shipping container to europe

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
i am about to ship a container of used furniture to Europe; i am not sure if i can take my Mahogany furniture with me too???
Will i have problems with customs because they might be protected wood??
I asked customs, they said they are not sure i should write an other department...this one said they need a correct description etc... to be able to reply. What further description i can give than, that the furniture are mine and used since years and done with Mahogany. the shipping company said that they don't think that it might be a problem because these are used own furniture. Does someone have experience with it?

Just to prevent some peoples opinions that i should them here etc... i like to take these because i designed them myself and i really like them.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
More importantly than the type of wood, is whether European Agriculture inspectors will be able to determine if any of your wood furniture is infested with Dominican bugs. Prepare to have your container fumigated. If they find bugs, say goodbye to everything made of wood.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Yes, me. I didn't lose my wooden furniture as I was coming from Canada and the biggest problem at the time would have been earwigs. I did have to pay to have my container fumigated as a precaution before the inspection so any beasties would have a chance to crawl out of the wood and die on the floor where they could be easily seen.

I don't have a specific website to point you to but many countries ban the importation of untreated wood and wood products outright. To get around this some countries offer an exemption if the wood is completely covered in a thick coating of lacquer or other durable sealant of some sort. Merely staining the wood is not usually sufficient.

See if you can find the import relations that pertain to the importation of personal effects (usually linked to from the immigration web pages) for the EU or send an email to the customs people and the agriculture department as it is usually the latter that sets the regs for products that may contain foreign lifeforms.

Rgds.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
You said that you're shipping to Europe. But to what country are you referring. Maybe if you are more specific about the destination someone here can be of more assistance. Each country has their own laws regarding imports. Lots of Europeans here Ibet someone can help you. Good luck.........

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Ask

It is common to fumigate containers that have wood content, usually the packing material, crates, and pallets. Some countries require it to prevent foreign pests from entering their country. It is best to ask the company handling your move. They will arrange the movement and documentation. Different countries have different requirements. Ask, ask, ask, ask.

Regards,

PJT

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
santa110xyz ,

It would be useful to know which company you are thinking of using, and what the route will be. some containers go through US for Europe.

Olly and the Team

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
santa110xyz ,

It would be useful to know which company you are thinking of using, and what the route will be. some containers go through US for Europe.

Olly and the Team

I thought to use Hapag Loyd.
the destination harbor Antwerp.
I asked the people of Hapag Loyd in SD, their answer about Mahogany furniture is :They don't think it will be a problem. But can not say. The customs said: i need to contact Agriculture department because they don't know. And the agriculture department said they would need more details....What more details i can give? These are old furniture made with Mahogany, they are painted with Lacquer, i do not import raw wood. Actually it seams nobody actually knows from the departments i asked.
Then i started to search on the internet but wasn't able to find any page which could bring some light in this issue.
It is really only personal goods and furniture. Nothing for business or resell!

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
CDN-Gringo, to which country/Harbor did you send your container? Then i would know which one to avoid :)

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i dont think used personally owned mahogany (antique)???will be a problem only if you own an important piece of furniture worth alot of money...

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
nothing antique. Just i have these since 15 years and i designed them. They look really nice and exceptional pieces.
You know you get attached to some things in life, because they are a chapter in your life :)
The other problem would be how to get everything to Santo Domingo?

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
I tried to send a motorcycle from Panama a few years ago to Europe and was told that the crate it was to be shipped in had to be fumigated. Never did it though.

well i send a car once from SD and all went totally smooth. no fumigation, no hassle, no customs fee,