Unacceptable loud music - Sosua Abajo

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
From 3am, (I believe it 's the Salvation Church), the Christmas hymns have been 'pumping', I mean it's like the stereo in the house is on full and I'm 1/2 a mile away! It's impossible to sleep through it! This will continue until the New Year.
I know it's the time of the year but surely something can be done.
I haven't confronted the DJ/Pastor (it's hymns by record/cd - not a choir), I'm wondering who is the best person/group (Police/Illana/local residents) is to talk to in order to help resolve this matter. I truthfully think 1000's are affected by this music.

Any 'feedback' would be appreciated!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
From 3am, (I believe it 's the Salvation Church), the Christmas hymns have been 'pumping', I mean it's like the stereo in the house is on full and I'm 1/2 a mile away! It's impossible to sleep through it! This will continue until the New Year.
I know it's the time of the year but surely something can be done.
I haven't confronted the DJ/Pastor (it's hymns by record/cd - not a choir), I'm wondering who is the best person/group (Police/Illana/local residents) is to talk to in order to help resolve this matter. I truthfully think 1000's are affected by this music.

Any 'feedback' would be appreciated!

get used to it. it is an annual tradition. you will be awakened from deep sleep at 3 am by roving bands of people who pass through the neighborhood singing hymns, hooting, and hollering. you can't fix that one, and don't waste time complaining to the authorities. you will just end up making enemies as the gringo grinch and spoilsport.

it is just a part of rank and file behavior in the DR. they do not give a rat's backside about how their actions affect other people. the church in my neighborhood plays loud music from 8am on Sundays, up until about 2pm. i can't hear myself think, it is so loud. this is a residential area, and it affects scores of people. do you think the pastor gives a crap?

of course not! it's not his problem!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
What do I know, but one would think music during the daytime would be more demonstrative of the season and cause less angst. 3 am to 7 am would cause me to think someone doesn't know how to program the timer...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I am trying to banish all logic from my though processes but I am struggling...

I am having a really hard time accepting that locals are devoid of any semblance of common sense. They have managed to survive this long, in a society with access to firearms and bush-whacking tools. There may well be a lack of empathy but I just cannot believe that everyone is ok with whatever happens whenever.

Don't fret, some of my DR experiences so far have had an effect. In a few more months, I'll be as jaded as everyone else. At least I don't live near a church and noise in my neighborhood is a big no-no.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I am trying to banish all logic from my though processes but I am struggling...

I am having a really hard time accepting that locals are devoid of any semblance of common sense. They have managed to survive this long, in a society with access to firearms and bush-whacking tools. There may well be a lack of empathy but I just cannot believe that everyone is ok with whatever happens whenever.

Don't fret, some of my DR experiences so far have had an effect. In a few more months, I'll be as jaded as everyone else. At least I don't live near a church and noise in my neighborhood is a big no-no.

nobody suggests that Dominicans are devoid of common sense. and i am careful when i use the term "Dominicans". i am referring to the rank and file, who do not have the social graces of educated, urbane Dominicans.

if anyone believes that gringos have a low opinion of the everyday Dominican, then they need to go and find out what the upper segment of Dominicans think about them. do you believe that certain people can just buy a house in certain neighborhoods because they have the money? the DR is a society in which the prejudices are not based on color, but on class. i live in POP, and i can tell you that the people in Bayardo would never allow for people coming there and disturbing the peace. they know it is unacceptable, just like anyone from any other country does. the problem lies with the hoi polloi.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
get used to it. it is an annual tradition. you will be awakened from deep sleep at 3 am by roving bands of people who pass through the neighborhood singing hymns, hooting, and hollering. you can't fix that one, and don't waste time complaining to the authorities. you will just end up making enemies as the gringo grinch and spoilsport.

it is just a part of rank and file behavior in the DR. they do not give a rat's backside about how their actions affect other people. the church in my neighborhood plays loud music from 8am on Sundays, up until about 2pm. i can't hear myself think, it is so loud. this is a residential area, and it affects scores of people. do you think the pastor gives a crap?

of course not! it's not his problem!

Its my music and your ears, no es mi culpa!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Its my music and your ears, no es mi culpa!

exactly!

i live in an apartment building with a security gate, to which all four of us tenants have a key. i have to walk behind each of these guys whenever they come and go, locking the gate behind them. i have spoken to them about the need to lock the darn thing, for everybody's safety, but they could care less. i guess they believe that it is the other guy who will get robbed, or killed, so what does it matter to them. they aren't even sharp enough to realize that they could be a victim , too.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Not sure how they handle the noise in Sosua Abajo but when I lived in Charamicos my neighbors would call the cops. Sometimes it made a difference, sometimes it did not. I was left with the impression, it depends on who was making the phone call.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Our roving reporter for Sosua news was a member of a number of organizations working on noise abatement in Sosua. Guess what happened. Yep, you got it right. When I was a newbie a few years back the neighbors had a really loud party going on at 3 am. I could not sleep and got so angry I told my Dominican wife I was calling the police. She fell out of the bed laughing.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
It seems to me that in another post you were denying Dominican lawlessness and now you are objecting to lawlessness. Please explain.

Are you talking about when the DR was being compared to Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, North Korea (The most lawless places on the planet or something like that)..... I can't actually remember the thread, maybe you could post the OP from a week or so ago and people can make up their own minds?

Loud music I believe has nothing to do with that thread though.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Yea, I'm a gringo, but I play the game of living in this country by the rules. I'm a decent person, I have respect for others...... get it??????

I do get it. I would probably like to have you as a neighbor : ) But, the fact is the people making the music see it completely different than you do. And, the rest of this discussion is predictable - some people say there is no logic to the way people think and act in the DR, and others say, yes but there is, or there should be. Everyone has to chose how to deal with the annoyances. Myself, I am out of the D.R. at the moment taking a rest from some of it : ) And visiting family... I could tell you the story about leaving an apartment in a decent neighborhood because of constantly barking dogs, but it does not matter. They were there first... And they will not change because I am offended. Gringo also.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Actually you'll find that just as many locals object to this noise as foreigners!

and do nothing about it, or it would stop. i have lived in Jamaica for a large part of my life, and nobody would ever get away with disturbing the neighbors with aircraft level music. they would not even dream of it. it would not work.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
and do nothing about it, or it would stop. i have lived in Jamaica for a large part of my life, and nobody would ever get away with disturbing the neighbors with aircraft level music. they would not even dream of it. it would not work.

I hear you Gorgon, if only they were playing Bob Marley here!!! :)