Dominican Republic 7th most lawless place in the world

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
It s that time of year with bogus ranking. Let's see (slow day)

5-South Africa
6-Chad
7-DR
8-Honduras

The winner is Iraq.

:rolleyes:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Another joke of an article...So I guess the rule of law is observed more in places like Syria, Congo, Libya, etc...

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
All if these "Statistics" are very subjective. Anyone here can pick 20 countries way more dangerous than the Dominican Republic.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Matilda, you can't win today. Post a positive article, post a negative article, they'll jump all over you either way.

:(

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
When came the nice second article, people are left with the vision of Chad as DR, it was a little too late. :)

PanfilodeVaca

Jan 12, 2014
Libya didn't make either list, so it looks like I can spend Spring Break body surfing with ISIS vacationers off Leptis Magna. Just in case, I'll have my doctor fit me up with a neck brace.

Last edited:

exeurodominican

Feb 1, 2014
Today I needed to pick up some documents at the post office in Santiago.
It took me one hour vice versa (maybe 10 km.) It was hard to control myself not shooting anyone.

Now, that’s positive enough I suppose?

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I have been here now for many many yeras,speak fluent spanish ,try to avoid the smallest problem , but I regard even a simple trip to the supermarket now as a real danger . It is hard to rank countries but I totally agree that Honduras,Venezuela , the DR are very dangerous ,,During my various journeys I have seen South African families living behind razor wire fences in JBurg ,have stayed at hotels where you can not leave at night and I think , at least in the capital and in the east , white people are at risk at present ..I think the survey may have left out a few places but there are none on the list that should not be there

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have been here now for many many yeras,speak fluent spanish ,try to avoid the smallest problem , but I regard even a simple trip to the supermarket now as a real danger . It is hard to rank countries but I totally agree that Honduras,Venezuela , the DR are very dangerous ,,During my various journeys I have seen South African families living behind razor wire fences in JBurg ,have stayed at hotels where you can not leave at night and I think , at least in the capital and in the east , white people are at risk at present ..I think the survey may have left out a few places but there are none on the list that should not be there

I guess I should feel fortunate to live in Jarabacoa where I never feel threatened going to the supermarket or parking my car at night...etc. I felt unsafe walking in San Carlos at night, although there didn't appear to be any danger. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
I have been here now for many many yeras,speak fluent spanish ,try to avoid the smallest problem , but I regard even a simple trip to the supermarket now as a real danger . It is hard to rank countries but I totally agree that Honduras,Venezuela , the DR are very dangerous ,,

Where oh where do you live; on the border with Haiti????

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
One week I'm reading an article about how the north coast (Sosua, Cabarete, Cabrera)
is such a great retirement destination. The next week I'm reading an article about how we are one of the top ten
lawless countries in the world? Sounds like a bunch of bs.

I'm sure per capita we have a higher than average crime rate but its still lower then places like El Salvador, Trinidad
and Jamaica.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Political persecution, freedom of speech, corruption, human rights violation, drugs, organised crime, povrety........
DR seems to score on all those points. Just because the natives are not restless doesnt mean these issues do not exist.
If u take in account all the sh!t ure typical dominican has to deal with........ well if the dr was populated by french citizens, it would be civil war......
I always ponder on the resignation (?) of the lower classes. (And no, I am not speaking of ire average expat or dominicans who earn 60k $ a year........ but news flash !!!! At least 70% of the population has a HARD life ).
Fellow campisinos all say "the dr is a great place to live if u have dinero ". And guess what most dont. Those who do, are generally part of the lawless problem.