North Coast Crime

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
Is it that we focus too much on the north coast? Cause it seems in recent months the NC is not a good place for ex pats to be.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Is it that we focus too much on the north coast? Cause it seems in recent months the NC is not a good place for ex pats to be.

especially on the North Coast Forum?

A few years ago, I had a problem with a tree (big big old tree, which had a dead branch that fell off and went through the roof of a house in cangrejo) and it turned out to be quite a big deal, needed a letter of permission to cut some of it down to make it safer. in the end around 20 people were involved. some were adamant that it should not be cut at all.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

A large population of ex-pats with more money than the average resident is always a target.
Throw into the mix illegal Haitians, Dominicans, poor administration of law, order, justice and a crumbling infrastructure.
Add some "luxury" condos and houses with gringos willing to invest.
A strange place that at the moment seems to be in a decline, and does not have a pleasant vibe to me.
The decline of tourism in Sosua is obvious, especially now in "peak season" another policy gone wrong.
The official line from DR news today:
"Dominican economy outperforms all LA
According to the Central Bank, the Dominican economy's good performance during 2014 provides a firm starting point for dealing with risks in 2015"....
Those that live here and see what happens on a daily basis, can come to their own conclusions.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
especially on the North Coast Forum?

A few years ago, I had a problem with a tree (big big old tree, which had a dead branch that fell off and went through the roof of a house in cangrejo) and it turned out to be quite a big deal, needed a letter of permission to cut some of it down to make it safer. in the end around 20 people were involved. some were adamant that it should not be cut at all.

I see that it's in the north coast forum. But it just seems that it's at a higher rate in the north coast. Compared to the south.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I see that it's in the north coast forum. But it just seems that it's at a higher rate in the north coast. Compared to the south.

sometimes i wonder about it too. but NC has a large population of gringos and much better news coverage. there are several websites dedicated to NC news: puerto plata habla, puerto plata digital, noticias pop, periodico el faro, detras de rumor and many more. no other area has this much coverage. and lots of this coverage is focused on deaths, robberies and accidents. most of the pages above would even list natural deaths of foreigners. i cannot find a decent set of websites dedicated to news in any other area of the country.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
and what you read here is no where near the amount of crime that actually happens!!

Oh believe me I know. Most crime is under reported. Imagine if all crimes pertaining to ex pats only they would have to open a separate dept......LOL

Aug 6, 2006
If so many expats live on the NC, it is likely that if an expat is killed, that is where it will be most likely to happen. In SD, perhaps there are more, but an expat does not stand out in a large city as out in the sticks.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
NorthCoast has a higher rate of expats murdered because there are generally more expats.
Southcoast has its share of expat murders, and god knows 10 fold the amount of murders overall you see on the Northcoast.
The majority of death goes unreported, especially murder, as it is generally at the hands of the PN, who kill and sweep the mess into the back if the truck before anyone knows what's going on, or any reporters can be informed.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
If so many expats live on the NC, it is likely that if an expat is killed, that is where it will be most likely to happen. In SD, perhaps there are more, but an expat does not stand out in a large city as out in the sticks.

Oh, I dunno, I can go a few months without seeing another expat, or paleface. I stand out like an errection on grandma!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't believe violent gringo deaths go unreported. they make for nice articles that can be accompanied by a usual set of photos. this is not an opportunity detras de rumor can miss.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
and unlike the other tourist areas in RD, Sosua/Cab has fewer AI's...

gringos are loose on the streets - unprotected.

crime aims for pigeons...... tourist areas, and low police patrols add up nicely.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
A LOT of gringo crimes are not reported in news, not deaths I am sure but I am aware of many things that go on that never reach dr1 or the news.

yes, we all know that there are still people who b*tch about the police doing nothing but cannot be bothered to report the crimes to the police. yawn.