Many Shipments Will Not be Received

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
And that even more so, as customs intelligence officials do not allow investigations by the 'Direcci?n Central de Investigaciones Criminales' (DICRIM). :p

Hermetismo en el robo al dep?sito de los courier en el Aeropuerto de Las Am?ricas - DiarioLibre.com

donP

I was happy tonight to find that the items for my daughter made it to Bavaro...would have been a very disappointed girl! Just the same, what does this say about the people we put trust in??? Anyone find the fence from the airport???

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
I would say...send your receipt (they show the shipping from Miami or wherever and dates received in AILA) and the government is RESPONSIBLE for payment of "misplaced" items.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
BTW...this does not bode well with the tax collectors....seems they have had a mission and maybe this is yet another attempt at curtailing internet shopping.

On a side note....about the garbage sold here....I bought a small bike for my 2 year old daughter from La Sirena. It took 2 rotations of the pedals before the front hub broke into pieces, leaving the bike nothing more than metal for the re-cycler. If I take it back, I know that it will be "my fault", thus not even wasting the gas and time to return it to Higuey. (Dominican public relations at it's finest).

Most Dominican stores sell cheap garbage and those who do sell quality, do so at 50% more than what the market price really is.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I guess this is the next logical step. For years, highwaymen in cahoots with airport workers stalked and preyed on unsuspecting people coming down for the holidays loaded down with gifts and cash. They go as far as intentionally colliding with cars leaving the Las Americas airport once they get to the dark part of the road near Los Frailes. When they get the unlucky travelers to stop their car, they have their way with them. Sometimes at night you can see police patrols staking out the dark sections of the highway that are out of sight of guagua stops and colmados, usually after the robberies start to show up in the newspaper. It's incredible how much stuff some people bring down.

I would be shocked if the customs warehouse caper was not an inside job. It has to be irresistible for a 10,000 peso a month guachiman to see all that swag piling up.

Airport Las Am?ricas
Goods worth millions (RD$ ?) were stolen in a Christmas robbery from a (Customs) warehouse where more than 15 couriers receive imported shipments from the US.
Circumstances suggest an inside job. ;)

Confirman investigan robo millonario del dep?sito n?mero cinco del AILA donde operan empresas de Courier - listindiario.com

donP

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I was downstairs earlier this evening having drinks with my neighbors. One of them was telling us how one of the women in who lives here in our neighborhood had several items removed/ stolen from a container she shipped over from Spain just recently. I guess she was lucky to have received anything at all after reading the news about this massive theft of cargo.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
On a side note....about the garbage sold here....I bought a small bike for my 2 year old daughter from La Sirena. It took 2 rotations of the pedals before the front hub broke into pieces, leaving the bike nothing more than metal for the re-cycler. If I take it back, I know that it will be "my fault", thus not even wasting the gas and time to return it to Higuey. (Dominican public relations at it's finest).
if you need or want cheap inferior products you are in luck.............
and i remember my confusion when i bought something at the ferrateria in sosua years ago....i bought the wrong one...not used just wrong...it was a ten dollar item and i had spent about 30-40$ there...i tried to return it...they said no...absolutely no...their answer was why did you buy it?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
For the first time has many item stolen from the barrel. This country is more hopeless every day.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
BTW...this does not bode well with the tax collectors....seems they have had a mission and maybe this is yet another attempt at curtailing internet shopping.

Most Dominican stores sell cheap garbage and those who do sell quality, do so at 50% more than what the market price really is.

Dominicans are second class citizens, from a 3rd class country, living no frills budgets, buying what the rest of the world rejects. There is a very clear reason DR is not an ideal place to live if you like things that work, last and are affordable. New residents baffle me.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
New residents baffle me.

There is more to life than just cost. It is however, possible to live in the DR for much less than the rising minimum costs of living at home. When people retire and begin living on a fixed income, and the cost of living continues to climb every year at home: property taxes, electricity, gas, food etc, one can easily do the math and figure out how many years one can remain there before they begin to feel the hurt. When all the excess money is gone and one is merely subsisting, relocating is a much more daunting prospect then than getting out of Dodge when the bank account has a surplus.

One can live more cost effectively here if one chooses to do so.

