2 Month Stay in DR/Santiago

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
I am considering a two month stay in Santiago. I want to come for several reasons. One of which being that I am bored professionally here in the states and need some time off before I burnout completely (41 year old male). I speak, read, and write Spanish, but I want to improve that as well. I am considering teaching English and/or volunteering. I am not concerned whether or not I get paid for teaching. That is the least of the reasons I would consider this. I really enjoy my stays in Santiago and the people there versus other parts of the country I have visited and feel that this would be the most comfortable region of the country for me. I have friends in Santiago, and a few have indicated that I might be able to rent a furnished apartment for the period of time I would be there. Any ideas/warnings/advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated as I wanted to get the views of some of the DR1ers that already live in DR or have lived in DR.

Thank you in advance to everybody.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
AirBNB is a good way to find a nice place to stay.

My only advice/warning/opinion, be careful with the women, it's an easy trap to fall into.

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
AirBNB is a good way to find a nice place to stay.

My only advice/warning/opinion, be careful with the women, it's an easy trap to fall into.

I know about that already, lol, and not coming down because of a woman either.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I know about that already, lol, and not coming down because of a woman either.

thats a perfect headstart, haha.
but be careful because of Men, too.
to rent a decent place in Santiago should not be a problem, i would always rent furniched for such time frame, otherwise, what to do with all the purchased furnichures.
as you speak spanish and seem financially independend, i say come over, rent a room and look out for a suitable place to rent for the rest of the stay.

welcome to the Isle

Mike

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
PM Senor Hillbilly (Hillbilly on DR1) ...If he can't help you I am sure he will know someone who can....Good Luck1

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Mr jbars. Santiago is a very livable city. Easy to get around, low crime,cosmopolitan, many sophisticated residents and within striking distance to the beach. Come on down. Like AMP suggested, just don't come for one chica, unless you enjoy drama.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Mr jbars. Santiago is a very livable city. Easy to get around, low crime,cosmopolitan, many sophisticated residents and within striking distance to the beach. Come on down. Like AMP suggested, just don't come for one chica, unless you enjoy drama.

ahaaa,
that means
one Chica is Drama (there is a section for that on DR1), many Chicas are Life, lol.

Mike