Helo to you all , just saying hello :)

little_turtle

Jan 3, 2015
Hello to all , we are a couple from Romania which decided to relocate in DR . After all the reading and such we
think to go to Sosua , as first destination. We intend first to go for 1 or 2 weeks now in february or march and
see how it is like exactly . We plan to sell everything here in Romania and then move for good to DR . My husband
is mechanical engineering and one of the best for Mercedes and Bmw here in Romania so hopefully he ll find
something to do there - we thought maybe to open a small repair auto shop - does anyone know if this is a good idea ?
Or if the market could need one or too many already ? I have an online shop here and I also do nails as beeing a
certified nail technician so maybe I could do that over there as well . Any ideas about that either ? Is this something someone can do over there ?
Hope I explained right and hope to hear some ideas about what I asked , nice to meet you all and greeting from Romania for now - hopefully from DR soon :)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Not many Dominicans speak Romanian so finding a place to live for the first year or so, where there is lots of English is your best bet until your Spanish speaking abilities improve. Sosua is a good choice for this, lots of spoken English. It's comforting to have new friends and neighbours that share you culture. See if you can find where other Romanians have moved to.

Lots of places do nails and hair, its seems to be a Dominican woman's primary preoccupation. Good mechanics are always welcome. Specializing in Mercedes & BMW is a plus, but the ability to service other foreigners vehicles will ensure that there is enough work for your husband to be as busy as he wants to be.

Enjoy your trip. Hope you find what you are looking for.

little_turtle

Jan 3, 2015
Hello and thank you for your words - indeed that s why we thought about Sosua in the first place :) - we intend to stay first one year or so and just learn the language and see what we could do there . He can fix almost any car , no problem so good to know a good mechanic can find a place . As far as I v found so far only one or 2 romanians are in Sosua - possible to be more but that s all I v found , but both me and my husband speak english so for first month I don t think it will be a big problem - especially since both understand very well spanish - just don t speak it yet . Thank you again for your words , turtle from Romania still :)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello to all , we are a couple from Romania which decided to relocate in DR . After all the reading and such we
think to go to Sosua , as first destination. We intend first to go for 1 or 2 weeks now in february or march and
see how it is like exactly . We plan to sell everything here in Romania and then move for good to DR . My husband
is mechanical engineering and one of the best for Mercedes and Bmw here in Romania so hopefully he ll find
something to do there - we thought maybe to open a small repair auto shop - does anyone know if this is a good idea ?
Or if the market could need one or too many already ? I have an online shop here and I also do nails as beeing a
certified nail technician so maybe I could do that over there as well . Any ideas about that either ? Is this something someone can do over there ?
Hope I explained right and hope to hear some ideas about what I asked , nice to meet you all and greeting from Romania for now - hopefully from DR soon :)

Before you can start a business in the DR you need to apply for temporary residency. This process starts in your home country. You will need copies of your birth certificates, marriage license, passports and also a police report and fingerprints. These need to be translated into Spanish and apostilized, which is an official international stamp recognized by the DR gov. Once you have decided to remain in the DR permanently you will need to get a lawyer and have him file these papers with the right departments. You will also need to have a urine and blood test and a chest x ray. These are done upon filing the documents. This will cost you about $1200usd each. Yes it is expensive but if you want to live here permanently you will have to do this sooner than later. Do you speak other European languages, such as, German, Italian or French? There are quite a few residents from these countries on the North and Northeast Coast. If you have the chance while you visit Sosua rent a car for a day or two and drive to the Samana Peninsula and Las Terrenas. It is about 2.5 hour ride on good highways. The scenery is beautiful and you will get an idea of what is out there. A small vehicle repair shop would probably work but remember you won't be charging European prices. Good luck with your travels.

