Need scientific evidence

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Please only reply if you actually know something scientific behind this, not if you just 'heard' or 'think' you know it.

Are "Langostino" that you find in the DR just small baby lobster or is it a separate species from the normal Caribbean Spiny Lobster?

I know many other countries have 'langostino' (e.g. Chile) which I know are separate species, but I am talking about what you get served on the beach here in the DR.

Please back up any comments with evidence like their latin scientific name or something similar.

Thanks, a big bet is riding on this!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Fresh water shrimp=Dominican langostinos
International Dehydrated Foods: Chef Luiz's Blog | Dominican Republic

Hope you win the bet!

What they serve here in beach restaurants throughout the North Coast does not look like a fresh water species, it looks exactly like a Spiny Lobster except it has more dots, which baby Spiny Lobster have.

I thought they were baby Lobster but last time I saw one with eggs, and it seemed to be undersize to be a mature Lobster. Tail maybe 5 inches.

May 29, 2006
Small spiny lobster. Panulirus argus Look for the small forward pointing "cow horns" they have above the eyes. Legal fishing size in most countries is minimum 3.5" carapace length, which is thought to be the size they need to be to breed. They are only about the size of small crayfish when they first get to the adult stage, then just about double in size each time they molt until they get to market weight which is after about six years.

There is a slipper lobster that is smaller than spiny lobster, but it looks very different. There are sub species that have different coloration. Without seeing a photo, my bet is juvenile Panulirus argus.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
lobster-king-1024x941.jpg

Had to do it.

Lunch time. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Oh wait, we only have these in NY:

baked-stuffed-lobster-490.jpg

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
As this is DR I think I'd wager that they are fake, as is everything else. Scientific evidence? Would that not depend on where you eat?

I thought they were large crayfish, not small lobster anyway.

Aug 6, 2006
The clawless lobsters called langoustes are generally what are often called langostino in the DR and Mexico.

Check out the wikipedia articles on langostino, langoustes and lobsters. There are many subspecies of these critters.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Hard to tell from the photo, but the definitely look like small spiny lobsters to me.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The clawless lobsters called langoustes are generally what are often called langostino in the DR and Mexico.

Check out the wikipedia articles on langostino, langoustes and lobsters. There are many subspecies of these critters.

I looked there but its hard to get the right answer because they don't know what is in the DR commonly referred to as 'Langostino' IMO its just small Caribbean Spiny Lobster and thats what I am betting on.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Here is a scientific fact. They go great with a chardonnay or a pinot grigio

May 29, 2006
Not much left to see there.. I spent a semester studying spiny lobsters up in the Turks and Caicos. Spiny Lobsters are about 100 times more common than any other species throughout the Caribbean. Unless they are imported(which still somehow happens), I'm staying with small spiny. Those look almost market weight.

This should clear things up, sort of. Langostino is Spanish for small lobster, but langostino in English refers to several fresh water crabs.

Langostinos are in the Anomura infraorder, with and hermit and porcelain crabs, and in the Galatheidae family.

Anomurans are superficially crab-like. But unlike true crabs, which are part of the Brachyura infraorder, anomurans’ last pair of “walking” legs is reduced and hidden under the carapace, giving the impression of four pairs of walking legs instead of five.

Seafood FAQ: Langostino vs. Lobster: What's the difference? - SeafoodSource.com

Jul 28, 2014
Please only reply if you actually know something scientific behind this, not if you just 'heard' or 'think' you know it.

Are "Langostino" that you find in the DR just small baby lobster or is it a separate species from the normal Caribbean Spiny Lobster?

I know many other countries have 'langostino' (e.g. Chile) which I know are separate species, but I am talking about what you get served on the beach here in the DR.

Please back up any comments with evidence like their latin scientific name or something similar.

We would need a pic of exactly what is being sold. It's highly doubtful its langostino as they actually are a different breed from either shrimp or lobster.

Here is what the U.S. FDA lists:
The Seafood List

You can google the pics of the various species to cross reference...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

I thought langostino were cray fish and really lobster.