Tarantulas invasion...

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
What is it with those freaking things these days ?? They are everywhere...

Is there a logical reasons for the tarantulas to walk around and inside my appartment as they please ?
I had 2 inside my place in the last 2 weeks... which represents a catastroph for me. I HATE SPIDERS !!!

Never had one in my appartment for the past 3 years and NOW 2 in 2 weeks ??? HELP !!!

Any tips on how to prevent or repell them ???

Thank you...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they are very beautiful creatures who are not fond of the rain. wait for dry weather.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
They live in holes in the ground. When there is lots of rain, these holes tend to fill with water and the cacatas head off to the gringo occupied resorts to await the drier weather.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yeah, get used to 'em, as they will not move out anytime soon. we just started our rainier winter time, the next dry period should start next spring.
you know that tey jump well higher than the average heigt of a adults bed, right?

Mike

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
yeah, get used to 'em, as they will not move out anytime soon. we just started our rainier winter time, the next dry period should start next spring.
you know that tey jump well higher than the average heigt of a adults bed, right?

Mike

Color me confused. Jan-Apr have the least amount of rain all year.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the driest time frames with the by far most pure sunny and calm wind days are spring and summer, despite any hurricane season talk. the time frame with the most windy and cloudy and rainy days are the winter months. at least here on the southeast/PC.
that a month like for example May may show a lot of water per month, does not mean its a rainy month. it just means that May is a typical month when Vaguadas build up, such system stalled over the area may bring in 2 days and nights more water than most other months bring over the whole month, but its still just the two rainy days with the rest of the month maybe bone dry and pure sunshine.

Mike

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
What is it with those freaking things these days ?? They are everywhere...

Is there a logical reasons for the tarantulas to walk around and inside my appartment as they please ?
I had 2 inside my place in the last 2 weeks... which represents a catastroph for me. I HATE SPIDERS !!!

Never had one in my appartment for the past 3 years and NOW 2 in 2 weeks ??? HELP !!!

Any tips on how to prevent or repell them ???

Thank you...

do you have screens?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Do you know how they're getting in? I've gone as far as to seal windows I don't use with silicone to keep them and the froggies out where they belong. Not fun stepping into the shower without my glasses and wondering what the heck that black spot is in the corner :paranoid:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don't know how they get in, I presume like mice all they need is a small crack to squeeze through someplace. I mean, this gigantic one was inside a closed cabinet, so it somehow squeezed in through the closed door, it was the size of my hand.

Yuck.

And Mr. AE from the peanut gallery, "Don't kill it, they eat mosquitos and bugs!!!"

Buzz104

Apr 5, 2014
I had a couple of large tarantulas outside my condo in Punta Cana, however I haven't seen any here in Jarabacoa.

Do you live in a ground floor apartment? I recommend checking all of your door jams and sweeps as a point of entry. Also tarantulas can enter through shower and sink drains. if you don't have windows, I would suggest putting screens over the louvered shutters as another line of added protection.

As stated earlier, tarantulas hate the rain and will crawl and climb their way into a dry structure.

Buzz104

Apr 5, 2014
I don't know how they get in, I presume like mice all they need is a small crack to squeeze through someplace. I mean, this gigantic one was inside a closed cabinet, so it somehow squeezed in through the closed door, it was the size of my hand.

Yuck.

And Mr. AE from the peanut gallery, "Don't kill it, they eat mosquitos and bugs!!!"

I've seen some absolutely gigantic tarantulas crawl out of some really small holes and cracks.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
a hole as thin as my smallest finger will be enough for a handteller sized Tarantula to come in.
if the space under your frontdoor is enough to let a lil bit of a lightray pass thru, a Tarantula of the size of your hand will also pass thru.
if you found a way to really seal all your doors and windows and any other spaces etc, then they will simply come in thru the shower sink.
Kate, get used to shower with your glasses, at least leave them on til the shower is inspected and been found clear, lol.

Mike

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
they are very beautiful creatures who are not fond of the rain. wait for dry weather.

Yeah, they're adorable.

Cacata.JPG

BlondeJustice

May 28, 2014
OK. Stop it now. Spiders really creep me out. Tarantulas. Please tell me they aren't on the North Coast. Sosua/Cabarete. I'm never coming back to this thread!