New tack

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Is there any valid reason for getting the new cedula now (other than the late fee). I have a perfectly good permanent resident card that is valid for more than another year. My resident card has the same number and address and vital information as the cedula. The only difference is the color. Why do I need a voter card that says I can't vote ?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Because your residency card is not considered ID. You need a cedula or passport to do some banking, open utility accounts, get points cards at the grocery store etc. If you do not have a valid cedula, when passports stop being accepted for these types of transactions, you won't have any form of acceptable ID.

We've known that the old cedulas need to be updated for quite some time now. By leaving this fundamental obligation to the end, all you've done is ensure you get caught up in the long lines. Renewal is free now but wont be forever plus the fee for letting your old one expire.

I expect you can get by without a valid cedula for the time being, but that wont always be the case. Renewing later may be more inconvenient than it is now.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I finally got around to getting my new cedula this week. Went in right after lunch about 2:30. There were two other people going through the process at the time. Nothing was said about my being over due. The whole process took less than 15 minutes and didn't cost me a cent. (peso) It could have taken even less time if the finger print machine hadn't had such a difficult time figuring out how many fingers I had on each hand. Also, I had to ask them to put my blood type on the card. They were going to leave it blank.