• Thread starter "The Tourist Watcher"
  • Start date

My picture is not from the 60s

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

For those who doubted that my picture is recent, the exact date taken was February of 2000. Check our Minimal/Conceptual/Abstract Expressionism web page at www.grullon.com/index.htm and you will see highlights of the event we held at the Embajador Hotel with the presence of Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez, where my protege and art student Krismell Grullon exhibited works of art from his 2000 collection and a retrospective of previous important works. This is where my picture was taken and since it was a rock music type, very in selective and by invitation crowd, the proper attire was avant-garde. If you carefully look he is in pictures with Beto Cuevas, lead singer of La Ley and Enrique Bunbury, the famous Spanish Rock singer. Please read the Foreword in both Spanish and English written by me, with my credentials.

Proximately we will hold another art show with his latest works, a line of post-minimalist paintings called ASPHALT, in powerful mate blacks, yellows and some white lines with heavy texture to mimic street constructions. I am assembling the collection to have it displayed as tri-dimensional works that could be both categorized as either paintings and sculptures. I am also serving as the artists director giving the guidance as to the techniques, train of thought and future trends. Our objective is to go beyond the traditional Dominican view of art as a strict reproduction of nature, to one of creative thought and new view of the world based on the perception of the artist, not the dictates of society. And as usual, we would be inspired by the revolutionary greats of our school like Damien Hirst, Frank Stella,Kenneth Noland,Ad Rheinhardt,and Barnett Newman.

TW

L

Loren

retrospectives.

Are you familiar with Pe?alba? I received an invitation to a retrospective on his behalf hosted by his family a few years ago. I was impressed and it was worth the trip. He is a quality artist and of regional renown, but I am not of the impression he is extremely well known globally

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: retrospectives.

Never heard of him.
TW

L

Loren

Pe?alba: Bio

I like his art. Like many artists, he went through various "periods." I was glad to have the opportunity to meet many of his family and to learn more about him. You get some interesting art out of a place like Nicaragua, that has gone through such violent metamorphosis over time.

Pe?alba: Bio
Nicaraguan painter and teacher. He studied from 1926 to 1941 at the Art Institute of Chicago, the Academia de Bellas Artes de S Carlos in Mexico City, the Real Academia de S Fernando in Madrid and the Accademia di Belle Arti in Rome. He remained in Italy after completing his studies, exhibiting in New York and Washington, DC, before returning in 1947 to Nicaragua. There he was named director of the Escuela Nacional de Bellas Artes in Managua, an institution that he helped to revitalize. Known more as an inspirational teacher than as an innovative artist in his own right, Pe?alba initially worked in an academic figurative style, for example in his murals of the early 1950s on the theme of St Sebastian for the parish church of Diriamba; he also produced highly emotional figure studies, sometimes on a very small scale, as in Untitled (c. 1944?5; Washington, DC, A. Mus. Americas). In the late 1950s he adopted a far more experimental style in oil paintings that made overt reference to Expressionism and to the work of El Greco and Jos? Clemente Orozco; his wholehearted embrace of modernism in the arts led to his being considered the pioneer of modern Nicaraguan painting. In 1963 a group of his former students formed PRAXIS, the first avant-garde movement in the country?s history.