question about staying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toni69

Jan 6, 2015
Hi guys,
I am new to the forum and I wanted an opinion from you guys. 20 years ago I was on holiday in the DR and on our last day the cops cought us with 1 joint, yes only 1 joint. They took us to jail for the night (4 of us), scared us to death, we were 21 year old teenagers, and demande 4000 U$ in order to let us go. Otherwise it'll be about 3 years prison. That's what they told us. We were scared to death, borrowed the money and payed. After that they let us go, just 3 hours before our flight back home.
I haven't been there ever since. Now my question, I would like to go again and spend some time there, something like a year or so. I would like to know if you guys think I will encounter problems due to what happened 20 years ago. I personally doubt it, but just wanted to make sure. In my opinion the whole thing never even made it in the system. Looks to me as a complete rip off from the cops.
I would appreaciate your opinions on this?

Thanks so much
Barry

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You're probably right, that money most likely was split up by the cops.

Did they take your passports, or did you appear in front of a judge in court or anything?

Toni69

Jan 6, 2015
Hi there,
Thanks for the quick reply. No judge at all. Only 1 night in jail, that's it. Don't remember about the passports. Maybe they did, but got them back imediately, since we took our flight home the day after.
Any thoughts?

Cheers
Barry

Jul 28, 2014
Hi there,
Thanks for the quick reply. No judge at all. Only 1 night in jail, that's it. Don't remember about the passports. Maybe they did, but got them back imediately, since we took our flight home the day after.
Any thoughts?

Cheers
Barry

They scammed you, you're good to come back...

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
20 years ago, no computer records. I wouldn't sweat it.

Somewhere on here is a lengthy thread about a guy getting caught smokin' one on the sidewalk in Sosua. It's a good read.

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
well, if you consider 21 years old to be teenagers, then you have bigger problems..
here's a hint..if it ends in TEEN its a teenager,,anything older is called an adult
so this would make you 41 now?..bonehead

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Dude, lay off the negative waves.

Rent a car from somebody that knows this one guy, get high, see the sights, and fall in love with a chica, my Fren.

What's the worst that could happen.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hi guys,
I am new to the forum and I wanted an opinion from you guys. 20 years ago I was on holiday in the DR and on our last day the cops cought us with 1 joint, yes only 1 joint. They took us to jail for the night (4 of us), scared us to death, we were 21 year old teenagers, and demande 4000 U$ in order to let us go. Otherwise it'll be about 3 years prison. That's what they told us. We were scared to death, borrowed the money and payed. After that they let us go, just 3 hours before our flight back home.
I haven't been there ever since. Now my question, I would like to go again and spend some time there, something like a year or so. I would like to know if you guys think I will encounter problems due to what happened 20 years ago. I personally doubt it, but just wanted to make sure. In my opinion the whole thing never even made it in the system. Looks to me as a complete rip off from the cops.
I would appreaciate your opinions on this?

Thanks so much
Barry

I've been on DR1 since 1999 and newbies were always told that in the DR it was easier to get out of a murder rap than a drug rap and yes ONE joint was considered DRUGS and people were told to go to another Island if that's what they were looking for.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Whats with all of the threads today about gringo's down here on holiday getting arrested with drugs?

Toni69

Jan 6, 2015
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. So basically you guys think I am good to go, right or would it be better to double check with a lawyer?

Cheers

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.