money....the next big question

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
the peso where does it go..?.......in the 40's now...was in the 20's ... and i remember 4 x 1....thats ten times the amount in 30 yrs...with most of the change in the last 15. years
a good investment strat.... put dollars in dom banks...
u.s. aint paying much... in the 70's a cd was a good thing....(now its a movie)
mexican peso.....down a 1000% in 40years imagine how much money you would have if you had a us dollar contract at 12%...(rich ) if you had 5kus in dollar contracts..from 1965...
jamaica...90x1 jam dollar aint worth the paper its printed on... us buck still payin solid 9%...

i believe that the dp. will go to 80+ and your dollar deposits will grow ...normal interest yearly...plus the benefit of having money local...and then when you need money it is worth more in dp$ than when you put it in...
read slowly.... get dollar contracts...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
"read slowly.... get dollar contracts..."
Perhaps, spend slowly.... read all contracts....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Chic - Where are you getting significant interest in a US dollar account in the DR?

My Answer - nowhere. What is yours?

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
The investment arm of BHD will give you 8.5% on a deposit of $110K USD...but there were a lot of hoops to jump through and they want you to sign a power of attorney over to them. I didn't like the pitch or the details.

Jan 9, 2004
The investment arm of BHD will give you 8.5% on a deposit of $110K USD...but there were a lot of hoops to jump through and they want you to sign a power of attorney over to them. I didn't like the pitch or the details.

Only keep what you could afford to lose....in a Dominican bank.

While I have heard the DR offers some form of insurance protection for accounts...I do not know if that is accurate or up to what amount is insured.

If so, it begs the question....Is the government providing the insurance? The same government that cannot, or will not, pay the power generators?

Keep your serious money elsewhere and pay the wiring or transfer fees as needed. It is cheap insurance against a Black Swan event.

Respectfully,
Playacaeribe2

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Caribe Express are offering pesos 44.70 per dollar today, up from 44.10 yesterday !!!!!!

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
going up as we speak...when the d.p. hit 50 no one would change any...changed at 48 but not 50 and then it went down...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Chic - Where are you getting significant interest in a US dollar account in the DR?

My Answer - nowhere. What is yours?

same as you...but i have a dollar acct and peso acct just to have in case etc.. and i like scotia bank but will like to hear what others have to say about them...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
mark my words....75 p.d. by the year 2017 that more than a 50%gain...and the other way a loss
and the prices will go up a little

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
chic:

I have no problem with money other than lack of....

Dop can go to 50 to 1, better for us ....

You really think that it is better? With inflation comes higher prices . With higher prices your household employees can't afford the basics that they already struggle to obtain. Then unrest and perhaps another banana gets elected President. Remember Papi? Yes those of us with US $ income see a slight gain for a short term but instabilityof the peso is bad. It is why interest rates are so high and banks here don't loan money. No loans hurt the emerging middle class here.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
prices are high already...and gas is down...
really....mexico had suffered thru inflation for 40 yrs..........argentina same....inflation was so bad that your maid rates changed daily and she would spend all her money to buy stuff before the price change...
jamaica the same.....d.r. is just a larger place not run well and there will come a time to pay...that is inflation...(i think)