Car Rental

Dec 24, 2012
Hey everyone,

I've spent the past 48 hours making calls, browsing internet, checking rates at large chain rentals and have come up empty on quality and reliability. I know it's hard to come across any of these alone and together is probably impossible on this island... currently my best bet is at the SDQ airport for $40 USD a day without insurance (my USA credit card offers collision coverage). There's a local guy that has a 2009 Hyundai for $2300 a day and that's only with "collision" coverage... no theft insurance, no liability insurance, nothing but his word... is there any place to rent that has reliable cars at a good rate... $1000 to 1500 pesos per day? Or am I thinking in a fantasy land over here lol

I'm near San Cristobal and can travel to the capital if the deal is good enough... any help is appreciated. Thanks all!

~JER

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks, Harley. I want to use full coverage insurance but not a fan of paying the equivalent of $60USD per day. You remember the prices you paid for at Europcar? Is that only in SD?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As a foreigner, if you are involved in a serious accident, you will likely be held in jail for a period of time while the courts sort things out. If you are going to drive here on a foreign license and or you do not have residency, you need local insurance that includes coverage to post your "bail" and get you out of custody.

Keep in mind, in the event of legal difficulties, your passport will be held and you won't be going anywhere until the matter is completely resolved. Still want to drive?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Your CC insurance, your home car insurance are both USELESS here. You will need full insurance here (many place require you purchase this) and that will many times nearly double the rental rate you are being quoted.

Also make sure the insurance includes "casa de conductore". This allows you to cool you heals in a hotel in Santiago or Santo Domingo (not a 4* by any stretch) rather than in a Dominican jail while they figure out how the accident was your fault and how much it is going to cost you.

Driving here for first time visitors may not be the best of ideas

Bob K

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Hey everyone,

I've spent the past 48 hours making calls, browsing internet, checking rates at large chain rentals and have come up empty on quality and reliability. I know it's hard to come across any of these alone and together is probably impossible on this island... currently my best bet is at the SDQ airport for $40 USD a day without insurance (my USA credit card offers collision coverage). There's a local guy that has a 2009 Hyundai for $2300 a day and that's only with "collision" coverage... no theft insurance, no liability insurance, nothing but his word... is there any place to rent that has reliable cars at a good rate... $1000 to 1500 pesos per day? Or am I thinking in a fantasy land over here lol

I'm near San Cristobal and can travel to the capital if the deal is good enough... any help is appreciated. Thanks all!

~JER

BK offered really good advice about insurance not being any good here. I highly suggest you call your credit card company and find out exactly what the will cover here and what additional insurance you will need to purchase. One last thing, if you have never driven in the DR, I'd highly suggest using a taxi to see what you will be getting.yourself in for before deciding to rent a car. If you do rent, take photos of any and all damage on the vehicle with the agent present before taking the car from the lot.

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks for the heads up everyone. After years of coming here I'm aware of the crazy drivers and the high accident rates here. I would use taxi but it's 1600 pesos for roundtrip to the beach, 700 roundtrip to the local sirena and expensive just to go about anywhere. Rates of hiked since last year. I realize I should not rent from the local guy and a rental chain or reputable place is the better option for full coverage. The thing is where can I get full coverage and a reliable car for $2200 pesos a day?

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Your timing is the thing JesusCR, all of the companies are very busy this time of year. Go with the best deal on the internet, take the full insurance and be careful. Don't drive at night and don't get into an accident.

bellakins

May 31, 2008
I have used Easy Rider in Cabarete on many occasions. The owner Joseph (Jose) is very good and fair. The insurance is included only $500 deductible, which I had to pay last year when our rental was totaled as the result of a crazy, unlicensed Dominican
driver passing on a blind curve. A bad experience with injuries that could have been much worse. The cars are ordinary, but
functional. Look him up online for the phone number. Sometimes, they will pick you up at the airport and maybe elsewhere.

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Go with a big player like Avis with full insurance. They will bring you a replacent car anywhere on the island. Stay away from small private companies and especially from private offers. Go cheap only if you can afford.

Alexander

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Thanks for the heads up everyone. After years of coming here I'm aware of the crazy drivers and the high accident rates here. I would use taxi but it's 1600 pesos for roundtrip to the beach, 700 roundtrip to the local sirena and expensive just to go about anywhere. Rates of hiked since last year. I realize I should not rent from the local guy and a rental chain or reputable place is the better option for full coverage. The thing is where can I get full coverage and a reliable car for $2200 pesos a day?

