Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Jewish History in the Caribbean
November 09, 2014
The Dominican Republic beach town of Sosua offers Jewish history sites
By: Mark Rogers

Travelers have grown accustomed to recognizing Spanish and African heritage in the Caribbean ? a heritage that has a complex history of conquest and slavery. However, lesser-known migration took place in the Dominican Republic in 1938, when the town of Sosua became a refuge for 700 European Jews fleeing the Nazi occupation of Germany. The immigrants were granted a tract of land that was a former banana plantation and began farming and raising cattle. They established their own village called El Batey, a Spanish phrase used to describe a residential area on a plantation. As Sosua grew over the decades, El Batey was absorbed into the city and is now considered the main tourist district of Sosua.

By most accounts, it wasn?t easy for the Jewish immigrants to adjust to life in their tropical sanctuary. There was a new language to learn, a sunny and sultry climate to grow accustomed to and fresh challenges as they took up agriculture.

At the same time, there was the grateful realization that they were out of harm?s way and far from Nazi persecution. Homesick immigrants established a choir, with Jewish children singing alongside Dominican kids. The Dominican Republic?s plan was to eventually resettle 100,000 Jews, a plan that was motivated by Dominican self-interest, since the immigrants brought many positives with them, including a high level of education. A more controversial reason was fascist-sympathizer President Trujillo?s desire to ?whiten the local population? through intermarriage. Visa restrictions and red tape prevented a greater wave of Jewish immigrants from arriving.

Sosua has several modest Jewish heritage sites in the middle of the tourist district that pack an emotional punch for visitors with an interest in this history. The Jewish Heritage Museum?s exhibitions chronicle the story of the immigrants? new life in the Dominican Republic, with an emphasis on the successful dairy farming enterprise they created. Adjacent to the museum is a small wood-frame house. This is the town?s synagogue, which is open to visitors and where services and weddings are held.

Sosua?s tourism didn?t take off until the 1980s, when the Playa Dorada complex of resorts was built and the north shore of the Dominican Republic became the center of the country?s tourism. With the more recent success of Punta Cana, the north shore has languished, and one marketing push after another has been implemented to bring back tourists.

Sosua?s Jewish heritage is just a fraction of the appeal for tourists. The town itself is a delightful balance of city and sea.

Much of the beach activity takes place around Sosua Bay and its crescent-shaped beach. Sosua is the type of town where visitors can exit their hotel and stroll down the streets, end up at the beach for a swim and then meander back to shop or find a restaurant.

Nightlife is lively, with venues within walking distance of major hotels. Two hotels with fine views of the bay include Sosua Bay Hotel and Victorian House. Most visitors to Sosua fly into Puerto Plata?s International Airport, which is only four miles from Sosua.

Jewish History in the Caribbean : TravelAge West

Aug 6, 2006
It is certainly true that both the Jewish immigrants and the DR benefited from Trujillo's settling them in Sosua. The diry products produced in Sosua are quite good. Ecuador has yet to master the production of yellow cheese, which is a definite drawback to Mexican restaurants/ A taco is just not a taco when made with mozarella.

On the other hand, what is alleged to be a taco at the Super Fria on the Malec?n in Barahona makes one yearn for Banquet frozen enchiladas. Cheddar exists, but one must make one's own enchiladas, tacos and guacamole if one has a yen for Mexican food in Barahona.

I doubt that the presence of Jews did all that much with regard to making the population whiter, though.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
You can get flanken--and kosher flanken at that!--by contacting the Chabad rabbi in Santo Domingo, Rabbi Shimon Pelman.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Apart from the fact that significant facts are blatantly incorrect, nice article.

exeurodominican

Feb 1, 2014
I doubt that the presence of Jews did all that much with regard to making the population whiter, though.[/QUOTE]

I tried to cooperate as much as possible with the whitening of the population in the early 80’s. Probably most Dominicans with big noses are my children.
Looking forward to the comments, LOL.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Apart from the fact that significant facts are blatantly incorrect, nice article.

