Rumor About the University Given by DR to Haiti

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There are some rumors going around regarding the Henri Christophe University which was built by the Dominican government as a gift to Haiti and as an act of solidarity due to the disaster of the 2010 earthquake. The cost of building and furnishing the university was completely paid for by Dominican taxpayers.

According to the rumors the university was sacked and is basically useless. Even the toilets were either taken or destroyed, the doors, the persians; the computers, the desks and chairs, basically everything that was either portable or could be ripped off the building has been ripped and taken away.

Hopefully someone might be able to expand on what happened or prove the rumors wrong.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There are some rumors going around regarding the Henri Christophe University which was built by the Dominican government as a gift to Haiti and as an act of solidarity due to the disaster of the 2010 earthquake. The cost of building and furnishing the university was completely paid for by Dominican taxpayers.

According to the rumors the university was sacked and is basically useless. Even the toilets were either taken or destroyed, the doors, the persians; the computers, the desks and chairs, basically everything that was either portable or could be ripped off the building has been ripped and taken away.

Hopefully someone might be able to expand on what happened or prove the rumors wrong.

why am i not surprised?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Why am I not surprised?

Mr. AE has always had a big issue with that university, he was very offended when the Haitians changed its name from Juan Bosch University to Henri Christophe, the man who murdered so many Dominicans in 1805.

An excerpt from Wiki:
The Haitian general Henri Christophe (referred to as Enrique Crist?bal in Spanish-language accounts), under Dessalines, attacked the towns of Moca and Santiago. The barrister Gaspar de Arredondo y Pichardo wrote, "40 [Dominican] children had their throats cut at the Moca's church, and the bodies found at the presbytery, which is the space that encircles the church's altar..."[5] This event was one of several documented accounts of acts perpetrated against the Dominicans by General Christophe, under the orders of Dessalines; they were retreating from the Spanish-ruled side of the island after their failed invasion attempt of 1805.

On 6 April 1805, having gathered all his troops, General Christophe took all male prisoners to the local cemetery and proceeded to slit their throats, among them Presbyter V?squez and 20 more priests. Later he set on fire the whole town along with its five churches. On his way out he took along, fashioned like a herd, 249 women, 430 girls and 318 boys, a steep figure considering the relatively low population of the town at that time. Alejandro Llenas wrote that Christophe took 997 from Santiago alone, and "Monte Plata, San Pedro and Cotu? were reduced to ashes, and their residents either had their throats slit or were taken captives by the thousands, like farm animals, tied up and getting beaten on their way to Haiti."[citation needed]

Before leaving Santo Domingo, Dessalines "gave the order to ... commanders posted in conquered communities, to round up all dwellers and subdue them to prison, in so, at first command, have them stomped by mules and other beasts upon arriving to the Haitian side."[6]

Henri Christophe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
LOL...

There was never any university there.

The Dominicans build a few buildings as payola for post earthquake construction contracts.

The buildings were never used for educational purposes. A building by itself is not a university.

The building shuld be used to train the factory assembly workers at the new Karakol free zone or maybe turned into a prison to replace the overcrowded one in Potoprens.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
LOL...

The Dominicans build a few buildings as payola for post earthquake construction contracts.

The buildings were never used for educational purposes. A building by itself is not a university.

The building shuld be used to train the factory assembly workers at the new Karakol free zone or maybe turned into a prison to replace the overcrowded one in Potoprens.

GWOZOZO, i am glad you made that clear. i knew there was a quid pro quo somewhere in all this. i know they did not do this out of altruism. i will bet my dollars to your donuts that some Dominicans made out like bandits in this escapade.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
So, because this donation wasn't made with sincere intentions, it's logical that Haitians HAD the right to trash everything? I see.

Now people need to set apart "good hearted donations", from "make me look good donations" and throw the latter down the drain?

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
So, because this donation wasn't made with sincere intentions, it's logical that Haitians HAD the right to trash everything? I see.

Now people need to set apart "good hearted donations", from "make me look good donations" and throw the latter down the drain?