I suggest that you check with your credit card company regarding what is and isn't covered. I ran 2 car rental companies when I first came over and I can tell you that we collected against many of them so the advice given that NONE are good is not accurate but I used to tell my managers and reps to let the customer use our phone at the counter to call and check because not all do cover you. Be aware also that if you rent in the airports there is a 10% charge which won't exist at the local offices HOWEVER sometimes because of the travel aggregators i.e. travelocity prices are more than 10% cheaper at the airport because the compaines are all lined up and the competition is great. Most of the companies at the airport (based on season vs non season) will negotiate on pricing. Book the cheapest that you can and then pass by some of the others.
Be sure to check the car completely before leaving the lot. Understand that most companies collision damage waivers do NOT include windshields and tires, check the windshields for stars and the tires for bubbles which if you don't catch it up front they will charge you for upon return.

Jan 2, 2015
Your CC insurance, your home car insurance are both USELESS here. You will need full insurance here (many place require you purchase this) and that will many times nearly double the rental rate you are being quoted.

Also make sure the insurance includes "casa de conductore". This allows you to cool you heals in a hotel in Santiago or Santo Domingo (not a 4* by any stretch) rather than in a Dominican jail while they figure out how the accident was your fault and how much it is going to cost you.

Driving here for first time visitors may not be the best of ideas

Bob K

I have been to the DR over a dozen time an prob rented through all the companies that offer that service there. I have never paid for insurance but used my American Express. I have never had an accident, but did have several scraps and a cracked windshield all of which was paid for by American Express without any hassle what so ever. I have noticed that even if you did have a serious accident as long as no one is injured the other driver would prob just take off.

Thanks, Harley. I want to use full coverage insurance but not a fan of paying the equivalent of $60USD per day. You remember the prices you paid for at Europcar? Is that only in SD?

Hey Jesu, I don't remember the prices but know they were pretty decent as I shopped around at the time. I used Europcar in the NC, don't know about them in SD, assuming they would be there as well.
I used Nelly in SD though.

Good luck and let us know what your CC dude says!

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I had a car rented from avis and when I got to the airport to pick up...they refused to accept my credit card insurance and forced me to buy their insurance ...when I returned to u.s...I complained to avis and they said I should bring a letter from my credit card company stating they will cover the cdw....other than that they will decline this insurance

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Let me clarify the credit card thing. If you have an accident, damages and most importantly, any injuries to other parties, may be demanded in Cash on the spot. Your credit card back home may reimburse you when you get home but will not help one bit when you are at the clinic and they demand cash or when the local Rental Company wants money on the spot for damages.
In the case of the major rental companies, you will need a Police report and they will normally put a hold on or charge your credit card for the car damages. But any injuries you Will pay cash on the spot or go with Police.
This is why you rent with the major brand names. When you get home you can sort most of it out with the credit card company, subject to deductibles, normally $500. But none of this helps while here in front of the police or victims or the local rental company. And as the gringo you Are at fault.
I've had multiple accidents and only rented 200 or so times over the years but this is how it works. And if you Don't speak Spanish, it gets even worse.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
One more tip, be sure to check with your credit card company on how long a stay would be covered for collision. Some will not cover over 15 days some 30 days. We know of someone who did not know this and totaled the rental on the 16th day! Guess who paid?

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
so would most of you consider it foolish to avail of the insurance from the credit card company and think it is wiser to purchase the insurance from the car hire companys?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
so would most of you consider it foolish to avail of the insurance from the credit card company and think it is wiser to purchase the insurance from the car hire companys?

If you don't mind paying $20 to 25 per day coming to a yearly fee for these thieves at about $8,000 per year they collect from the suckers that pay, then by all means take it.

All the doom and gloom here is a little over the top. Anyone on this board ever been in jail for a traffic accident? Lets hear from someone that was.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I had a car rented from avis and when I got to the airport to pick up...they refused to accept my credit card insurance and forced me to buy their insurance ...when I returned to u.s...I complained to avis and they said I should bring a letter from my credit card company stating they will cover the cdw....other than that they will decline this insurance

The counter agents are incentivized to sell the coverages and up-sell you. If you are know for sure that your cc covers you ask to speak to a manager and go up the ladder until you get the right person (it isn't unusal for an agent to present another agent as the manager to reenforce what they have told you).

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
OK, so at post 15 I gave you the advice. I've done the accidents and crap, what doesn't make sense to you? You pay, period!
Are you telling a tourist or newbie to ignore the dangers of an accident? If so, call them suckers, and they'll call you bad advice. I've been to the clinic with the Police, have you?

If you don't mind paying $20 to 25 per day coming to a yearly fee for these thieves at about $8,000 per year they collect from the suckers that pay, then by all means take it.

All the doom and gloom here is a little over the top. Anyone on this board ever been in jail for a traffic accident? Lets hear from someone that was.