very helpful) for now id prefer a number I can call from usa( since im going to nj for a short 3 days).
Whats the process in detail other than steam clean the car, hand into a dock, do some paper work and drive away in ny.
Thanks again for all the help, I really feel like a lost fish in the ocean

Jan 9, 2004
I do not doubt that I can, if anything ill order a rebuild kit and rebuild the old straight 6 that came with it. The older cars did not have as many wires and im sure a new makeshift harness could be made from the one on the car currently.
My new question is, just assuming that I get the car running on older gear, how much would it cost me from the docks of dr to the docks of whereever it lands? Who should I call for more info?( I tried the usa hotline but the guy wasnt very helpful) for now id prefer a number I can call from usa( since im going to nj for a short 3 days).
Whats the process in detail other than steam clean the car, hand into a dock, do some paper work and drive away in ny.
Thanks again for all the help, I really feel like a lost fish in the ocean

Be patient and wait for Botemon's response.

Lots of paperwork/forms in the US. From the DR perspective, matricula, documentation the vehicle is not stolen, there are no liens/impediments, etc.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

silversilver

Dec 15, 2014
Be patient and wait for Botemon's response.

Lots of paperwork/forms in the US. From the DR perspective, matricula, documentation the vehicle is not stolen, there are no liens/impediments, etc.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I will await his answer with pleasure. Thanks again for the information you provided, it really spread a glimmer of hope on the subject!

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
Greetings,
Well......I spoke with my neighbor this evening and gleaned a little info. I wish I could be more help but basically what playacaribe2 stated above. They just check for accidents and tickets....clear title etc and that's about it. From Santo Domingo to MIA the shipping cost was 1k US. (if you need the shipping company name I will provide that to you). It was the easiest thing my friend had ever done in the DR, and he has been here 30 years! LOL!!!
Like I mentioned before, when he picked up the car in MIA he quizzed the customs guys there as to why they rifled through his vehicle. The customs guys said that it is VERY rare that a car is shipped FROM the DR......so....again...you can figure that out. It was a "less than four year old" Prius so the EPA had no dramas with it. He did not even mention anything about it. If you have any more specific questions for him, feel free to pass them along. Again....wish I could be more help.
Respectfully......

silversilver

Dec 15, 2014
Greetings,
Well......I spoke with my neighbor this evening and gleaned a little info. I wish I could be more help but basically what playacaribe2 stated above. They just check for accidents and tickets....clear title etc and that's about it. From Santo Domingo to MIA the shipping cost was 1k US. (if you need the shipping company name I will provide that to you). It was the easiest thing my friend had ever done in the DR, and he has been here 30 years! LOL!!!
Like I mentioned before, when he picked up the car in MIA he quizzed the customs guys there as to why they rifled through his vehicle. The customs guys said that it is VERY rare that a car is shipped FROM the DR......so....again...you can figure that out. It was a "less than four year old" Prius so the EPA had no dramas with it. He did not even mention anything about it. If you have any more specific questions for him, feel free to pass them along. Again....wish I could be more help.
Respectfully......
Thank you for passing along this information! If possible, id like the name of that shipping carrier. I just got off the phone with epa yesterday and I am exempt from all smog laws if my car's engine is original or a direct replacement, sounds easy enough to do. The guy was helpful and said that the custom paint, interior and sound didnt matter, they only really cared for drive trains.
Today I will be calling customs ( as recommened by the epa) to see if it will be any problem not having the original engine.

Thank you so very much for the helpful insight

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thank you for passing along this information! If possible, id like the name of that shipping carrier. I just got off the phone with epa yesterday and I am exempt from all smog laws if my car's engine is original or a direct replacement, sounds easy enough to do. The guy was helpful and said that the custom paint, interior and sound didnt matter, they only really cared for drive trains.
Today I will be calling customs ( as recommened by the epa) to see if it will be any problem not having the original engine.

Just curious, when you get the car to Fla then what? Are you driving from there to NY?

Jan 9, 2004

SS:

A direct replacement engine as defined by the EPA is one that was manufactured to meet specs in use at the time the vehicle was built.

