Megaport affect on Boca Chica skyline *PIC*

J

Jim Hinsch

The megaport has an affect on the skyline of Boca Chica. How disruptive is a matter of opinion, but I took the below photos last week so people can see for themselves. They say that when complete, it will be painted to appear less obtrusive.

megaport.jpg

megaport_on_skyline.jpg

megaport2_low.jpg

megaport_in_relation_to_pier.jpg

Note that from about 30% of the beach, the megaport cannot be seen at all because the view is blocked by the island La Matica:

boca_chica_islands.jpg

P

PJT

Re: Megaport affect on Boca Chica skyline

Let's just hope they can camoflage the tank to make it look like the world's largest beach umbrella. Any tips as to what may be painted under its sombra. Regards PJT

L

Lesley

FYI, this is not part of the Megaport project but part of the new AES power plant project to supply electricity. It is quite a sight. My husband works there. Will pass on your comments.

J

Jim Hinsch

Really? I have a friend that says he caters about 200 meals a day there and he said it was part of the megaport. I was told the smaller flat tank to the right side is the new gas electric plant and that the large rounded thing on the left is actually a multi-story building, part of the megaport project. Why would the electric plant be building piers out in the water?

D

DR1

I also heard it was an AES project...

Actually I had Thanks Giving dinner with the Australian guy that is overseeing the construction.

Rob.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: I also heard it was an AES project...

It could be. But there are two areas of construction on the skyline. The smaller one to the left (cylinder shaped building or tank) was supposedly the gas-electric plant, and the larger one to the left, the megaport. I don't know if they are part of the same project, or separate.

Darren (Portofino) says he is doing their catering. My info is all hear-say.

Does anybody else know what that big "tank" like thing is to the left? A Building? A Tank? AES? Megaport? What are all the piers for?

L

Lesley

Re: I also heard it was an AES project...

The large tank is part of the AES power plant and will be used to store LNG (liquid natural gas) which will be brought in on tankers. They need to bring in gas to run the power plant as this island has few natural resources. I've been told they're going to paint it a light blue.

L

Lesley

Re: And the cylindrical tank?

Some of the other tanks are for secondary (backup) fuel sources and some tanks are for water storage. The second largest tank on the southwest corner of the property is for oil which is a secondary fuel. Are people in Boca Chica unhappy with the project because of it's affect on the view or are they happy to have more electricity? This will be the most efficient plant with the lowest air emissions in the DR. I think it'll have a positive impact here, but then I'm biased.