Hosting a site primarily used in DR?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
I currently use a dedicated server in Miami to host our sites, but I wanted to scale down a bit. I was reading about MS Azure, plus a few other alternatives, and the better data centers that I've seen are in Virginia.

Any recommendations on data centers/services is really appreciated. I currently use Microsoft technology: asp.net and SQL Server. Also, no hosting in DR; it needs to be in the continental US.

For those who have hosted business sites or medium-high volume sites in the continental US, have you seen any lagging based on the location?

Thanks.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
why not host it in DR ? 60 % uptime guaranteed !!!! and lot of excitement

DR for sure has some modern datacenters with highly qualified staff !

/sarcasm off

seriously: in theory you should host it on the east coast and so on, not california...but in reality if you have good host and if user uses something faster than claro mobile EDGE, there is no difference

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Your users are in the DR and the server is in US; is that correct? I would begin with taking measures with tracert over a 24 hr period to get a rough guage. Tracert to your server then tracery to a server at the data center. Then larger samples.

I think that once you are out of the data center you will find equal Mia and Virginia.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
If you want to scale down I'd go for a virtual server. Not a dedicated machine but neither a shared server. I can recommend a Dominican company that can handle it for you, there servers are in Dallas. No issues with lagging. Their data center is in Texas. (Dallas / Plano).

Let me know if you want the name of the company and I'll send you a PM.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I currently use a dedicated server in Miami to host our sites, but I wanted to scale down a bit. I was reading about MS Azure, plus a few other alternatives, and the better data centers that I've seen are in Virginia.

Any recommendations on data centers/services is really appreciated. I currently use Microsoft technology: asp.net and SQL Server. Also, no hosting in DR; it needs to be in the continental US.

For those who have hosted business sites or medium-high volume sites in the continental US, have you seen any lagging based on the location?

Thanks.

you've included no info in your post regarding bandwidth requirements, give some addys? what kind of sites?

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Be careful being too aggressive in cutting costs. You could end up with the cheapest network provider with no network redundancy and absolutely no DDoS protection. If your sites are intended to generate revenue, you cannot afford to end up on a digital island with no communications.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I personally like Amazon Web Services and their billing system is based on what you use.

It's a double edged sword though so definitely research if you want to use them.