I don't think the mods would mind if you pointed out these mistakes and gave us the correct facts. I find it interesting these people would find such a tiny little dot on the map, so far away, to call home.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It is certainly true that both the Jewish immigrants and the DR benefited from Trujillo's settling them in Sosua. The diry products produced in Sosua are quite good. Ecuador has yet to master the production of yellow cheese, which is a definite drawback to Mexican restaurants/ A taco is just not a taco when made with mozarella.
The original family that established and owned Productos Sosua sold the company a few years ago to a Mexican conglomerate for US$200 million.

For some reason wherever Germans/Austrians settle in large numbers in this hemisphere have become quite developed areas from an economic point of view. The U.S. is an example of a country that received massive numbers of Germans and after the defeat of Hitler, the U.S. government lured most of the top German scientists to its shores, gracing the U.S. With their scientific findings, especially in technology. Albert Einstein was one of them.

Today the EU is basically dependent on the German economic might, had it not been for them the EU would had collapsed a long time ago.

In Latin America the areas of Brazil that received large numbers of Germans are also some of the most developed and orderly areas of that country and of Latin America as a whole. Chile is perhaps the Latin American country that received the most Germans and that has been influenced the most by those people. I personally think their influence is not just obvious in the overall economic development of that country (Chile has developed so much that less than a year ago the U.S. removed them from the list of countries that its cutizens need a visa to enter the U.S., but it's also visible in the infrastructure of cities such as Santiago de Chile which has a very orderly and Germanic/Anglo look and feel. Chileans are also a lot less Latin in their expressions and much more cold as the Germans are; and, last but not least, it's quite obvious that the Germans and their descendants rose quickly to levels of influence and power in Chilean society by simply glimpsing the last names that appear with frequency among its leading business families as well as I high ranking positions in the government. I think not even the U.S. Had such a high presence of Germanic last names and families in such important positions of society as Chile does, despite that the U.S. had one of the largest numbers and concentrations of Germanic people outside Germany and Europe.

I think if the DR would had received a few tens of thousands of Germans with high quality education and they would had stayed in the country after the collapse of the dictatorship, the DR would had been some completely different and much more developed that it currently is.

Aug 6, 2006
I believe this is the same ship that tried to unload its Jewish passengers in Miami and wasn't allowed to do so, and that is how they came to this island.
======================================================
The St. Louis was a German steamship that agreed to transport 620 Jews from Germany to Cuba, which had agreed to take them in. When they arrived in Cuba, they were rejected, as the Cuban government changed its mind. The ship then sailed to Miami, where they were again refused entry. Eventually the St Louis returned to Germany, where many of the reugees werr exterminated. 365 survived the war. A book, The Voyage of the Damned, was written about this. I think it was also made into a film. Another fictional novel, Ship of Fools, was also made into a film, and was loosely based on the St Louis.

The Jews in Sosua came earlier, on one or more other ships. At the Evian Conference, the DR agreed to take 1000 Jews, but I do not think that this number ever arrived.

MS St. Louis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This Wikipedia article says it is not known why the ship did not attempt to visit the DR.

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
======================================================
The St. Louis was a German steamship that agreed to transport 620 Jews from Germany to Cuba, which had agreed to take them in. When they arrived in Cuba, they were rejected, as the Cuban government changed its mind. The ship then sailed to Miami, where they were again refused entry. Eventually the St Louis returned to Germany, where many of the reugees werr exterminated. 365 survived the war. A book, The Voyage of the Damned, was written about this. I think it was also made into a film. Another fictional novel, Ship of Fools, was also made into a film, and was loosely based on the St Louis.

The Jews in Sosua came earlier, on one or more other ships. At the Evian Conference, the DR agreed to take 1000 Jews, but I do not think that this number ever arrived.

MS St. Louis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This Wikipedia article says it is not known why the ship did not attempt to visit the DR.

Xavier, thank you. I think Dertfish chimes in on every single thread just for the sake of it.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Apart from writing my own article, I think I'll stay cryptic, thankewverramuch.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I'm glad the DR didn't let the Nazis in!

