Trip to San Jose De Ocoa

I am planning on making a trip to San Jose De Ocoa in the next few weeks I would like to know does anyone know the condition of the road from Constanza area down to San Jose? I am hearing that it is in pretty good shape and recently re done? Has anyone traveled this route recently? I am also looking for a decent hotel in the town for a night or 2. Appreciate any info thanks.

Aug 6, 2006
Cobraboy and Frank 12 can give you advice. The road from Ocoa to Cruce de Ocoa is new and well paved. I think that the road from Ocoa to Constanza would require a 4X4 or perhaps a trail bike, but I have no personal knowledge of it.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I drove some of that stretch (from Constanza down to SJ) in the summer in a RAV4, to get to a waterfall 10 miles south of Constanza. I know a couple of dry riverbeds I would rather drive than that road, never again!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Here is most of it...it's both stunning and beautiful:

[video=youtube_share;TYjWvyjLgx4]http://youtu.be/TYjWvyjLgx4[/video]

nispero

Nov 7, 2014
... I would like to know does anyone know the condition of the road from Constanza area down to San Jose? I am hearing that it is in pretty good shape and recently re done? Has anyone traveled this route recently? I am also looking for a decent hotel in the town for a night or 2. Appreciate any info thanks.

Hi badpiece

Did that road the other way ... from San Jose to Constanza in mid December 2014 on a motoconcho. Road is unpaved but very beautiful. Google for 18?51'13.7"N 70?43'22.9"W and zoom out a bit. This will show you a (grey) shortcut of the (otherwise yellow) 41. You might want to to take that shortcut, as it is in a much better state than the original road arround the valley closer to Aquas blancas. As long as you avoid the part of the 42 close to Aquas blancas (by taking the shortcut) the road will be ok for a vehicle with high ground clearance.

I am looking forward to do the same trip again in 2015 and stay for a camping weekend in Valle Nuevo.

Hotel i like in Constanza: Hotel Vista del Valle, Calle Antonio Maria Garcia 41, Constanza, Dominican Republic.
Can't find the name of the hotel in Ocoa .. should be the building at 18?33'00.5"N 70?30'25.7"W. It's a white two story building in a otherwise one story neighbourhood.

have fun and a happy new year!

Aug 6, 2006
There seem to be a variety of opinions.

If there is a guagua service linking Constanza with San Jose de Ocoa, that would be a sign that it is usually passable.

nispero

Nov 7, 2014
There seem to be a variety of opinions.

There are two options as i pointed out in my last post. Take the option close to Aquas Blancas - which is kind of unavoidable if you want to go to Aquas Blancas, and you will find yourself on a road that is easier to walk than to drive. I did that in 2013.
Take the other option via the "shortcut" and the road will be fine. That's at least my experience from Dez. 2014.

If there is a guagua service linking Constanza with San Jose de Ocoa, that would be a sign that it is usually passable.

I heard there is a guagua twice a week. I plan to go by guagua next time.

The Hotel in Ocoa might be called "San Fransisco"