A warning to all with cars or trucks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This will be on the front page of Monday's Diario Libre:

SD. The Metropolitan Transit Authority (AMET) reminded the people yesterday that the deadline for renewing the motor vehicle marbetes-circulation permits-ends next 31 December at 1:00 p.m.
The spokesman for the entity, Diego Pesqueira, stressed that when the deadline is up, AMET is authorized to check motor vehicles to see if they have complied with the law.
Pesqueira recalled that the AMET agents will order a late fee of RD $600 for the citizens that drive vehicles without marbete’s that are up to date and addition to them they will also impose a fine for violating the law.

I would imagine that there will be lines at many places but any S&L can do it is just a few minutes. If AMET catches you the cost and inconvenience will be much worse..

HB (My last good deed of the year--maybe)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
deadline dec 31st 1PM means they have all wednesday afternoon to collect the needed monies for their New Years Fiestas, haha.
i guess the full AMET Force will be out there on the streets Wednesday 1:01PM and all afternoon long.

Happy New Year

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
are construction worker helmets still accepted as a helmet for bikers???, hahaha.
read carefully the prior line, about the vehicles: they are ordered to SEIZE the vehicles without the sticker. with just 60% of all cars renewed, that should make for some interesting ocurances on the roads at the beginning of the year. specially as Jan1st-6th no stickers wilol be available, because only sold by DGII offices and they are closed for the holidays, back open on Jan 7th.
it will make for some interesting observations on those roads, and the Grujas making good bucks.

Mike

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
This came out in todays news on DR1.... I am posting it because of that last line.

As of 1pm on the last day of the year, all vehicles need to display the 2015 stickers. Car owners have had more than three months to secure the sticker known as the 'marbete.' As of the 31st, a RD$600 fine needs to be paid for renewal and only the DGII offices will be selling the document starting on the next working day, Tuesday 6 January 2015. Metropolitan Transport Authority agents are under orders to seize any vehicle using the roads without the permit. As of Friday, 26 December 2014, only 60% of vehicle owners had renewed the permit that costs on average RD$1,200.

AMET is also warning that it will seize motorcycles from motorcyclists driving without helmets and correct documentation.

I hope this means 2015 is the year they start kicking butt with motorcycle riders full time...

They have been doing this in La Romana for months. They do it on main streets on random days. And, they haul away truck loads of motos. Only for not having helmets or papers, so this doesn't help much with the other problems you seem to have with them.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
They've been doing this in San Cristobal too. Anyone who's familiar with the bridge before La Sirena....they set up on the La Sirena side of the bridge, and catch 'em as they come over the bridge. Fill up the back of a truck. Snarls traffic too.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
whats the reason why you guys wait til the last day? anything safed on it?
lol
a week ago at none of those banks been any line or waiting to get the sticker, but so many people just wait til the last day and then the crying starts.
banks will over all be full on the 30th and 31st, and again on the 2nd and then te 3rd is right away weekend.

Mike

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Three banks today said they cannot do it. They directed me to a govt bldg, but I couldn't exactly follow their directions. Puerto Plata, any one know precisely where to go?

If you know where central park is, its across the street (south side) of Casa Nelson, where the lights are....the building has letter on it DGII....Direccion General Impuestas Internos.....hope this helps

May 5, 2007
Three banks today said they cannot do it. They directed me to a govt bldg, but I couldn't exactly follow their directions. Puerto Plata, any one know precisely where to go?

C'mon Fish, do like you always have, shave your head and paint in purple :nervous:

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
La Nacional in Sosua just across the street from Playero - a couple of hundred people in line today. I opted not to waste my day in lines. Anyone know where I can get marbete on the North Coast without waiting in lines? I am OK to drive an hour as long as I do not have to wait whole day in line. Otherwise I go at 6AM tomorrow to La Nacional.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
took a full sweep around the eastern side today, no checkpoint of any kind anywhere, a rare thingy lately. i guess today they all take a rest to be back on full powers tomorrow afternoon, lol.

Mike

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If you didn't want to wait in lines, you should have renewed weeks ago. Locals seem to always wait until last possible moment to do Govt stuff then it looks like ants to a bowl of sugar. Foreigners should know better, but we too can be lazy and procrastinate with the best of them.

We'll see this again in less than two weeks when the cedulas expire...

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
whats the reason why you guys wait til the last day? anything safed on it?
lol
a week ago at none of those banks been any line or waiting to get the sticker, but so many people just wait til the last day and then the crying starts.
banks will over all be full on the 30th and 31st, and again on the 2nd and then te 3rd is right away weekend.

Mike

I don't quite get it why wait till the last minute, nothing to gain from it.
Every year I buy mine within a week of announcement, put it on my window and forget about it..... :)

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
good to hear you finally got it done.
for mine i did not need a copy of the cedula, i did not even need to show my cedula, they just wanted a copy of the Car's Matricula and a few minutes later i had the sticker.

Mike

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Been trying to do mine since last Friday and keep failing. The system keeps crashing and the queues are very long and sometime violent!

My life is not long enough for this fiasco. Looks like I'll be bribing AMET cops until I can get it done!

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
So what are people doing that have motorbikes on the East Coast? Those need to be taken to DGII in Higuey, as I understand. It appears more of them have no plates, from my informal observational survey the past couple of days.

I don't quite get it why wait till the last minute, nothing to gain from it.
Every year I buy mine within a week of announcement, put it on my window and forget about it..... :)

Not everyone who lives here is retired and does nothing day in and day out, some of us are extremely busy!!

( I am retired but way busier here than when I had 3 jobs and - 97 yr old
to take care of!)

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Not everyone who lives here is retired and does nothing day in and day out, some of us are extremely busy!!

( I am retired but way busier here than when I had 3 jobs and - 97 yr old
to take care of!)

Naaaa, thats the lamest excuse of all.
for the time frame of 3 Months!!!!! those stickers been available hassle free without staying in any line, to be received in a matter of less than 5 minutes, who is too busy to have 5 minutes for that??

Happy New Year

MIke

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Naaaa, thats the lamest excuse of all.
for the time frame of 3 Months!!!!! those stickers been available hassle free without staying in any line, to be received in a matter of less than 5 minutes, who is too busy to have 5 minutes for that??

Presuming you don't need to take your vehicle in to another city for inspection, that is.