Putting up Cameras in Cabarete

hombre987

Nov 17, 2013
Curious as to others take on the "Crime Stoppers" group lobbying to put cameras up in Cabarete. Looks like tomorrow (Thursday) putting up the first cameras in front of Kahuna Bar in Cabarete. I am more than a law abiding citizen but do like my privacy and freedom. This just kind of bugs me. I mean, just use common sense people when you walk where, and with whom. Cameras don't stop people from doing bad things and that's proven. In some states like Florida and Arizona those cameras giving traffic tickets have been banned. Do we really want to create another police state mentality down here? Personally, I love the sense of freedom here and would really hate to lose that. That's not why most of us are here I suspect. Another example of foreigners imposing their viewpoints on another culture? What's the point? Your opinions? Do we really need this or do we really just need to be more sensible in our activities? Here's the YouTube video of the meeting with the General in Puerto Plata. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNOvPwfcm5o

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Pardon me for being cynical, anyone want to wager on when the camera thefts will happen?

hombre987

Nov 17, 2013
If you like privacy, you should avoid public areas. There is no expectation of privacy in public areas.

I didn't ask for your view of my view. I asked for your view of putting up the cameras. And to answer you, there is a huge difference between being able to be seen by real people who are actually in a locale, and adjusting accordingly as I please, than being watched by someone via camera somewhere with the distinct purpose of well, watching what people are doing. I can control my surroundings and see those around me, I can't control that person viewing behind a lens and what they do with my image.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I think the cameras are a good idea, and here's why:

1. They show robbery attempts, stabbings, shooting, fights, etc.

2. In 2008, myself and 4 other people spent 3 days in jail because a hotel manager was killed in a hotel. the hotel now has security cameras both inside and outside of the hotel. It's here in Cabarete. If they had the cameras installed when she was killed, the killer "might" have been identified and at least 4 other people--myself included--would not have had to spend 3 days in jail wehere anything could have happened to us. I hadn't even been to the hotel for 4 days before she was killed, so i would have been ruled out immediately....and so would others including her ex-boyfriend who hadn't seen her in over a year.

3. Attempted robberies can be caught on camera.

4. Car wrecks are caught on camera. there is a good one that happened only 4 or 5 months ago in front of Kaobo hotel that was caught on camera and is somewhere still here on DR1. you can see it for yourself.

5. Street crime went down significantly in London after they installed all of the their cameras.

Frank

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Hombre,
There are already cameras in many places in Cabarete.. Onno's, for example, has had them for years. Other bars and restaurants do. Real estate offices. Supermarkets. Hotel Kaoba has them in the hotel and on the street. Same in Sosua. El flow had them. Most apartment complexes have them. Banks. Many caba?as photograph cars & license plates in and out.

Smile, you're on candid camera much more than you may think.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i love em...especially the first time we heard of them... in the u.k. soccer match all those thugs arrested and jailed... i have made the decision to go camera. in house and out of house...all properties...
of course this wont be my first time....i had purchased a tiny (spy) cam and installed it myself actually caught the perps doing what they were doing and bought the tapes to the police and my problem was over....of course i had no tenants...but those 2 a holes were gone....
lets go to the video tape.....

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Six months from now the same people who installed the camera's will be posting up reward signs for anyone who
can offer information about the person(s) who vandalized them.

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
google glass is a real life changer

I love the sense of freedom here and would really hate to lose that. That's not why most of us are here I suspect. Another example of foreigners imposing their viewpoints on another culture? What's the point? Your opinions?

google glasses will change everything.
The things you complain about is a joke compared to the things to come.

Like everyone uses smartphones today, people will use the google glasses.
The camera has not to be in the glasses, but can be a wearable like a shirt button.

audio/video is constantly streamed to google.
Things and persons in the view are constantly recognized and regcognized items and persons name pop up in the view.

In an arabian country (forgot which one), police is already experimenting with database of criminals.

Imagine private databases like for income, criminal record, customer ratings on prostitutes etc. used with glasses.

Imagine networking all people with glasses.
Sure many people will happyle share their life glass view.

Dream come true for police, NSA, dictatorships.

All this is not science fiction, it is real and we will have to get used to it within the next few years.
Even in Cabarete.

Yesterday a motoconcho grabbed the handbag of a gringa in Cabarete.
With networked glasses, police can identify and order arrest the suspect without leaving office.

Voice is also constantly monitored to catch voice commands.
If you used OK google (or Apple Siri), the company already has a unique profile that can be used to identify you in a phone call.

google also knows how you are feeling (happy, depressed) and if you are lying, its all in the voice.

My 2 cents

Alexander

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
f that...put up cameras that record entry ...and exits... any car with no plates,tags is picked by police within 15 minutes...actually how many ways in cab. by car/transport?

Cameras caught the killer of the lady who got murdered by the Texaco! Of course this is a GREAT idea! Wtf are you hiding that you care so much about cams in the area?! Gonna say you are shadier than shade!

Haters gonna hate but many of you have no idea what is going on in the background with NCCS! You should be thanking these people instead of complaining like you all do non stop offering no solutions!

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
cameras are a great idea ...if you have nothing to fear...the cameras wont bother you ...but if used properly they can solve a lot of problems and stop a lot of mistakes

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i record my front property...my driveway/carpark...my hallway/entranceway...living room..backyard and my playground..(bedroom) not sure if this is up to code but im not targeting any specific areas except the walking around/not the entertainment/bed..i.e. no cameras on the floors upskirting...not using it for that...just for security... but what i have found out is all cats are grey in the dark...and unless you have good lites useless

I didn't ask for your view of my view. I asked for your view of putting up the cameras. And to answer you, there is a huge difference between being able to be seen by real people who are actually in a locale, and adjusting accordingly as I please, than being watched by someone via camera somewhere with the distinct purpose of well, watching what people are doing. I can control my surroundings and see those around me, I can't control that person viewing behind a lens and what they do with my image.

You are NOTHING, seriously do you think people care who you are or what you do?! WE DON'T! This is for major criminal activity!

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
I don't have a problem with people or businesses using cameras but I DO have a problem when government uses it a taxpayer-funded mallet of uber surveillance.

Hey, have fun in your Panopticon State.

"If you don't have anything to hide, don't worry about (insert new government control here)." -- Last words of every baby seal before the club swings down.

Some of you deserve what's coming but don't drag us down with your idiocy or claim to represent the majority.

I don't have a problem with people or businesses using cameras but I DO have a problem when government uses it a taxpayer-funded mallet of uber surveillance.

Hey, have fun in your Panopticon State.

"If you don't have anything to hide, don't worry about (insert new government control here)." -- Last words of every baby seal before the club swings down.

Some of you deserve what's coming but don't drag us down with your idiocy or claim to represent the majority.

Yes instead lets let the criminals of Cab and Sosua murder and rob everyone!

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Yes instead lets let the criminals of Cab and Sosua murder and rob everyone!

Maybe the police should do a more serious job. Fwiw I do have a serious problem with being under surveillance as one never knows what images can wind up where and with whom.

Those who claim to be perfectly normal will be surprised to see what a simole discussion with some gesticulation can look like on a surveillance camera, without proper context.

hombre987

Nov 17, 2013
So who is putting up the cameras? You make it sound as if it is a gringo project.

A guy named Leon, who is supposedly a security expert. Yes, he is an expat. Don't know him personally. My interest in the post was purely to get a sense of how others view a push towards the use of cameras in public places that are connected to the police which, according to the video, are.