Quads on the highways

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
For those of you familiar with Samana and especially Las Terrenas, you will be aware that a very common form of road transport are Quads.

Quads were made as off road recreational transport and are not designed for the roads specially DR roads.

Very dangerous vehicles in the wrong hands, especially youngsters and when over loaded.

I cannot understand those policing the roads turning a blind eye to the use of such vehicles on the highway......but perhaps I should....this is the DR!!

I have not seen such use of these vehicles elsewhere on the roads of this country but I am hopeful that some enlightened police colonel will see the dangers of such vehicles 'on road'.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
There's a difference between on "city" streets and on the highway. The quads aren't designed for on-road use, but with road tires can be safely operated on normal streets. The handling is, however, not suited for highway speeds. They are too bouncy and twichy. I drive one all the time in Bavaro and I'd *never* think of taking it on the highway. Even if it could go fast enough, there are far less messy ways to get myself kilt.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
What makes them dangerous?

The untrained users to start without license to drive.....secondly they have incredible momentum and if you have an abrupt stop you will be flung far and wide.....no seat restrainers.....they offer no protection.....far worse than motos in that you are less in contact with your vehicle ..........two or three passenger sat astride....no head wear.....deadly especially in young hands revving up with lots of noise as is the case with young rich capitalistas.

Give me an example where unlicensed quads are use so extensively on the roads without licensed drivers.......I do wonder if the renters charging 35us per day seek competence before renting?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
unlicensed drivers in cars, motos, and SUVs are dangerous too. And what holds one so tight to the moto?

Motos driven by the untrained drives me crazy but it is a part of Dominican life..........quads driven by the untrained and especially the 'happy go lucky' gringos.....some on vacation some not..... with whole families sat astride frighten me. And then we have the weekend capitalistas revving up and doing two wheelers or young ten year old is at the wheel.

When you drive in LT you will see the folly of all this

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
There's a difference between on "city" streets and on the highway. The quads aren't designed for on-road use, but with road tires can be safely operated on normal streets. The handling is, however, not suited for highway speeds. They are too bouncy and twichy. I drive one all the time in Bavaro and I'd *never* think of taking it on the highway. Even if it could go fast enough, there are far less messy ways to get myself kilt.

Tell the colonel in LT please

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Motos driven by the untrained drives me crazy but it is a part of Dominican life..........quads driven by the untrained and especially the 'happy go lucky' gringos.....some on vacation some not..... with whole families sat astride frighten me. And then we have the weekend capitalistas revving up and doing two wheelers or young ten year old is at the wheel.

When you drive in LT you will see the folly of all this

When you see whole families astride a motobike that has clearly seen better days (very common in Bavaro), the sight of a whole family on a quad won't bother you at all. Even one driven by a 10-year-old.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
What makes them dangerous? Gotta be more stable than the average moto as used here. One corner of Mexico I visited has more of them than cars. I don't understand why transportation in general didn't develop in that direction more than it has.

Quads are much more difficult to control than bikes. Great if you have the space. But because of the driving position you are pinned to it, sk you hit a hole, one arm gives and that dictates where the bikes going to go. Only real way to control a quad in a situation is either stop completely, which usually ends in the driver under no control and slumped off one side of the quad, or power out of it, and there is little room for that kind of error on any roads, never mind...............

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
"those policing the roads"?????? No one polices the roads. Unless you mean those removing the cadavers.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As stated, Quads are not designed for highway speeds. High centre of gravity, poor maneuvering ability at speed and long stopping distances. Quads tip over easily. A sharp turn and you become a bowling ball. Motos, if the driver is skilled enough, might be able to swurve around an object, motorcycles are even better at this due to increased tire circumference and width. Motos can lean into the turn reducing the gforce on the vehicle and rider.

Quads cannot lean so the full gforce effects the vehicle and rider. It's akin to making a tight turn with your 4 wheeled push lawnmower at 60 km/h.

Speaking of vehicles, on my way into Sosua the other day I saw an oncoming dump truck that was missing the complete cab. There was a bumper, a radiator, engine and a cracked windshield, that was all. If vehicles in this condition can travel the highways and byways here, then Quads will not be seen as a problem.

You and I know know differently, so when you pass a quad to get as far away as you can, just wave goodbye, the law of averages and poor driving will take care of the rest.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Loco Town

Las Terrenas or LT for short means...

Loco Town
Loco Transito
Locos T?ristas

Tourists and residents like the 4wheelers. :classic:
They usually ride them with flip-flops and without a helmet. :bunny:
Every year there are some fatal crashes.
They call them 'accidents'. :cross-eye

I guess, some victims who never used a vehicle with a handle bar were surprised what it does to the front wheels.... :laugh:

donP

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
For those of you familiar with Samana and especially Las Terrenas, you will be aware that a very common form of road transport are Quads.

Quads were made as off road recreational transport and are not designed for the roads specially DR roads.

Very dangerous vehicles in the wrong hands, especially youngsters and when over loaded.

I cannot understand those policing the roads turning a blind eye to the use of such vehicles on the highway......but perhaps I should....this is the DR!!

I have not seen such use of these vehicles elsewhere on the roads of this country but I am hopeful that some enlightened police colonel will see the dangers of such vehicles 'on road'.

We do it all the time. The autopista from LT to playa bonita or coson ys normally empty, well paved and easier to drive than the town of LT so maybe I don't get it. I have done those trips dozens of times with my wife on back. Have taken friends along on their quads. Never an issue or even a scary moment. Most have been more afraid driving in town with motos whipping past, people and cars entering road without so much as a glance.

On the main LT drag out to the small airport it can be a pain to navigate around the missing manhole covers but again not many cars around for the most part. Slow down for speed bumps and avoid open man holes and you are good to go.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If one is careful, then you should be able to drive a quad without incident. The problems occur when due care is not exercised. A four wheeled quad can be a more challenging/unforgiving ride than a two wheeled vehicle given the same scenario. Speed, and the need to maneuver quickly or suddenly are precursors to disaster. But this can be said for all vehicles more or less.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
ESCOPETA anyone?

For me the worst part in Las Terranes was the noise pollution by quads.
In Sosua there are also quads. One idiot with an extra loud one likes to cruise back and forth at night.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
For me the worst part in Las Terranes was the noise pollution by quads.
In Sosua there are also quads. One idiot with an extra loud one likes to cruise back and forth at night.

I got the muffler and tailpipe fixed on mine; it's now quieter than most of the motoconchos in the area, even when accelerating. Muffler tape will help temporarily.

Aug 6, 2006
From what I have seen, quads seem to attract idiot drivers. I don't think they are inherently unsafe, but nothing is very safe in wheelie mode. The Malec?n in Barahona has a weekly exposition of bad driving every weekend, especially with motos and quads. In less than an hour, you are sure to see some fool doing wheelies with a passenger on the back that generally is experienced enough to slide off and hit the ground running. I have not yet seen any bloody accidents, and I find this amazing.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
I know that golf carts are nowhere near as dangerous as quads, but it did slightly amuse and terrify me to see one heading down the highway from sosua to cabarete late one night with 4 old boys obviously with too much rum in them and thinking this was a good idea!

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I know that golf carts are nowhere near as dangerous as quads, but it did slightly amuse and terrify me to see one heading down the highway from sosua to cabarete late one night with 4 old boys obviously with too much rum in them and thinking this was a good idea!

You've obviously *never* seen Undercover Brother."