Ever think about packing it in, and going back where you came from?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Been living is SD full time for a little over two years. I don't know why but recently I have been getting these thoughts to just break my lease, sell everything and go back to New Jersey. I would continue to travel at least once every six weeks, but to other places.

Three months ago I rented a really large penthouse apartment in Gazcue. Actually I fell in love with the 400 sq. ft. rooftop terrace. After three months I find myself not going on the terrace for sometimes two days in a row. I think I bit off a little bit more than I want to chew. The apartment is huge but I just can't get into the mood of putting up the rest of my curtains, I don't as much want to paint because if I do that is another expense when and if I leave.

Maybe I burned myself out or it is just a phase an ex-pat goes through.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Been living is SD full time for a little over two years. I don't know why but recently I have been getting these thoughts to just break my lease, sell everything and go back to New Jersey. I would continue to travel at least once every six weeks, but to other places.

Three months ago I rented a really large penthouse apartment in Gazcue. Actually I fell in love with the 400 sq. ft. rooftop terrace. After three months I find myself not going on the terrace for sometimes two days in a row. I think I bit off a little bit more than I want to chew. The apartment is huge but I just can't get into the mood of putting up the rest of my curtains, I don't as much want to paint because if I do that is another expense when and if I leave.

i am not going to pontificate on your state of affairs, but you appear to me to be someone who does not know where to begin the search for happiness. you rented a really large penthouse apartment, and still have the blues. the material trappings have not saved you, at least not for long. maybe it is not the apartment which will heal you, but what is inside.

that includes you.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
i am not going to pontificate on your state of affairs, but you appear to me to be someone who does not know where to begin the search for happiness. you rented a really large penthouse apartment, and still have the blues. the material trappings have not saved you, at least not for long. maybe it is not the apartment which will heal you, but what is inside.

that includes you.

I don't think so, but sometimes you just get tired of the crap here. A lot of ex-pats have jobs to keep them busy during the day. At times I do miss my kids. I just think maybe it is time to move on. I have been perfectly happy the past two years here but the DR just doesn't have the bang for me anymore.

I certainly am not the only ex-pat that got to a point maybe time to pack up And I am sure you know a lot of ex-pats stick it out here because of their income level.

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
sounds like you need a Dominican girlfriend. Never hung curtains in my life.

Lol, I can just imagine a chica trying to use a battery operated hammer drill. Some things are better done my men. Now once the holes are drilled in the concrete wall, the mounting brackets, and rod are installed. Now it is chica time.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
Lol, I can just imagine a chica trying to use a battery operated hammer drill. Some things are better done my men. Now once the holes are drilled in the concrete wall, the mounting brackets, and rod are installed. Now it is chica time.

See that things a re looking up already. I hope you tough it out. A little home sickness is healthy. Normal nothing wrong at all.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I don't think so, but sometimes you just get tired of the crap here. A lot of ex-pats have jobs to keep them busy during the day. At times I do miss my kids. I just think maybe it is time to move on. I have been perfectly happy the past two years here but the DR just doesn't have the bang for me anymore.

I certainly am not the only ex-pat that got to a point maybe time to pack up And I am sure you know a lot of ex-pats stick it out here because of their income level.

i hope you find yourself, and find some peace. i sympathize with you, because i know exactly how devastating boredom can be. next to a debilitating illness, boredom is the most disabling of all human conditions.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
i hope you find yourself, and find some peace. i sympathize with you, because i know exactly how devastating boredom can be. next to a debilitating illness, boredom is the most disabling of all human conditions.

You amaze me, you have never laid eyes on me and have no clue what I do. But you do the typical gorgon the intellect.

Haven't you lived in several countries?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
See that things a re looking up already. I hope you tough it out. A little home sickness is healthy. Normal nothing wrong at all.
Yeah I am really close to my kids and two grandkids. Some ex-pats can go a year at a time and not see their kids, I am not one of those people.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You amaze me, you have never laid eyes on me and have no clue what I do. But you do the typical gorgon the intellect.

Haven't you lived in several countries?

sorry i offended you, but i kinda thought that boredom might be in the background.

i apologize..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all the time. i have dreams about going home too. but it's not easy to leave DR. what would we do in europe? what about jobs, animals, house?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Why Santo Domingo?

..... sometimes you just get tired of the crap here.

Everybody does.
After 2 years it sinks in that here there is also an everyday's life (in 'paradise').
It may be little consolation, but there is no place without that.

A lot of ex-pats have jobs to keep them busy during the day.

From this I gather that you do not work.
So, why did you choose SD?
{I was there last week.... I could never live there....}

You need company, a good friend.
Such is often found more easily in smaller towns. Here in Las Terrenas I see foreigners in groups (bicycle riding, walking, kitesurfing, caf?s, etc.)

donP

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Maybe it is just the Holiday season that has you missing your family.?
Hang in there for a while to see if this is just an expat phase that will pass.
Go out and catch some of that spirit of Christmas in SD. :classic:

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

I think this happens to most people. Dominicans abroad often feel like that too. The ones who can, and don't NEED to stay, often leave it all and come back.

Look on the bright side. unlike other expats who end up stuck here because of baby mama drama or financial reasons(or both), you can just pack your stuff and leave, so you're lucky. You have nothing holding you back, right? So, Why fight that?

Grab your curtains and set sail!!

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
Yeah I am really close to my kids and two grandkids. Some ex-pats can go a year at a time and not see their kids, I am not one of those people.

The kids will always be a weak spot. And at this time of year I can understand how you feel. This is the first Christmas two of my children will not be here. They are deployed and I do miss them.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
@ All, I think the incident I had last month with the PN shaking me down and asking for a propina just for taking a late night walk on avenida independencia was the straw that broke the camel's back. When it gets to the point you don't feel safe walking the street at night for fear of what the PN may do it is time to rethink this place.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I think this happens to most people. Dominicans abroad often feel like that too. The ones who can, and don't NEED to stay, often leave it all and come back.

Look on the bright side. unlike other expats who end up stuck here because of baby mama drama or financial reasons(or both), you can just pack your stuff and leave, so you're lucky. You have nothing holding you back, right? So, Why fight that?

Grab your curtains and set sail!!

I have to pay four months advance rent next month. That will give me time to really think it over, but as of now I am willing to lose my rent deposit and as you say, set sail.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Helpful Police

@ All, I think the incident I had last month with the PN shaking me down and asking for a propina just for taking a late night walk on avenida independencia was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Maybe they just wanted to warn you that it is not such a good idea to go for a walk in that area at night... ;)
I guess, it is good advice and worth a small 'propina'..... :classic:

donP

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I can understand how much you miss your kids. I only live in the DR half of the year and get to see my kids the other half of the year and when they visit. You can always go south somewhere for some relief from winter if you can afford it and then you will have the best of both worlds.