Other reasons if money is not a factor are climate, a change of pace, a year round garden to help with food costs, and of course that pesky warrant hanging around one's neck back home...

Cheap quality stuff is a pain in the a$$ but there is a formula for that which I ignore almost always. Couldn't find a suitable kitchen garbage can locally, so brought one in from amazon. I could have chosen a plastic version but I'm not yet merely subsisting.

It's nice to have a choice and those that do are free to choose. The aim of the game is to ensure one always has choices. If my thinking is correct, I should have choices long after such an option would expire at home for the same amount of $$$. The DR just has to get the cost increases for coffee under control...

If one can't afford to live well in the DR, then one certainly cannot afford to live well in NA. My rent is cheaper here than it would be at home. Food is on par with what I spent at home. My utilities are cheaper here, internet is more expensive but cable is much less etc. I am hoping that inflation here proceeds at a slower pace than at home - at least until I check out then I don't have to worry about it anymore.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Airport Las Am?ricas
Goods worth millions (RD$ ?) were stolen in a Christmas robbery from a (Customs) warehouse where more than 15 couriers receive imported shipments from the US.
Circumstances suggest an inside job. ;)

Confirman investigan robo millonario del dep?sito n?mero cinco del AILA donde operan empresas de Courier - listindiario.com

donP

Good job, customs. What, did they leave the door unlocked and the lights on? What bs. It amazes me the arrongance of these people. Luuuuccccyyyyy you are in big troooouuubbbllle

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
There is more to life than just cost. It is however, possible to live in the DR for much less than the rising minimum costs of living at home. When people retire and begin living on a fixed income, and the cost of living continues to climb every year at home: property taxes, electricity, gas, food etc, one can easily do the math and figure out how many years one can remain there before they begin to feel the hurt. When all the excess money is gone and one is merely subsisting, relocating is a much more daunting prospect then than getting out of Dodge when the bank account has a surplus.

One can live more cost effectively here if one chooses to do so.

Other reasons if money is not a factor are climate, a change of pace, a year round garden to help with food costs, and of course that pesky warrant hanging around one's neck back home...

Cheap quality stuff is a pain in the a$$ but there is a formula for that which I ignore almost always. Couldn't find a suitable kitchen garbage can locally, so brought one in from amazon. I could have chosen a plastic version but I'm not yet merely subsisting.

It's nice to have a choice and those that do are free to choose. The aim of the game is to ensure one always has choices. If my thinking is correct, I should have choices long after such an option would expire at home for the same amount of $$$. The DR just has to get the cost increases for coffee under control...

If one can't afford to live well in the DR, then one certainly cannot afford to live well in NA. My rent is cheaper here than it would be at home. Food is on par with what I spent at home. My utilities are cheaper here, internet is more expensive but cable is much less etc. I am hoping that inflation here proceeds at a slower pace than at home - at least until I check out then I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Of course it is cheaper than Canada. PST, GST, income tax, luxury tax, stripper tax, der eh? Yes if you are one person you can survive on less in the DR but that is not the point. Quality of life is really the issue and as you age you decide that your priorities especially in health care area are not up to NA standards. It is nice to options and you need cash for that.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Good job, customs. What, did they leave the door unlocked and the lights on? What bs. It amazes me the arrongance of these people. Luuuuccccyyyyy you are in big troooouuubbbllle

Yeah. Of course it is yet to be seen, but I just can't imagine the current government not making a quick resolution of this incident a priority. The fallout for doing anything less would be tremendous. The DR is on a good trajectory but if this situation gets swept under the rug, as such things have been in the past, it will set things back big time.

Aug 6, 2006
I have sent a couple of 40 gallon blue barrels from Miami to San Cristobal through SD via container ship, and the contents were undisturbed. It took about a month, and cost $125 per barrel.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Of course it is cheaper than Canada. PST, GST, income tax, luxury tax, stripper tax, der eh? Yes if you are one person you can survive on less in the DR but that is not the point. Quality of life is really the issue and as you age you decide that your priorities especially in health care area are not up to NA standards. It is nice to options and you need cash for that.

I'm with the Gringo on this... yes, you can live cheaper here and no you need not give up the 'goodies'

with a good plan and execution , you can have your cake and eat it.

Too many just jump in without a strategy