Nice article about the DR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
god. when did telegraph become so boring and pretentious?

dear writer,
the "glimmer" you felt when you arrived at the eden roc hotel was only me, stirring in my sleep.
sincerely,
a stick lodged up yours

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
god. when did telegraph become so boring and pretentious?

dear writer,
the "glimmer" you felt when you arrived at the eden roc hotel was only me, stirring in my sleep.
sincerely,
a stick lodged up yours

Geesh D, did someone pee in your cornflakes?? It's a nice article, why the negativity????

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I thought it was interesting and makes a change to read nice stuff about the DR rather than murders, suicides and the like. I am sure it was a paid for piece as most are these days and as a writer of paid for articles you do what you are told to. It doesn't mean it isn't true. As far as the going rate is concerned, barker 1964, one of the best payers is International Living and they pay up to US$400 an article. The DR has always had a bad reputation in the UK - when I arrived 14 years ago all I knew was that there was no electricity and food poisoning. It won't do any harm for people to see a different side.

Matilda

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Geesh D, did someone pee in your cornflakes?? It's a nice article, why the negativity????

the article is as boring and pretentious as gwyneth's fleeced straw dry mop mane. i am not talking about the subject, simply pointing tired, forded hipster narrative that is unreadable. this is paid for advertising piece, no need to douche it up as it was in the running for a pulitzer. there are better ways to sell a nice destination. i weep for british journalism.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
the article is as boring and pretentious as gwyneth's fleeced straw dry mop mane. i am not talking about the subject, simply pointing tired, forded hipster narrative that is unreadable. this is paid for advertising piece, no need to douche it up as it was in the running for a pulitzer. there are better ways to sell a nice destination. i weep for british journalism.

Ah, a flicker of hope, somewhere deep in your hatred of DR you do realize it can be a nice destination for many visitors.

You're beginning to remind me of a permanently banned poster named Hernandez who never had a nice thing to say about anything Dominican or in DR.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
beginning to remind you? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

the merit of the article stands. among the flood of hipsterdouchness there are useful facts. but i object the style the message is delivered with. it's generation kardashian school of writing.

PanfilodeVaca

Jan 12, 2014
beginning to remind you? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

the merit of the article stands. among the flood of hipsterdouchness there are useful facts. but i object the style the message is delivered with. it's generation kardashian school of writing.

what do you possibly have against "firmly graspable handles", "that swarthy enfant terrible Cuba" or "families gnawing at heaped plates of chillo"?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

I found it good article, Santo Domingo is sleeping and is trying to wake up, there are a lot turist that they dont like to go to a resort and dont move anywhere, when they give more promotion to Santo Doming I think that Punta Cana will have to share their flights with Santo Domingo Airport and start to work with shared destinations Some days at the beah and some days in the City.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what do you possibly have against "firmly graspable handles", "that swarthy enfant terrible Cuba" or "families gnawing at heaped plates of chillo"?

the luminous incandescence of vaguely corsair pirate treasure caribbean pearl sometimes has a rough, unpolished and natural quality, as if handcrafted by prodigious mother nature herself. gleaming land of the dominican republic exudes an ethereal and almost otherworldly edge of splendor and lambency.
striking a balance between rugged and refined, this unvarnished gem of a delightful arcadia embraces the beauty of its organic surroundings. the island emerges from the ocean’s floor, spreading radiant effulgence of tranquility and sumptuous foliage.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the luminous incandescence of vaguely corsair pirate treasure caribbean pearl sometimes has a rough, unpolished and natural quality, as if handcrafted by prodigious mother nature herself. gleaming land of the dominican republic exudes an ethereal and almost otherworldly edge of splendor and lambency.
striking a balance between rugged and refined, this unvarnished gem of a delightful arcadia embraces the beauty of its organic surroundings. the island emerges from the ocean’s floor, spreading radiant effulgence of tranquility and sumptuous foliage.

u have a translated version for english readers?, lol

Mike

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
there is a clear difference between negative and realistic. I am made sick to my stomach by the fluffy travel writers who are paid to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Just tell me the truth and I will make up my own mind. In a word its offensive. Santo Domingo may be sleeping but it needs to clean up more than wake up.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
When promoting tourism the purpose is to show the best places a country has to offer. I do not
want to see pictures of ghettos or slums. The purpose of a vacation is to relax and have a good time.

Now if I were to go on a mission to help the poor, then I would not mind seeing the poverty or
the misery.

The article Matilda posted shows some of the beautiful places the country has to offer.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When promoting tourism the purpose is to show the best places a country has to offer. I do not
want to see pictures of ghettos or slums. The purpose of a vacation is to relax and have a good time.

Now if I were to go on a mission to help the poor, then I would not mind seeing the poverty or
the misery.

The article Matilda posted shows some of the beautiful places the country has to offer.

Good point, because the average TOURIST will not see a lot of poor barrios/slums, especially if they stay in an AI.

Those of us who live there permanently or part-time are a whole different story. We've seen all the warts and moles, and we still go back.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Exactly. And if I decided to want to live in the country I sure would not be looking at a promotional ad for tourism to see the country in its entirety.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

the misery.

that's correct.
and as fact the average tourist will not even want to know about any povertyu, misery, exploitment etc etc of a country's land and people, they just wanna get the biggest bang for the smallest buck, specially when traveling All Inclusive. those super cheap all inclusive vacation offers could not be offered for those rates if the average Gardener and Room Maid at such resort would earn wages to allow a living in a own house and drive to work in a own car and spend every year a well earned vacation for a week in Mexico or USA or Europe.

Mike

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
there is a clear difference between negative and realistic. I am made sick to my stomach by the fluffy travel writers who are paid to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Just tell me the truth and I will make up my own mind. In a word its offensive. Santo Domingo may be sleeping but it needs to clean up more than wake up.

That is part of the waking up of Santo Domingo.

PanfilodeVaca

Jan 12, 2014

That there is some durned fancy prose, amigo. I cant hardly wait to hear what you got to say about the wimmenfolk.