Always more to learn/medical care

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The grandmother of my assistant is in the hospital in La Romana. She has a medical problem they are calling anemia. I have struggled before to know exactly what they mean in the DR when they say anemia, it seems to be what they call several different ailments. I know it does not mean iron-poor blood, as it sometimes means in the U.S.

They gave the grandmother a blood transfusion last night. Today, they said she needs more blood, but the hospital has no more to give her. So, family members drove to San Pedro de Macoris today to find blood. Nada. So, I guess tomorrow the search continues. I don't think she has a rare blood type. I think it is just another situation that occurs in public hospitals.

I also wonder if someone who has the means to be admitted to a private hospital would have the same problem.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Poor diet seems to result in what they term anemia here. There are lots of Doms with diabetes which complicates and worsens any medical problems. My sister in law died in childbirth when the public hospital had no blood. The private hospitals are much better in all respects but the blood shortage is common problem. Hope she improves, good luck.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
They also said something about blood pressure. This I understand. But, you would not usually talk about high blood pressure as anemia, I don't think. She is supposed to be taking some kind of medication. But, they say she has not been taking it. They say (in Spanish, of course) that she is hard headed and stubborn : )

Aug 21, 2007
During holiday times here in the DR, blood is more scarce. Since many are partying and having alcohol in their system, they cannot/do not donate. For those who do not drink, donating blood at Christmas or Easter time could be a true gift of life for someone in need.

Lindsey

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm guessing that her blood is low in red cells, and she's deficient in B12. Why can't he family donate blood to her.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I'm guessing that her blood is low in red cells, and she's deficient in B12. Why can't he family donate blood to her.

Exactly. Her brother would ordinarily be the donor, but he is/was sick. Gripe. And, who knows what exactly was wrong with him - gripe being the general term for many ailments. But, they did find a donor last night in San Pedro. So, the grandmother got more blood this morning. Not exact type, but compatible. So, that does seem to be important - know where to find a donor. They apparently do not, as Lindsey says, have a big supply on hand, especially this time of year. Anyway, all is well for now. Although she is still in the hosptial.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
We have a blood donor volunteer list here on DR1, but I don't think you'll find many members out that way.

http://dr1.com/forums/living/96559-...ter-new-updated-oct-2009-a-2.html#post1452838

Thanks for this info. Could be a valuable resource at some time. The problem is solved for now. Usually, family will donate, which seems to be what has to happen. I wonder about when gringos need blood, though. I guess you hope you can go to a private hospital and they have more resources. Right now I am asking my best friends there what type blood they have : )

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Not what you want to be doing, but here is basic info from Mayo Clinic web site. There is a place to state blood type on cedula for emergencies, but mine right now is blank : )

Is there a universal blood donor type?
Answers from Ruben A. Mesa, M.D.

At one time, type O negative blood was considered the universal blood donor type. This implied that anyone — regardless of blood type — could receive type O negative blood without risking a transfusion reaction. However, we now know even type O negative blood may have antibodies that cause serious reactions during a transfusion.

There are four types of blood. They are classified as:
•Type A
•Type B
•Type AB
•Type O

Blood is also classified by rhesus (Rh) factor, which refers to a specific red blood cell antigen in the blood. If your blood has the antigen, you're Rh positive. If your blood lacks the antigen, you're Rh negative.

Ideally, blood transfusions are done with donated blood that's an exact match for type and Rh factor. Even then, small samples of the recipient's and donor's blood are mixed to check compatibility in a process known as crossmatching. In an emergency, however, type O negative red blood cells may be given to anyone — especially if the situation is life-threatening or the matching blood type is in short supply.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
If I understand correctly, blood can be sold in the dr...........
So if u are really in need ( as a gringo ), shouldnt be to hard to come up with a donor. Especially if planned ahead of time.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
blood is also at the private clinics a problem, if you have for example a operation planned you get also here on the East at the oprivate clinics recommended to donate your own blood(or let friends do so) prior to the planned operation, so they would have a certain amount of compatible blood for you available in case during the operation something would go bad and blood be necessary. this happened to a friend a few months ago who had a minor operation sheduled at the Centro Medico Punta Cana. finally she did not need the donated blood, but of course just in case the backup amount was prior donated. and she has the usual A+, nothing of the rare types or such. so this tells me that blood is rare in general at the clinics.

Mike

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
When my wife gave birth early this month, before the delivery she had to go to a laboratory to reserve the blood she might possibly need and the way they work is that when you actually need the blood you can replace it with someone else's blood of the same blood type.