Your 97 engine/transmission do not meet those specs. Your vehicle will likely need to meet 97 pollution control specs to enter...and that may require certain other modifications....especially if the 97 changeover occurred in the DR...where, quite frankly, no one cares.

Good Luck and keep us informed.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
This is a link for emissions standards in New York. Florida has no state inspection. New York standards are based on the year of the car and not the year of the engine. If you buy a new crate motor in all fairness you can't be made to certify to new engine standards.

New York State Vehicle Safety/Emissions Inspection Program | New York State DMV

This is a federal matter...not state. The EPA will make the final decision on what, if anything, needs to be done to enter the US.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

silversilver

Dec 15, 2014
Just curious, when you get the car to Fla then what? Are you driving from there to NY?
Honestly? No idea. I'm totally up for a road trip if I have the time. If not ill see if I can have it towed. I really dont mind to drive it though, it is my daily after all ;)

SS:

A direct replacement engine as defined by the EPA is one that was manufactured to meet specs in use at the time the vehicle was built.

Your 97 engine/transmission do not meet those specs. Your vehicle will likely need to meet 97 pollution control specs to enter...and that may require certain other modifications....especially if the 97 changeover occurred in the DR...where, quite frankly, no one cares.

Good Luck and keep us informed.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Yes, its already established that a swap is in order. But could you be a bit more detailed on what a direct replacement is?
Id assume that its an engine made in 1968-1972 that complies with the smog laws of that time( aka non).
Still do not know if it has to be exactly the same type of engine( straight 6) or can it be another engine that the car could have came with from factory for that year( a v8 maybe). Because for 1970 there were 2-3 different types of straight 6 engines, I doubt ill be able to find the exact same engine

Jan 9, 2004
Honestly? No idea. I'm totally up for a road trip if I have the time. If not ill see if I can have it towed. I really dont mind to drive it though, it is my daily after all ;)

Yes, its already established that a swap is in order. But could you be a bit more detailed on what a direct replacement is?
Id assume that its an engine made in 1968-1972 that complies with the smog laws of that time( aka non).
Still do not know if it has to be exactly the same type of engine( straight 6) or can it be another engine that the car could have came with from factory for that year( a v8 maybe). Because for 1970 there were 2-3 different types of straight 6 engines, I doubt ill be able to find the exact same engine

Lots of direct replacement engines out there. Do a google search. Understand they are not cheap. A crated ready to drop in 350.

Will likely set you back $5k. Search Hemmings. You just might find a parts car with a good motor/tran.

However, this all begs the question...is it worth it? And I do get the mentality....as I have 65 Pontiac that I have probably spent 2-3 times on what the car cost new.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013

There is a new carrier that is shipping by roll on roll of from Pennsauken NJ to Santo Domingo. I am working in a dealer in Santo Domingo and this company approached us to use them for shipping. We dont have any experience with them yet and cant vouge personally for them but it is certainly more attractive to have your car arrive in pennsauken 08110 less than 2 hours from NYC than Miami. It is also $700 and change. Again, I cant attest to their ethics/delivering on promises, but it might be worth checking out. Here is the info. They have been around for 34 years but the service to NJ is supposedly new.

The miami carrier is Sea Board Marine Seaboard Marine Welcome › Seaboard Marine

Henriquez & Asociados SRL
Julio ortega frier no 14 zona universitaria Santo Domingo
809-688-2727 www.mhenriqez.com.do

silversilver

Dec 15, 2014
Lots of direct replacement engines out there. Do a google search. Understand they are not cheap. A crated ready to drop in 350.

Will likely set you back $5k. Search Hemmings. You just might find a parts car with a good motor/tran.

However, this all begs the question...is it worth it? And I do get the mentality....as I have 65 Pontiac that I have probably spent 2-3 times on what the car cost new.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of going to a junkyard in DR, pulling some decent old engine out of a truck for peanuts or something, get it running well enough to pass customs and then go from there when the car is actually at my house in ny. My point now would be to get the car.cheaply to ny without much hassle. Knowning myself, I most likely wont stay carbed for long considering that LS engines are a dime a dozen at the local ny junkyard
So what im trying to say
Buy a used cheap engine that could be considered a direct replacement
Swap it in and make it legal for customs
Once its here, go all out with the fancy engines.
That would work too, correct?