Best Internet Service and Living Area

Tim Rodriguez

Dec 30, 2014
Hi I was just wondering if anyone could tell were are the best places, cities, towns, etc in DR where I can find goodInternet service. I'm thinking about moving there and finding good internet service would play a big part into in choosing were I wound live. Thank you

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Larger metro areas like Santo Domingo and Santiago have the most options when it comes to service providers. As far as quality, many threads have discussed this issue in the past. Opinions may vary.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
Visit Santo Domingo and Santiago the two largest provinces get a feel for the different areas and make a better personal choice. Some will say Santo Domingo and on the flip side some will say Santiago. Lots of the members here have lived in both areas and can inform you of the key differences to both places.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You don't have to go to the two large cities to get good Internet. Punta Cana, Bavaro, and plenty of other cities have the same internet. If you like traffic jams all day then you will love SD.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Jungle Internet

You don't have to go to the two large cities to get good Internet.

Internet cannot be good enough to want me move to Santo Domingo or Santiago. :tired:
I am in the 'jungle' and get (reliable and true) 2 Mb/s DL and 384 Kb/s UL, unlimited for 2,050 RD$.

Nothing to write home about, I know, but it does what I need it for. :classic:

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You would have to pay me to live in Santo Domingo. I am in Cabarete and have 5 Mb/s down and 1.25 Mb/s upload speeds with a cable modem. Higher speed options are available.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
I know the fastest centro de internet probably in DR - 20mbps and its located in remote area, away from biggest cities and provincies...
and to answer your question: everywhere where is the Claro steady line connection possibility you can get there up to 10 mbps, I suppose...the question is: do you really want to pay for it 5x-6x times more than you would pay for that in US or Europe ...?

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Claro has fiber optic service in Santiago and Santo Domingo but only in specific neighborhoods.

Tricom has fiber optic but not as large of a footprint as Claro.

Really depends on what you need the internet for though.

donP's internet wouldn't work for me but it works for him, know what I'm sayin?

Tim Rodriguez

Dec 30, 2014
Hahaha I don't want to pay 5x times as much hahaha but I'm will to pay for quality I basically need a good connection for Skype so that I can teach English online. Where is the remote area? And Thank you for the reply

Tim Rodriguez

Dec 30, 2014
Yes your right I basically need it for a good Skype connection. I plan to teach English on line while I'm there. Wow they got fiber!! Thanks so much for the reply.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
You would have to pay me to live in Santo Domingo. I am in Cabarete and have 5 Mb/s down and 1.25 Mb/s upload speeds with a cable modem. Higher speed options are available.

You almost had it right. It should say You could not pay me enough to live in Santo Domingo :D

Bob K

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi I was just wondering if anyone could tell were are the best places, cities, towns, etc in DR where I can find goodInternet service. I'm thinking about moving there and finding good internet service would play a big part into in choosing were I wound live. Thank you

What are your other interests. This will go a long way to determine which part of the country will best fit your life style.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Skype VoIP

... I'm will to pay for quality...I basically need a good connection for Skype so that I can teach English online.

Hmm, I see. :cross-eye

By the way, Skype voice communication does not need a very fast internet connection, but a reliable one.
I use it a lot with my relatively cheap plan without problems.

donP

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
You don't have to go to the two large cities to get good Internet. Punta Cana, Bavaro, and plenty of other cities have the same internet. If you like traffic jams all day then you will love SD.

I drive around in SD at all times of the day and I find that only early in the morning and between 5 and 6pm there are serious traffic jams in some parts of the city. Mostly I get from one end of the city to the other in 10 minutes, traffic in SD isn't that bad at all. I only avoid the blocks between Churchill and Lincoln at peak hour.