The original family that established and owned Productos Sosua sold the company a few years ago to a Mexican conglomerate for US$200 million.

For some reason wherever Germans/Austrians settle in large numbers in this hemisphere have become quite developed areas from an economic point of view. The U.S. is an example of a country that received massive numbers of Germans and after the defeat of Hitler, the U.S. government lured most of the top German scientists to its shores, gracing the U.S. With their scientific findings, especially in technology. Albert Einstein was one of them.

Today the EU is basically dependent on the German economic might, had it not been for them the EU would had collapsed a long time ago.

In Latin America the areas of Brazil that received large numbers of Germans are also some of the most developed and orderly areas of that country and of Latin America as a whole. Chile is perhaps the Latin American country that received the most Germans and that has been influenced the most by those people. I personally think their influence is not just obvious in the overall economic development of that country (Chile has developed so much that less than a year ago the U.S. removed them from the list of countries that its cutizens need a visa to enter the U.S., but it's also visible in the infrastructure of cities such as Santiago de Chile which has a very orderly and Germanic/Anglo look and feel. Chileans are also a lot less Latin in their expressions and much more cold as the Germans are; and, last but not least, it's quite obvious that the Germans and their descendants rose quickly to levels of influence and power in Chilean society by simply glimpsing the last names that appear with frequency among its leading business families as well as I high ranking positions in the government. I think not even the U.S. Had such a high presence of Germanic last names and families in such important positions of society as Chile does, despite that the U.S. had one of the largest numbers and concentrations of Germanic people outside Germany and Europe.

I think if the DR would had received a few tens of thousands of Germans with high quality education and they would had stayed in the country after the collapse of the dictatorship, the DR would had been some completely different and much more developed that it currently is.

The American intelligence community prodded Trujillo into jailing anyone suspected of having Nazi ties. Even Jews like my grandfather, Bruno Philipp (for whom Calle Bruno Philipp is named). It's bad enough that the Mafia came to the DR after Castro kicked them out of Cuba in the 1950s. As for the accuracy of the article, all inclusive tourism came to Sosua in the late 1980s. Before that, it already was a first class tourism destination. The Dutch royal family came to Villas Coralillos often. (Now Sosua Bay Resort). My late uncle had a share in Productos Sosua. Guess Herman Strauss owes me a few million. Anyone know where to find him?

exeurodominican

Feb 1, 2014
Gabriela, I found this for you:

Re: Sosua synagogue
01 December 2012, 19:20

Call Maria at 809-571-2633, she`s the one in charge ( she`s the secretary of Herman Strauss ). She can open the synagogue for private visits, we do it for our Jewish clients.

Mazzeltov!

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I believe this is the same ship that tried to unload its Jewish passengers in Miami and wasn't allowed to do so, and that is how they came to this island.
No, not at all. There are two good books about the Dorsa, settlement
Zion in the Tropics
And the second I believe is.
Trujillo refugees.
Derfish the ship your referring to sail back to Germany and those jews were sent to camps.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
The American intelligence community prodded Trujillo into jailing anyone suspected of having Nazi ties. Even Jews like my grandfather, Bruno Philipp (for whom Calle Bruno Philipp is named). It's bad enough that the Mafia came to the DR after Castro kicked them out of Cuba in the 1950s. As for the accuracy of the article, all inclusive tourism came to Sosua in the late 1980s. Before that, it already was a first class tourism destination. The Dutch royal family came to Villas Coralillos often. (Now Sosua Bay Resort). My late uncle had a share in Productos Sosua. Guess Herman Strauss owes me a few million. Anyone know where to find him?

There is an excellent series of 5 videos produced four or five years ago by the Hidden Faith Project of Canada, which illustrates the past, present and future of the Jewish community in the Dominican Republic, including the Jews of Sosua.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST2YXypv634

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh4tyuVP97Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU3duQcBfpA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE63cJ8TeIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lCrqIZSgeQ