What GPS is best for Santo Domingo / DR?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Hi,

if moving to SDQ I will need a GPS.

What is the best? Which one do you recommend?

There are several Apps for the iPhone... Do they work like a GPS or is a GPS system still superior to an iphone app?

Thanks for your input!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
get the bigger iphone so you will have larger screen area to use it as gps. an android phone with bigger screen works out just fine. You will get claro sim and claro 3g or 4g LTE network data plan. you can get the cheapest plan as you will not be using so much data when using GPS in this country. Now you can simply use Google maps to navigate anywhere in this country. google maps are turn by turn navigation and all for free. the maps are updated to the latest for free. nothing is better than google map navigatuion in this country. so don't bother to look anywhere else.
another new program is out , its called "here" maps. its in beta stage but its free and includes Dominican repubic full map. you can download offline maps as well and use it data free.
AZB

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
correction

HERE maps and HERE drive, formerly known as "Nokia Maps" and "Nokia Drive" are more than 10 years old. The latest version (for Windows Phone 8 or newer) does not include a turn by turn navigation license for the Dominican Republic. The HERE people say it is on the way. The older version, HERE Beta/HERE Beta+, does have the turn by turn license.

AZB's comments about Google maps are correct.

get the bigger iphone so you will have larger screen area to use it as gps. an android phone with bigger screen works out just fine. You will get claro sim and claro 3g or 4g LTE network data plan. you can get the cheapest plan as you will not be using so much data when using GPS in this country. Now you can simply use Google maps to navigate anywhere in this country. google maps are turn by turn navigation and all for free. the maps are updated to the latest for free. nothing is better than google map navigatuion in this country. so don't bother to look anywhere else.
another new program is out , its called "here" maps. its in beta stage but its free and includes Dominican repubic full map. you can download offline maps as well and use it data free.
AZB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Dominican GPS = asking a passer-by or splash out by upgrading to a motoconcho to show you the way

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Data in the DR cost a lot of money gat a Garmin and by the DR maps

Dominican Republic GPS Map for Garmin | GPSTravelMaps.com

I have a garmin. Paid ( not much, cant remember ------ it was europe maps loaded when I bought it ) for dr maps. Wouldnt open back in europe. Email exchange, dont worry they said, as soon as u are in the dr it will load up dr maps just fine. Of course, it didnt. More emails, download maps again they told me ( but once in dr I dont have reliable internet access ).

When it finally got sorted out, I was disappointed. I use google maps on a tablet now and the garmin has been sent back to my car in europe.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
2 options...

Best.... Data plan + Google Maps.

Poor second... App that can store the Google map tiles in your phone using WiFi prior to traveling, then you don't need a data plan.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
like robert and someone else said, just use google maps and you are all set. no other paid gps is better than free google map gps system. You can get a cheap plan with 1 gb data. this will be enough for you to navigate all over this island. When i am in USA I have t-mobile plan with 1gb data. after using google maps navigation every day for 2 weeks + whatsapp + facebook (no videos) I still didn't even use 300mb of data. so 1 gb is more than enough for gps use.
AZB

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
like robert and someone else said, just use google maps and you are all set. no other paid gps is better than free google map gps system...............AZB

Keep it simple, use Google Maps...............

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Santo Domingo is probably the easiest city to navigate. I can only imagine a gps would drive you round the bend (intended). The entire city branches from about 6 main roads, within a month you should have no problem getting anywhere you need to. All you need is the closest intersection. I've never seen anyone use a gps in the city, I reckon for a reason.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Santo Domingo is probably the easiest city to navigate. I can only imagine a gps would drive you round the bend (intended). The entire city branches from about 6 main roads, within a month you should have no problem getting anywhere you need to. All you need is the closest intersection. I've never seen anyone use a gps in the city, I reckon for a reason.

I guess you have never driven all over Santo Domingo.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Santo Domingo routes

I had planned to leave this one alone but since Rob will take the blame I will jump in. I agree with the original poster's comment about the comparatively small number of major boulevards and access to them from central barrios (Piantini, Los Prados, Gazcue/Colonial Zone, and sections of Villa Juana/Ensanche la Fe that border Maximo Gomez. Once you are off those beaten paths, however, the many "calle Proyecto," "calle 1ra, 2da etc." can become a blur of criss crossing paths and building numbers that randomly ascend and descend. If you are from New York City, think Brooklyn/Staten Island vs. Manhattan, if you are from San Francisco, think Hunter's Point vs. North Beach, if you are from L.A., think Inglewood vs. Santa Monica.

I guess you have never driven all over Santo Domingo.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
to illustrate the point.....

the old/former Guzman offices were very difficult to find..... I got lost almost every time
Once , I went into the ambulance center to ask directions -- ambulances, they know, right?

No clue from them.... no se....

A GPS in SD is a godsend......

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
to illustrate the point.....

the old/former Guzman offices were very difficult to find..... I got lost almost every time
Once , I went into the ambulance center to ask directions -- ambulances, they know, right?

No clue from them.... no se....

A GPS in SD is a godsend......

Totally agree, try finding a few of those good restaurants nestled away in Naco or Piatini without GPS. Most times I end up giving the taxi driver driving directions using Google Maps.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Totally agree, try finding a few of those good restaurants nestled away in Naco or Piatini without GPS. Most times I end up giving the taxi driver driving directions using Google Maps.

Mr. AE was born and raised in Santo Domingo, even he gets lost there sometimes in those snake alley streets. Not to mention the one-ways.

Aug 6, 2006
The Google map of Barahona that I have examined claims to be dated 2011. Are there newer editions, and if so, how can I access them?

I am talking about the Google maps online on my computer, by the way.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Santo Domingo is not a difficult city to navigate in but Google maps comes in handy when you need to be in an exact street in a residential area and it works PERFECT.

And what surprises me most is the indicate time you will arrive is very close to what it will really take.