Not renting a car while on vacation.FAQs

rey

Jan 2, 2007
Will NOT renting a car while on LONG vacation in Santiago be a huge obstacle to Enjoy myself in Santiago?

Doesn't Santiago have 24 hours taxi service like in NYC?

IF I go out to drink or hangout at bars ; Isn't safe to walk around the Santiago city(monumental area)?

If I stay away from bad neighborhoods could I walk to supermarket , restaurant , gym , or any place that's walking distance from where i will be residing(Estrella Sadhala) while on vacation ?

MY friends in NYC tell me that it is MANDATORY for a VIAJERO to rent a car while on a LONG vacation to Santiago; without a car it will be IMPOSSIBLE to enjoy ones vacation.... ; Does Anyone disagreed?

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Depends on what you want to do and how frequently you'll be using the taxi service.

If you use it a lot and you're going long distances, might as well rent a car, it'll probably be cheaper.

The going rate for taxis are RD$200 for most destinations. Anything over a 5-8 minute drive you start to go up from there.

It isn't safe in December to walk anywhere.

If you're coming at any other time of the year you should be fine walking around.

You'd better have street smarts though.

cityboy

Oct 3, 2009
If your in the ares of bravo supermarket ,your good for a cab till late night (1am or later) ,Walking to mall area Safe,catching a taxi car or scooter 100% no problem, that's a good area, if you need a rental sometime. ALL CAR RENTAL. at the airport Ruben speaks English 809-429-0828. He can workout transportation to and from airport

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Give it a try taking taxis first. RD$200 per ride can be more efficient especially because the taxi driver knows his way around. There is an abundance of taxi drivers, so you can always have one picking you up in less than five minutes, would say. If you plan your day in advance, you can always come out ahead taking taxis in the city. A car rental from a good company is going to cost you around US$60 per day, so that would be at least six taxi rides (round trips).

This is especially so with Santiago, a circular city. I know my way around in Santiago, would say, but always end up going around in circles to get to where I am going. So if you are new, you will spend even more time going around and around.

Car rentals are better for long distance travel, not so for city travel. You can always rent a car later.
What you do need is a local cell phone from day as soon as you start getting around. You can pick up a local number starting at US$30.

Last edited:

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
US$60 seems pretty high.

Whenever I've rented a car it's been $35-$40/day at most.

When my father came down here he got a Kia Picanto for $14/day through Budget.

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
If you are going to rent a car and use your credit card's insurance... read the policy carefully! If you rent a car and purchase insurance through the rental company....for a long term rental you can negotiate better insurance coverage rates than they post, but still read it carefully!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
There is insurance, and there is insurance

US$60 seems pretty high.

Whenever I've rented a car it's been $35-$40/day at most.

When my father came down here he got a Kia Picanto for $14/day through Budget.

When I mention the US$60 I am including full coverage insurance. In my opinion, that is the only one you want to get in the DR. If you rent a car and do not get full coverage insurance from a reputable car you are exposing yourself to a big problem. When traveling abroad I do the same, regardless where traveling. This enables one to walk away from a problem and continue the travels/vacation.

Last edited:

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
When I mention the US$60 I am including full coverage insurance. In my opinion, that is the only one you want to get in the DR. If you rent a car and do not get full coverage insurance from a reputable car you are exposing yourself to a big problem. When traveling abroad I do the same, regardless where traveling. This enables one to walk away from a problem and continue the travels/vacation.

This is absolutely true.

In the $14/day I did not include full coverage insurance which took the $14/day to around $50 after all was said and done.