Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleysrock View Post
    Cameras caught the killer of the lady who got murdered by the Texaco! Of course this is a GREAT idea! Wtf are you hiding that you care so much about cams in the area?! Gonna say you are shadier than shade!

Haters gonna hate but many of you have no idea what is going on in the background with NCCS! You should be thanking these people instead of complaining like you all do non stop offering no solutions!
    Asking what people think doesn't mean I am hiding anything, which I'm not. I am far from shady, in fact, if you knew me, which you don't, you would get that very quickly. Think before you accuse people you don't know. My purpose was to create a dialogue about a potentially significant societal shift here. If the quality of this group is to accuse people you know nothing about because they ask a question, well then, perhaps I'm on the wrong group. If you have good reasons why you believe the cameras are a good idea, then post them. That's all I asked for. I'll take the high road and not attack you. Qué pase buen día.

2. Likes jinty05, robbiee liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank12 View Post
    I think the cameras are a good idea, and here's why:

1. They show robbery attempts, stabbings, shooting, fights, etc.

2. In 2008, myself and 4 other people spent 3 days in jail because a hotel manager was killed in a hotel. the hotel now has security cameras both inside and outside of the hotel. It's here in Cabarete. If they had the cameras installed when she was killed, the killer "might" have been identified and at least 4 other people--myself included--would not have had to spend 3 days in jail wehere anything could have happened to us. I hadn't even been to the hotel for 4 days before she was killed, so i would have been ruled out immediately....and so would others including her ex-boyfriend who hadn't seen her in over a year.

3. Attempted robberies can be caught on camera.

4. Car wrecks are caught on camera. there is a good one that happened only 4 or 5 months ago in front of Kaobo hotel that was caught on camera and is somewhere still here on DR1. you can see it for yourself.

5. Street crime went down significantly in London after they installed all of the their cameras.

Frank
    Thanks for your thoughtful response frank12.

4. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't matter what we think. No one asked us and if we wanted to be surveilled and they won't ask in the future. We are caught on someone's camera everyday, everywhere. From the guy pointing a webcam out his living room window to the atm camera pointing towards the street.

At this point a few more cameras in high traffic areas that might catch a crime happen, it's not worth getting upset about. 1984 has come and gone and we are stuck with the ramifications forever.

I would prefer to live on a different planet that is not as intrusive as this one, but my choices are limited. I object to a video of me staggering down the street in my own stupor induced world appearing on youtube under the title, of "another stupid gringo ..." but what can you do?

6. Likes jinty05 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

All hotels are required now to have cameras. Many businesses do now. No one is sitting there watching people walk down the street. The cameras are just recording on a hard disk to be viewed after a crime is committed. Then the criminals have a chance to be identified, caught and punished. I think its a very good thing to do.

8. Likes Harleysrock, bluemoonnyc, frank12 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hombre987 View Post
    Asking what people think doesn't mean I am hiding anything, which I'm not. I am far from shady, in fact, if you knew me, which you don't, you would get that very quickly. Think before you accuse people you don't know. My purpose was to create a dialogue about a potentially significant societal shift here. If the quality of this group is to accuse people you know nothing about because they ask a question, well then, perhaps I'm on the wrong group. If you have good reasons why you believe the cameras are a good idea, then post them. That's all I asked for. I'll take the high road and not attack you. Qué pase buen día.
    Sorry for my harsh response, partied too much last night!

I get defensive of NCCS bc I know how much hard work is going into trying to making the NC a safer area for tourists, expats and locals. This is something we REALLY NEED and degenerates have before tried to destroy the group!

10. Likes hombre987 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    The surveillance system will be FUBAR within 6 months of installation.

Do you really think that long? We are talking about the DR after all.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be in favor of a camera at O'Shays so I could watch Frank watching the Topless beach going Ladies. Or vice versa. That's entertainment.

13. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know about you but me & my friends wont use google glass....and usually i dont hang around idiots, so no problem with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuchs4d View Post
    google glasses will change everything.
    The things you complain about is a joke compared to the things to come.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

it's nice to know that you like to OBEY. if this is not true - do something about it.

as for net - encryption does the trick.....and few other tools complicate life of big brothers ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    It doesn't matter what we think. No one asked us and if we wanted to be surveilled and they won't ask in the future. We are caught on someone's camera everyday, everywhere. From the guy pointing a webcam out his living room window to the atm camera pointing towards the street.

At this point a few more cameras in high traffic areas that might catch a crime happen, it's not worth getting upset about. 1984 has come and gone and we are stuck with the ramifications forever.

I would prefer to live on a different planet that is not as intrusive as this one, but my choices are limited. I object to a video of me staggering down the street in my own stupor induced world appearing on youtube under the title, of "another stupid gringo ..." but what can you do?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

oh, and btw. - there is difference between mass surveillance on populations - WHICH IS WRONG & ILLEGAL , and putting cameras by business owners in Cabarete...i would say that they have a right to do it and GOOD REASONS to do it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast