"The Interview" to be shown New Years Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradM

Sep 6, 2007
The controversial movie about the fictcious death of the North Korean leader, The Interview, will be shown New Years Day at 7:30pm at Rockys in Sos?a.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
The controversial movie about the fictcious death of the North Korean leader, The Interview, will be shown New Years Day at 7:30pm at Rockys in Sos?a.

Much a do about nothing. Hope you don't have to pay for it.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Maybe a bad movie, but kudos to Rick for making a statement about freedom of speech by showing it!

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004

Even if it is a bad movie, I certainly would not be advertiste its public screening, it very easily could be copyright infrigement, even where we are, if you do not the think local enforcment would not love to make a case against an expat, well u would be wrong!

just saying

g'luck

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Even if it is a bad movie, I certainly would not be advertiste its public screening, it very easily could be copyright infrigement, even where we are, if you do not the think local enforcment would not love to make a case against an expat, well u would be wrong!

just saying

g'luck

It's available online for $5.99 USD through Sony on YouTube. As long as there is no charge for sitting and watching it at Rocky's, I don't see a problem.

Aug 6, 2006

just saying

g'luck

What copyright would have been violated?

It may be the worst studio movie, the worst Hollywood movie, the worst movie that was shown in theaters, but the award for the absolute worst movie has a LOT of competition: Filipino Horror flicks, Bollywood song & dance films, Masked wrestler films, films with talking cats and dogs.

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007

just saying

g'luck

Tell that to the guy selling bootlegged movies every Saturday in Sosua for years now. I wanted to make a statement. That is all. I am not charging anyone to watch it. I am showing a film as if it was in my living room for my friends and family. Hell I even paid the $5.99 to watch it Christmas Eve as a salute to freedom of speech. If Sony wants another $5.99 because Rocky's is showing it I'll be happy to pay it.

Everyone is welcome to come by and see it. Remember, Sony only released the film to the US market so far. Unless you are tech savvy, you may have a hard time seeing it no matter how bad it may be. I am pretty sure North Korea won't be bombing Rocky's for showing it so come on out and see what the fuss is about.

Take care and hope to see you there,

Rick

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
"any coping or public performance of a copyrighted property even if not for monetary gain is prohibited and illegal"

Title 17, US Criminal Code, Section 601 and 605, although this quoote is from US federal Law, the FBI reach is far and Local
Domincan Copyright Laws, mostly mimic or are exactly as those of the US and or international.

It really does not matter what any of us thinks, but then if AlterEgo doesn't see a problem well thats that then is all good.

I mean I was just making a friendly notice.

g'luck

Harleyssuck

Jul 24, 2014
Wish I was there to watch with a couple of cervezas and some Rocky's ribs but I won't arrive in Sosua until Monday afternoon. Will be staying at one of Rick properties for two weeks ands can't wait. 30 cm of snow and minus 25 Celsius this coming weekend in the great white north EH.. See you Monday Rick. Please tell me it is not going to snow in Sosua next week lol.

Aug 6, 2006
I predict that there will be no problems with showing this film.

I don't see that it is necessary to watch this film to support free speech, but I think it is probably a technically well made film with some funny jokes and interesting special effects.

Hollywood can always be counted on to get the sound and the image right. I recall those old British films that had muddy, unintelligible soundtracks and looked like they were filmed in someone's dark basement.

The other day I clicked on a medieval Norwegian film that sounded interesting, but there was no way to get the soundtrack to show itself. This is was because there was none available. I had a similar problem with a Laotian film several months ago. It is pretty hard to figure out what is going on unless one understands Norwegian and Lao.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
You have got to be kidding right?! Do you know where we are??!! SMH

I know where the f i am, been fn here for 15 years...........

Rockys is now owned by a dominican national?

so, where we're at now gives license to partake in ilegal activity, well maybe, more license if your a dominican national and or an expat handing out bribes or tightly connected to at least semi-powerful or connected dominicans.

ignorance to the law does not make one innocent regardless where one is.

and not like I care what they do at rockys, they can have sex workers on and under every table I
was simply pointing out a fact that maybe somebody did not think about, if they do not care is
another story.

it was a friendly notice

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
"any coping or public performance of a copyrighted property even if not for monetary gain is prohibited and illegal"

Title 17, US Criminal Code, Section 601 and 605, although this quoote is from US federal Law, the FBI reach is far and Local
Domincan Copyright Laws, mostly mimic or are exactly as those of the US and or international.

It really does not matter what any of us thinks, but then if AlterEgo doesn't see a problem well thats that then is all good.

I mean I was just making a friendly notice.

g'luck

You sound like a mouthpiece for the US lobby, not friendly nor well intentioned!

G'day

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I know where the f i am, been fn here for 15 years...........

Rockys is now owned by a dominican national?

so, where we're at now gives license to partake in ilegal activity, well maybe, more license if your a dominican national and or an expat handing out bribes or tightly connected to at least semi-powerful or connected dominicans.

ignorance to the law does not make one innocent regardless where one is.

and not like I care what they do at rockys, they can have sex workers on and under every table I
was simply pointing out a fact that maybe somebody did not think about, if they do not care is
another story.

it was a friendly notice

Now you're just babbling!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What a crock of ****. This guy has to be a US trained puppet. He should stay there. The DR is NOT the US and never will be. And Rocky's is not owned by a Dominican.

There is a bigger chance of a hail storm in Sosua then anyone caring if they show this film or any other film.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
I made a simple factual friendly point, take it with less than a grain of salt for all I care, but why attack the messenger?

I have no axe, so nothing to grind and I have no agenda hidden or otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.