Did you know my brother? Or the circumstances of his recent suicide?

ArkDog

Dec 28, 2014
My brother Ken last resided in Rio San Juan at the Hotel Bahia Blanca. He was 62, tall, long blond hair and very underweight. He committed suicide by hanging himself. It happened sometime in early October, 2014, somewhere in the hills between Nagua and Rio San Juan. It was not unexpected. He had a drug addiction problem, frequented prostitutes, was in poor health and getting increasingly unstable mentally. He spent all his money but refused to come back to the US. He was buried in San Francisco de Macoris.

I have been in touch with the embassy. They have been helpful but they are limited in what they can do. The police did a cursory investigation but haven't offered much information. I have received conflicting accounts because of the overlapping police jurisdictions. At first I was told that he was murdered.

I am wondering if anyone there knew him or knows about the circumstances surrounding his death? I just want to know more about his last days there.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
Sorry for your loss but please don't put your family business here remember it's a public forum.....If someone has info try to contact them by other means.

ArkDog

Dec 28, 2014
Sorry for your loss but please don't put your family business here remember it's a public forum.....If someone has info try to contact them by other means.

I sincerely apologize. I logged in, read the FAQ, etc. but I don't seem to be able to delete the post. There is no edit button. I'll keep trying.

I sincerely apologize. I logged in, read the FAQ, etc. but I don't seem to be able to delete the post. There is no edit button. I'll keep trying.

No need to apologize, you obviously want to find out what happened to your brother!

I am very sorry for you loss and hope you find out answers!

You can't delete the post and only have a few minutes after writing it to be able to edit.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
You don't need to apologise. You don't need to delete your post.

What you pozted was fine as it was. Especially so when you look at the crap otner people post.

Modetators will provife you guidance if nevrssary.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
My brother Ken last resided in Rio San Juan at the Hotel Bahia Blanca. He was 62, tall, long blond hair and very underweight. He committed suicide by hanging himself. It happened sometime in early October, 2014, somewhere in the hills between Nagua and Rio San Juan. It was not unexpected. He had a drug addiction problem, frequented prostitutes, was in poor health and getting increasingly unstable mentally. He spent all his money but refused to come back to the US. He was buried in San Francisco de Macoris.

I have been in touch with the embassy. They have been helpful but they are limited in what they can do. The police did a cursory investigation but haven't offered much information. I have received conflicting accounts because of the overlapping police jurisdictions. At first I was told that he was murdered.

I am wondering if anyone there knew him or knows about the circumstances surrounding his death? I just want to know more about his last days there.

My condolences for your loss, and I hope you find the answers you need for closure to this incident. One poster already posted about getting ahold of Bahia Blanca, so my advice to you would be to contact a person on this forum named DV8. Private message her with you questions and concerns. She is probably on vacation right now, as I've not seen her post in a week or so, but she is very up to date on all of the news that goes on here in the DR and would be your best bet for info off of this forum. I wish you well.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
You don't need to apologise. You don't need to delete your post.

What you pozted was fine as it was. Especially so when you look at the crap otner people post.

Modetators will provife you guidance if nevrssary.

Most here are not sensitive to others issues. I just advised him not to get too personal. Cause most her have no respect to ones suffering. He needs information not a lot of the usual BS that is spewed here. I never meant/suggested for him to delete the post. To just be careful. Most here will understand what I am referring to. How many times someone has passed away and the mods have to play clean up to some of the crap that's posted? Just trying to save this person undue pain. he has suffered enough.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009

Please don't take it that I meant for you to delete your post. Just did not want you to go through the usual crap that some can/will write and not just answer your original question.

ArkDog

Dec 28, 2014
I want to thank everyone for the thoughtful sentiments and suggestions. I think everyone makes valid points here and I take them in the spirit that they were offered. In order to alleviate a repeat of this situation in the future, perhaps you might consider adding a "Missing Persons" forum here for people in my situation.

As for contacting the Bahia Blanca Hotel, they were the ones that originally contacted me when Ken went missing. They were very helpful and stored his possessions until he was found. In return for their help I let them keep the $7,000.00 Dominican Pesos my brother left behind.

As for private messaging others in the forum, it would seem I am not allowed to do so until I have 10 posts. I do have a copy of the police report but it is not extremely informative.

I was just hoping to connect with someone who knew my brother or had heard of his story. In this case I can be emailed privately so as not to make this thread too cumbersome.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013

wow u jump all over a grieving brother....why? i have lost people and have put it here and no one minded ever....

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I feel for your situation, and like the others wish you luck in finding the answers you seek. At the risk of giving some suggestions you've already tried or lead to a dead end, here are a couple of things I would also try:

1. Was he a member here on DR1? If he had an e-mail he used, maybe Robert could verify his username? If you can verify a username, you would be able to read his posts and possibly learn more about his time here as well as possibly find additional contacts. A pm to someone who may have known him may be seen, where this post may not be seen by that person. I think the 10 post minimum before you can pm someone is just to keep the spammers away. You'll have no problem getting ten posts if you just update this thread or respond to a few of the posters.

2. Did you do an internet search for any local reporting at the time of his death?

3. Depending on the responses you get here, you may be able to arrange to have someone go ask around for you.

You have my condolences. Losing a family member is never easy, but having it be outside the country complicates things so much more. Here's hoping someone can help.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
Give it up now or you will be erased. Don't say you wasn't warned.

Last edited by a moderator:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Rio San Juan is a small place.
If you can go there and ask around, I am sure you will find people who knew him.

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014
I'm sorry for your loss and that I can be of any real help, other than to suggest that you come down and start asking around. If he had regular places that he frequented, I'm sure you could show a picture and get some additional information. I know that having pages missing from a story is hard. Good luck and again, I am very sorry for your loss.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Sorry for your loss and despite what people said about posting personal stuff on a public forum I do understand your motives and I probably would have done the same if I'd be in your situation.
There are quite a few people on this forum who might have some to you usefull information which might get you the answers you're seeking.
I'm convinced that any uncalled for remarks will be dealt with accordingly by the responsible moderators, I wish you luck.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
will web. has good advice for you......
my friend died and his brother hired a lawyer firm to look into his remaining property sit. and throw off the non paying people and seize the house...
sorry for your loss...i have lost a brother myself under some other but sim. circumstances.... but that was in flor. and his effects were shipped to his relatives....
i like the cross in the ground at the side of the road close to where he passed....im sure that you can do that or get it done...r.i.p.