One way ticket

ghman

Dec 17, 2014
I'm flying into Santo Domingo with Condor. My plan is to go to Central America from there, but I don't have a ticket yet. Can I fly into the Dominican Republic on a one way ticket?

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
The answer is yes.

If you get any trouble it will be from the airline, not the country.

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Answer is no if you do not have proof of residence

I'm flying into Santo Domingo with Condor. My plan is to go to Central America from there, but I don't have a ticket yet. Can I fly into the Dominican Republic on a one way ticket?

If you can not show a proof of residence (domicile in passport, foreign residence identity card) the airline almost certainly will refuse boarding.
You then have the option to buy a return ticket before boarding (which can be expensive).
Final decision has the purser of the shift.

I know this because once an Air Berlin employee wanted to refuse check in with my one way ticket without residence ID.
Luckily, remembered that I at that time had my dominican residence written in my passport andthis was accepted.

Think the reason airlines are picky about residence is that some regulation requires them to return passengers at their cost in case they do not have required documents to enter (which might include a return ticket).

Alexander

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
If you can not show a proof of residence (domicile in passport, foreign residence identity card) the airline almost certainly will refuse boarding.
You then have the option to buy a return ticket before boarding (which can be expensive).
Final decision has the purser of the shift.

I know this because once an Air Berlin employee wanted to refuse check in with my one way ticket without residence ID.
Luckily, remembered that I at that time had my dominican residence written in my passport andthis was accepted.

Think the reason airlines are picky about residence is that some regulation requires them to return passengers at their cost in case they do not have required documents to enter (which might include a return ticket).

Alexander

Depends on Airline. In hundreds of trips on American over 14 years I was asked a total of twice. Both times by gate agent who was dominican. One in particular looked ****ed that I didn't need residency to go one way. Spoke to supervisor and he set her straight.

My most recent trip on Copa they did ask. I have no flights booked to leave but am never here more than 30 days or so, and usually way less. Told her I had a ticket o american but couldn't access it as no cel reception in Barranquilla. She actually dragged me to basement and said to use her PC to print it out "if" I found it. I logged onto our corporate travel planners site and booked a flight. Normally my flights need to be approved and can take 24 hours. Went upstairs and showed her the "reservation" even though not confirmed and that was that.

So. . . .if you can do a hold or temp reservation and show that to gate agent you will likely be fine, as long as not from same airline. In DR any COPA office for example will give you a "reservation" print out when you need to show proof of ticket for a visa app. Silly system really.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I fly into the DR every eight weeks on a one way ticket, and have never had a problem or been asked. Have flown into POP on Condor. If anyone if going to care, it would be the airline. But, they won't.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Flew in yesterday (jetblue) from JFK - They wanted proof of residency or to see a valid return ticket before checking my bags...

Doesn't happen often but it does happen, good luck !

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Flew in yesterday (jetblue) from JFK - They wanted proof of residency or to see a valid return ticket before checking my bags...

Doesn't happen often but it does happen, good luck !

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

If you will go to Central America also with Condor via Santo Domingo, they have conecting flights to Panama and San Jose, if you book next flight with them you wont have any problem in Santo Domingo because you have a departure ticket, and then your problem will be in Central America so you can book before your departure from Santo Domingo the return ticket from Central America, Im sure there they will ask you for return ticket.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

If you will go to Central America also with Condor via Santo Domingo, they have conecting flights to Panama and San Jose, if you book next flight with them you wont have any problem in Santo Domingo because you have a departure ticket, and then your problem will be in Central America so you can book before your departure from Santo Domingo the return ticket from Central America, Im sure there they will ask you for return ticket.

morganstern

Jun 4, 2014
I just had this problem returning from Washington D.C. I went to the airport at 4 am and they said NO GO!!!! WTF! Finally a supervisor came over and let me fly. The simple way to solve the problem, which I did NOT know then, is show the airline that you are leaving the country after you arrive. You do NOT need a round trip ticket. What you can use is, for example, a Caribe Tour ticket for Haiti. Period. That is all you need. Show a ticket that you are leaving. You will need it one in a hundred times....but the law of D.R. DOES say you have to have a ticket out to enter(never enforced)