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
Here in Puerto Plata there is a large (by Dominican Standards) garage vacant. They used to employ 8 or more mechanics and a pair of girls in the office. The owner is interested in renting it, but wouldn't reveal over the phone his price. PM me and I'll give more details if interested.
But be aware that my mechanic charges 1000 pesos fpr a full day's work, which is less than $25.00 We just did a brake job yesterday with high end pads for the front wheels and it came to 1700 pesos including everything. No get rich quick scheme here.
Der Fish

Almost sounds like fishing for a commission, no pun intended.

little_turtle

Jan 3, 2015
Hi there - I ll try to be more specific this tie in explaining :) - so , we are not coming there without money and also we are not coming there thinking we are gonna get rich - we just wanna live a simple normal life in warm weather . Not planning to get rich or anything , just to be able to support ourselves and maybe a child in the future if it will come. We thought that one year living there in the first place will give us a good idea if we wanna really live there for all the rest of our lives or not . If not , let s say we are fortunate enough to be single childs in our families - both me and my husband - and we will have plenty for us waiting in Romania if we decide to go back r don t like it there .We don t intendto start working or anything in the first year , just see how life really is and also learn spanish - my husband also speaks italian besides english and I speak french so maybe language won t be a huge problem while there I think. Anyway , in few words that s the pan - first come a week - 10 days to see exactly how it is like , we wanna find something to rent for this tim e, not coming thru all inclusive or such , just by ourselfs and if all good then we wanna come back bring both our cars - which was gonna be the question I wanted to as you guys - what things we will have to do in order to bring our cars there if you know ofc - and yes , we wanna apply for temporary residence - I simply forgot to mention that part in other posts but we don t intend to stay ilegally or such. Anyway , that s our plan , hopefully it will work out :)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
When you get here, post a message and a bunch of us can get together, have a drink and answer some of the many questions you will think of after your arrival.

Just remember, to stay and work in the DR you are expected to apply for residency. This process starts at the DR embassy closest to where you currently live. Contact the embassy to see what you need to do. This process can take a long time so it should be at the top of your preparation list.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
to come for just 10 days to then decide to stay and come back right away with the cars etc etc, thats much too short of a time for such decision. how often/long have you been here in the DR before and where did you stay on those visits?

Mike

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi there - I ll try to be more specific this tie in explaining :) - so , we are not coming there without money and also we are not coming there thinking we are gonna get rich - we just wanna live a simple normal life in warm weather . Not planning to get rich or anything , just to be able to support ourselves and maybe a child in the future if it will come. We thought that one year living there in the first place will give us a good idea if we wanna really live there for all the rest of our lives or not . If not , let s say we are fortunate enough to be single childs in our families - both me and my husband - and we will have plenty for us waiting in Romania if we decide to go back r don t like it there .We don t intendto start working or anything in the first year , just see how life really is and also learn spanish - my husband also speaks italian besides english and I speak french so maybe language won t be a huge problem while there I think. Anyway , in few words that s the pan - first come a week - 10 days to see exactly how it is like , we wanna find something to rent for this tim e, not coming thru all inclusive or such , just by ourselfs and if all good then we wanna come back bring both our cars - which was gonna be the question I wanted to as you guys - what things we will have to do in order to bring our cars there if you know ofc - and yes , we wanna apply for temporary residence - I simply forgot to mention that part in other posts but we don t intend to stay ilegally or such. Anyway , that s our plan , hopefully it will work out :)

You may want to consider going to Las Terrenas to check out the DR. There is a large European population there with many French, Italian and German residents. Your language skills sound like this would be a good fit for you. Check out the guide to the Samana Peninsula at the top of the Northeast thread. You can bring you car if it is 5 years old or less otherwise you can't bring it into the country. It will probably be expensive shipping it from Europe and then paying duty on it in the DR. You might want to consider buying a vehicle in the DR. You can fly into AZS which is Samana/El Catey airport. You are then 30 minutes from Las Terrenas. Good luck.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Lots of helpful information on this forum. Welcome to Wonderland little_turtle.

Sosua is a nice place to visit. I lived there for a few years. As you may or may not know, Sosua is one of the most popular destinations in the Caribbean for sex tourism. Some people such as myself are not bothered by it, others find it disturbing.

Las Terrenas and Cabrera on the north coast are just as beautiful as Sousa. Both have beautiful scenery and lots of Europeans running about. You should rent a car while staying in Sosua and check them out.

Tzip

Dec 31, 2014
Welcome ,, hope to meet up with you two,, sound like nice adventurous couple :) I've been to Cabrera ,it was very nice.

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
I read here every once in a while an accusation that someone's advice is given in hopes of a commission. That says a lot more about the accuser than the one offering advice.

Derfish, thank you, coming from you that is a compliment! Matt, sorry, replied to wrong post. See above.