Dominican Republic Won't Recognize Gay Marriage Performed At UK Embassy

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) ? The Dominican Republic says it will not recognize a same-sex marriage performed for the first time in the conservative Caribbean country.

In a Thursday statement, Foreign Ministry spokesman Miguel Medina said "our legislation does not recognize this type of marriage."

The statement comes two days after the British embassy tweeted that a Dominican man and his British partner had exchanged vows in its Santo Domingo offices.

The U.K. announced in June that same-sex couples could marry at British consulates in 25 countries. The Dominican Republic is the only Caribbean nation on that list. Embassy officials say more same-sex ceremonies will be performed in the future.

The chairman of the Dominican Council of Evangelical Churches said the embassy ceremony "brings a curse to the nation."

Dominican Republic Won't Recognize Gay Marriage Performed At UK Embassy

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
Because the consulate is seen a British soil there is nothing they can do to stop it. However it will be seen to some that the British are forcing some kind of agenda.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
An agenda of equality, perhaps?

Gay people should be able to suffer through a divorce just like I did.

Last edited:

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
An agenda of equality, perhaps?

Gay people should be able to suffer through a divorce just like I did.

We will see it as equality. Others will see it as against "Traditional" family values. On that I agree. spread the wealth of suffering.......LOL.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Some Conflicting information

Santo Domingo.- The first same sex marriage performed by a British consulate in the Caribbean was made official in Dominican Republic Tuesday, the British Embassy itself announced it at 3:02pm via Twitter @ukindomrep.

“(It’s) the first same-sex wedding inukindomrep (UK consulate in the country) and the Caribbean between a Brit and a Dominican,” the Consulate tweeted on the wedding which isn’t recognized by Dominican law.

At 10:17am the UK also tweeted its Foreign Ministry’s thanks to the Dominican Republic for approving the British consulate’s undertaking in same-sex nuptials. The wedding, detailed in another tweet, “will have complete legitimacy under the law.”

Source: DT

Maybe the above was wishful thinking regarding the complete legitimacy under the law?

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Outside of alienating the Dominican people and their government I'm not sure what this vacuous publicity stunt was designed to achieve.

Was Wally the bridesmaid?

I'm not British but is this really what embassies were designed for.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
Outside of alienating the Dominican people and their government I'm not sure what this vacuous publicity stunt was designed to achieve.

Embassies duties are to support their countrymen on foreign soil. We are in a changing world.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I have no vested intrest in the issue, I don't want a same sex marriage myself, nor do I think the world will be dammed if same sex people marry.
I am happy it wasn't done in an American Embassy, and for once my nation isn't pushing it's agenda, especially with the our openly gay Embassitor and the past issues with his appointment.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

Well say u were British, and say u were gay, and say ure one and only love was dominican......... then u might want him to be able to visit ure home country.
That said it might have been better if they wed back in britain.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Well say u were British, and say u were gay, and say ure one and only love was dominican......... then u might want him to be able to visit ure home country.
That said it might have been better if they wed back in britain.

Is it too late to buy the book and movie rights?

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I have no vested intrest in the issue, I don't want a same sex marriage myself, nor do I think the world will be dammed if same sex people marry.
I am happy it wasn't done in an American Embassy, and for once my nation isn't pushing it's agenda, especially with the our openly gay Embassitor and the past issues with his appointment.

It seems that "openly" bothers you but I think it is "gay". Because if he was openly heterosexual you would be OK with that. Am I right?

Gee if those gays and blacks would just know their place and stay there.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
I will say it. I don't like the gay lifestyle. However I will defend anyone's right to live in the manner they see fit. Their marriage personally hurts no one.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
So, if there is a gay marriage between a Brit and a Dominican on Brit soil [the Embassy], does the married Dominican spouse now have rights to a visa as spouse to a British citizen?

NYerinDR

Jan 9, 2004
Gay marriage is legal in English. The Embassy is consider a part of the land of England. If the Embassy performed the marriage, the couple is legally married in England. Who care if the Dominican government recognize this marriage or not!!

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
So, if there is a gay marriage between a Brit and a Dominican on Brit soil [the Embassy], does the married Dominican spouse now have rights to a visa as spouse to a British citizen?

They will get a spousal visa.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
so to get a visa for a gay "spouse" one has to first get them to the US and then marry them in the US then apply for a visa

I think MA that at this point a gay US citizen can apply for a fianc?e visa for their Dominican partner as any straight couple can. If granted, they could travel to the US to be married.

Status
Not open for further replies.