DR or PR?

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
If you guys can live in Puerto Rico rather than DR, would you and what are the reasons?

The wife has had it with the crime and is looking for another tropical paradise..

What are your thoughts?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have spent time in Puerto Rico and in my opinion crime seems to be a bit more in PR. Puerto Rico in my opinion is more of a NY or Miami. However there are areas of PR that are more laid back and less iffy.. But I do love PR..Old San Juan, etc...

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
If you guys can live in Puerto Rico rather than DR, would you and what are the reasons?

The wife has had it with the crime and is looking for another tropical paradise..

What are your thoughts?

Are those the only options? Puerto Rico is really small, can get through the whole island in one day, and also not as pretty. And I think the crime is more obvious or in your face. The DR fooled me for some time, but my first trip to PR I was not impressed and definitely could see getting Island fever. What about Florida if you want the nice weather? I do think the girls are prettier in Puerto Rico, but not sure if that is a big one with your wife.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Costa Rica or Colombia.

Both are beautiful, offer diverse climates and cultures, and cost about as much as DR. Costa Rica is notoriously safe, and Colombia is fine so long as you don't go into ever-decreasing FARC areas. You'll need more Spanish in Colombia, but the cities are far more cosmopolitan. San Jose is the only truly big city in Costa Rica, and it's just meh.

Good luck.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Check the numbers. Crime is worse in P.R. There is always a lot of hype about the crime in the D.R. but there is crime everywhere. Yea, it has gotten worse here especially violent crime but that could be said for a lot of countries and a lot don't have all the upsides that exist here........have you ever shoveled snow??????

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Check the numbers. Crime is worse in P.R. There is always a lot of hype about the crime in the D.R. but there is crime everywhere. Yea, it has gotten worse here especially violent crime but that could be said for a lot of countries and a lot don't have all the upsides that exist here........have you ever shoveled snow??????[/QUOTE

How much crime in DR do you think go unreported??? Crime is not a synonym for the word murder. Statutory rape, drunk driving, home invasions, MUGGINGS, money laundering, auto theft, counterfeiting, discrimination, pimping etc. All run WILD in DR.

There are a lot of things you can get away with in DR you could NEVER get away with in PR.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011

What are your thoughts?

I do not know if you are American or not, but if you are EVERYTHING is a lot easier to obtain in PR compared to DR. You know all that SH*T "you have to know a Dominican" to get things done GO AWAY if you choose PR. Depending on what part of PR you choose knowing Spanish will help but it is not a life or death.

I would stay away from living in San Juan because the TRAFFIC will kill you more so then the crime. Look into Ponce very nice town southwest of San Juan. Rent will be cheaper and the vibe is more easy going. If you choose Ponce tell me what you think of the route on 52 from San Juan to Ponce STUNNING!!!!!!

BTW Three things you need to live in PR: MONEY, CAR and HAPPINESS. If you are a "STICK IN THE MUD" PR is not the place.

May 29, 2006
I wouldn't consider the main island of PR, but Vieques looks interesting to me. Tourist economy with lots of ex-mainlanders who speak English. Real Estate is expensive for small houses/lots.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I wouldn't consider the main island of PR, but Vieques looks interesting to me. Tourist economy with lots of ex-mainlanders who speak English. Real Estate is expensive for small houses/lots.

GOOGLE the murder rate for Vieques, and come back to me son!

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
PR by a long shot. Having worked there many times over the past 16 years or so, the differences are vast. Things where everyday life is concerned, are more structured than DR. And, if you get away from the San Juan/Carolina area, I will venture to say that incidents of crime are drastically reduced.
On my last visit, I stayed in Loiza for a month. People were cautioning me about how dangerous it was. I never felt the need to constantly look over my shoulder, and had a great time. Vendor hopping in Pinones was an awesome past time.
Purchased a TV from radio shack. Returned it for a refund upon my departure, no questions asked. I suspect that would have been a bit more difficult in the DR.
On one of my visits, I had a gf who lived in Santurce. Now, THAT place had my head on a swivel.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011

What are your thoughts?

You picked a good time to open this thread. SanSe is coming up and you should check it out. You will get a nice vibe about the island during the event. I wanted to go and planned to go but certain things came up.

You and your wife should go. Look up "San Sebastian 2015" I used to go with two of my uncles all the time.

I think PR would be a nice change and if it doesn't work out you can always go back to DR.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
Costa Rica or Colombia.

Both are beautiful, offer diverse climates and cultures, and cost about as much as DR.

Costa Rica cost the same as DR ? since when ? maybe if you are on 3 K dollars budget/ month, then it's "the same".

but if you are on budget and want to spend much less, DR is best choice in Carribean....

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
DR all day long crime rate is lower and so is cost of living. Don't shoot the messenger.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/09/us/economy-and-crime-spur-new-puerto-rican-exodus.html?_r=0

Cost Of Living Comparison Between Puerto Rico And Dominican Republic

Indices Difference

Info

Consumer Prices in Dominican Republic are 23.77% lower than in Puerto Rico
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Dominican Republic are 26.27% lower than in Puerto Rico
Rent Prices in Dominican Republic are 36.19% lower than in Puerto Rico
Restaurant Prices in Dominican Republic are 30.50% lower than in Puerto Rico
Groceries Prices in Dominican Republic are 28.12% lower than in Puerto Rico
Local Purchasing Power in Dominican Republic is 69.47% lower than in Puerto Rico

Last edited:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Hell must be frozen! Never thought I would agree with Chip but he is right on this one point. PR is more violent crime, really crowded and expensive. Other than that its fine. Look at Equador. Its the best deal around.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have visited PR twice and I don't even think it is a great place to visit. I am a US citizen and I prefer the DR.