It was NOT a donation.

There was NO university, just an empty building.

There was NO trashing.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Took the words out of my mouth. I'd love to see what we're talking about.

Lot's of 2012 pics, not too many "today" pics.

Yes, plenty of pictures in 2012, nice inauguration with Haitian and Dominican flags flying everywhere....a real love fest.

A decent looking campus for the start of what could become a real university.

The funding is clouded in speculation, some say it was with money from the EU given to DR for the purpose of helping with the earthquake.....and used to showcase how quickly dominican construction companies could build things...and secure other contracts for DR firms.......and the icing on the cake was to showcase it as an example of the friendship between the two nations. In other words, THE DREAM OF THE INTERNATIONAL with candy for dominican companies.

Since then, Every branch of the National University in Potoprens refused to move there...followed by reports of subpar construction and things falling apart.

All parties got caught up in the emotions and the $$$ opportunities offered by the natural disaster.

Another example of propaganda over substance and waste of funds.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Why am I not surprised?

Mr. AE has always had a big issue with that university, he was very offended when the Haitians changed its name from Juan Bosch University to Henri Christophe, the man who murdered so many Dominicans in 1805.

An excerpt from Wiki:
The Haitian general Henri Christophe (referred to as Enrique Crist?bal in Spanish-language accounts), under Dessalines, attacked the towns of Moca and Santiago. The barrister Gaspar de Arredondo y Pichardo wrote, "40 [Dominican] children had their throats cut at the Moca's church, and the bodies found at the presbytery, which is the space that encircles the church's altar..."[5] This event was one of several documented accounts of acts perpetrated against the Dominicans by General Christophe, under the orders of Dessalines; they were retreating from the Spanish-ruled side of the island after their failed invasion attempt of 1805.

On 6 April 1805, having gathered all his troops, General Christophe took all male prisoners to the local cemetery and proceeded to slit their throats, among them Presbyter V?squez and 20 more priests. Later he set on fire the whole town along with its five churches. On his way out he took along, fashioned like a herd, 249 women, 430 girls and 318 boys, a steep figure considering the relatively low population of the town at that time. Alejandro Llenas wrote that Christophe took 997 from Santiago alone, and "Monte Plata, San Pedro and Cotu? were reduced to ashes, and their residents either had their throats slit or were taken captives by the thousands, like farm animals, tied up and getting beaten on their way to Haiti."[citation needed]

Before leaving Santo Domingo, Dessalines "gave the order to ... commanders posted in conquered communities, to round up all dwellers and subdue them to prison, in so, at first command, have them stomped by mules and other beasts upon arriving to the Haitian side."[6]

Henri Christophe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually, the above part starts with the following.

In 1805 French troops were still posted on the eastern part of the island (mainly in Santo Domingo), where they were led by the French officer Marie-Louis Ferrand. He mobilized his troops and ordered them to seize all black children of both sexes below the age of 14 years to be sold as slaves. Learning of this action, Dessalines was outraged and decided to invade Santo Domingo, with his forces looting several towns, such as Azua and Moca, and finally laying siege to the city of Santo Domingo, the stronghold of the French.

Desalin and Kristof were fighting the FRENCH on both sides of the island.

Blacks, Mulattos and Whites perished in both Saint-Domingue and Santo-Domingo during what was a brutal period.

To expect atrocities in Saint-Domingue and only one year old Haiti and NOT in Santo-Domingo not yet the Dominican Republic is an emotional way to look at history.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This was the university, I also wonder what happened to the bus that was donated for transporting the students to the campus.

[video=youtube;0JX1wG6Ibmo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JX1wG6Ibmo[/video]

Looks like a typical regional campus of UASD.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
LOL...

This was the university, I also wonder what happened to the bus that was donated for transporting the students to the campus.

[video=youtube;0JX1wG6Ibmo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JX1wG6Ibmo[/video]

Looks like a typical regional campus of UASD.

Hmmmm, that video certainly looks like a University to me too NALS. Thanks for posting it.