Car rental dilemma-Punta Cana

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
With US air carriers focusing on the Punta Cana resort traffic it has become considerably cheaper to fly into Punta Cana than Santo Domingo. From the US midwest about $300-$400 per flight cheaper. The problem is that Las Americas has about 20 wildcat off airport car rental businesses that offer considerable savings over the Hertz and Avis crowd at the airport. Does anyone on the board know of a similiar off airport car rental area near the Punta Cana airport? I've checked everywhere and I've come up empty. If anyone knows of a good rental agency I would greatly appreciate their number.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
In DR Hertz and Avis can give you a car with play in steering, poor brakes and other "surprises". Renting from cheaper local businesses is much worse.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
unfortunately renting a car in the d.r. seems to be a nightmare...whether you deal with the main car rental firms or not ...ive had a lot of problems with avis....last august I had booked an suv...when I arrived they didn't have one and then forced me to buy the insurance despite my credit card covering this

Nov 17, 2007
rentacar

With US air carriers focusing on the Punta Cana resort traffic it has become considerably cheaper to fly into Punta Cana than Santo Domingo. From the US midwest about $300-$400 per flight cheaper. The problem is that Las Americas has about 20 wildcat off airport car rental businesses that offer considerable savings over the Hertz and Avis crowd at the airport. Does anyone on the board know of a similiar off airport car rental area near the Punta Cana airport? I've checked everywhere and I've come up empty. If anyone knows of a good rental agency I would greatly appreciate their number.

I use prestige for the last couple of years and no problems at all.
They have office in La Romana, but meet you at the curve at LRM,PUJ,SDQ and have good service.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
unfortunately renting a car in the d.r. seems to be a nightmare...whether you deal with the main car rental firms or not ...ive had a lot of problems with avis....last august I had booked an suv...when I arrived they didn't have one and then forced me to buy the insurance despite my credit card covering this

and your credit card covers Casa de Conductor and the for Gringos so vital max of RD$1.000.000.- Pesos de Fianza?

Mike

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Where are you driving to from Punta Cana? Get a mid sized suv. Dominican roads have improved but you will have a little more comfort and stability. A couple of things to check when you are renting is the condition of the tires, brakes, lights and ac. Good luck and have fun.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Mike is spot on, No they don't cover it. And the insurance they make you buy is the now Mandatory liability insurance. The other insurances are optional but Tourists should be buying the car company insurance because their own is no good until they get back home. And as to vehicle quality I can say that the "name brand" companies do have decent cars. I rent from Alamo and often get very low mileage cars. With the local companies it is hit and miss.
So much misinformation on this topic. Renting a midsize SUV can take a small fortune Steve. Nothing wrong with the compacts and mid-size vehicles at the name brands. And always, always do a good check of the vehicle and take fotos if you are concerned. I make the guys put down every little scratch and I never have problems. I've rented hundreds of times and it pays to be careful and if you don't like the car tell them to change it.

and your credit card covers Casa de Conductor and the for Gringos so vital max of RD$1.000.000.- Pesos de Fianza?

Mike

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014
A few things to keep in mind, generally, about car rental here: 1) your card will be pre-authorized for the for estimated cost of the rental + $1,500 to $2,000 to cover any damages (in the US it's typically cost + 15% to $400); 2) make sure you actually pay attention, and point out everything, during the pre-rental inspection; 3) the Amex premium rental car add-on does cover damages here (have had this for years and well worth the $30 per rental); 4) if you're in the SD, casa de conductor should be considered - there is a facility there, here in the La Romana area there isn't a facility, so the insurance is a waste (they're not driving you to the hotel in SD if you crash here), I don't know if there is a facility in PC; 5) don't expect that the "class" (full-sized, economy, van, etc.) will be available when you show up (much like renting in the U.S. - sometimes it just isn't in inventory).

