Cash US$ Cheque from CAD bank

MauriceNS

Jun 2, 2014
Is there any place in Sosua or Cabarete where I can cash a cheque from a Canadian bank (BMO). It is a US dollaraccount, but a Canadian bank. If there is a place, can I cash for US dollars, or only pesos? Any idea what fees they would charge?

Any info would be great.
Thanks.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Is there any place in Sosua or Cabarete where I can cash a cheque from a Canadian bank (BMO). It is a US dollaraccount, but a Canadian bank. If there is a place, can I cash for US dollars, or only pesos? Any idea what fees they would charge?

Any info would be great.
Thanks.

possibly if its a BANK DRAFT, you can do it, however they would put a hold on it especially if they don't know you and you have no cuenta.. Any CDN cheques I have cashed in the DR needed to be accompanied by a letter from the CDN bank clearly stating where the funds came from.. On a side note I found a CAMBIO that exchanges CDN money at very decent rates..

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If you have a bank account here they will take it but the hold will be for up to 45 days. Thats what my bank does anyway. Good luck.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Louis Marte central Cabarete....if its a bank draft he will cash it, but a cheque may take a couple of days.....he's located right beside a little guy that rents motos across from where Nikki Beach used to be....

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
i had 5 us dollar checks written on royal bank of canada, i cashed 2 at casa de cambio rusa in puerto plata and 3 at banco santa cruz. all the checks were returned and i had to pay about 45 dollars per check as a fee and payback rusa for the amount of the checks. maybe things have changed but i think you have a problem

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A USD cheque drawn on TD and deposited to my account at BanReserva is held for 30 days before released.