I have rented here a number of times, some when visiting and some after I moved and just needed an extra car. The most recent experiences have been at Hertz at LRM airport. Never a problem. There have been glitches, but nothing that rises to "nightmare" status.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Concur with the mention above recommending Alamo or National. Had experience recommending a rental to a friend years back. The friend was smashed in the back by a wealthy man who said he did not have the time to go to the Police station for the claim. Problem was that our friend was leaving that afternoon. We were in Samana, he was departing via Las Americas. The car was driveable. Took it to the National headquarters off Las Americas Highway and then he left, leaving the problem to National to deal with the guy in Samana. Had photos and the guy's documents. On our recommendation he had purchased full coverage from the company. That is the way to go.

http://dr1.com/national/

Buy full coverage from a reputable company and enjoy driving here. While I don't recommend newcomers driving in Santo Domingo, renting a car is certainly a plus when in Puerto Plata, Samana where one usually has an active vacation -- not an all inclusive resort one.

Last edited:

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
only my opinions here, I won't claim to know any more or less than anyone else:

Casa del conductor & rental car insurance above what bank cards and AMEX cover are - again only in my opinion - basically the same as the US$10.00 one pound bags of Cafe Santo Domingo I see in the airport shops. It is something priced at what its market will bear.

It's true that credit card insurance only covers loss (as in theft) and damage to the vehicle or property (someone else's). It's a good idea to confirm the details of coverage because more than a few insurers that service the credit card industry specficially exclude countries like Mexico and, yes, the Dominican Republic. When there is loss and damage coverage, it usuallly excludes for hire driving, anything off road (that can include a long driveway into a resort by the way), and vehicles with suspension or engine modifications. So, stick with the stock stuff.

Medical expenses are of course only covered by separate medical insurance. Interesting how seldom that subject comes up in discussions about car rentals. I'm surprised to see advice encouraging insurance against the inconvenience and discomfort of temporary incarceration but little information about what to do in the event a visitor is injured and needs to be hospitalized. Let's face it, if you get hauled off to jail it's normally because you are judged to be responsible for a very serious injury or a death. Anyway, we probably all agree it's best to take care to avoid that sort of situation. Anyway, back to casa del conductor. It doesn't even exist in most of the country. I think someone mentioned that. Where it does exist, such as Santo Domingo, it's a profitable business because of the fear based demand. I see it as a sanctioned and more organized version of the roadside shakedowns that were so prevalent in the 80s and 90s (we'll have to take you to the cuartel, you could be there hours, that legal turn you made is a very serious offense etc.). It's not nearly as frequent as it used to be but I still see and hear about it from time to time. The police play on fears to get drivers - usually foreigners - to hand over a few hundred pesos.

Back to the subject of premium insurance coverage offered by rental car companies. It is not mandatory. I've personally seen counter agents tell customers it is mandatory, but it is not. In fact, you don't have to have insurance at all if you sign a waiver. Let me be clear, I am in no way recommending that, I am only stating the facts. You sign a similar waiver to use the insurance credit card companies provide. Another poster correctly stated that the credit card insurance coverage claims are paid after the rental contract is settled and the renter pays damages, normally when a visitor is back in their home country. So, if you are on a tight budget, you might be better off paying the $20 to $30 daily insurance fee. It just about doubles the cost of a compact car rental, but if it helps relax the mind during vacation maybe it's worth it.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I have used both Budget and National. Booked it on line and used a Visa Avion card to pay. They do try to push the extra insurance but its all covered by the visa card. Politely declined and never had a problem. I do have a Dominican drivers license so that could be why I don't get hasselled to much.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You do realize that paying $20 per day for extra insurance puts the yearly rate at over $7,000 US. Of course they try to sell it. I have been renting cars for 50 years, and have declined it for 50 years. I could buy a Rolls Royce with what I saved. And never paid a dime extra when returning a car.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You do realize that paying $20 per day for extra insurance puts the yearly rate at over $7,000 US. Of course they try to sell it. I have been renting cars for 50 years, and have declined it for 50 years. I could buy a Rolls Royce with what I saved. And never paid a dime extra when returning a car.

Like you, we've never ever taken insurance on any car anywhere, and we rented cars in DR for 37 years, until we shipped our own car in this year. Used our CC insurance. Never an issue either.

Maybe we were both very lucky.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
At SDQ Budget told me that if I don't take their insurance they will place a $800.00 hold on top of the rental. When I said have a nice day they backed off.