UPS and Power Surge/Fridge Questions

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
Good Day to all!

We are now living in the DR, and I have a quick question concerning my electrical equipment and my fridge. I want to ensure that I take measures to reduce any damage to my electronics and refrigerator due to power spikes, surges, outages, and transfers from grid power to planta power and back to grid power.

With that said, I'm purchasing UPS units for my electronics, but I wondered about my fridge. I'm thinking of buying a UPS for the fridge, just to reduce spiking and damage to the motor when the power goes out, goes to planta, and comes back on. When the power goes out, the delay for the planta to turn on is anywhere from 5 to 20 seconds. What do you experts recommend? Am I on the right track? The fridge is an 18 cubic foot GE. Thanks!

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Gringonazo,
On the fridge you need both surge protection and a delay timer ( 3 mins). The problem with fridges is compressor start up after short power breaks as the back pressure is often enough to stall the motor.
Some modern fridges already have delay built in to the electronics and it is worth checking on that .
Fridge protectors come in one unit and are often avaialble at La Serana, at least in POP. One brand is Avtek !

Hope that helps.

Olly and the Team

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
for our fridge we have a surge protector with suppressor and a timer (whatever that means). we have the same thingy for washing machine and dryer, another for tv/dvd (with voltage regulator) and another thingy for all computers/HQ. so far so good and none of our electronics got fried, ever.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
You should be fine with a delay timer to prevent damage to the compressor. We have used it for 9 years and no problem

Bob K

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
You don't want a surge suppressor; you want a line conditioner. Surges suppressors only protect you from spikes, a line conditioner smooths the current in both directions. It's the step in-between a SS and UPS, and for large draw items (fridge, laser printers, heaters, etc) it's normally the right solution.

The cool thing is that because most folks here in DR don't really know what they're for, you can get a decent one for ~$1000 RD.

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
Thanks for the help guys and gals. I saw the Avtek units at the Ferreteria the other day, and I didn't quite understand their purpose. Now I do. Looks like I'll be getting one tomorrow. The things we must do to ensure that our stuff doesn't become damaged!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Over 10 years of being here and not using anything special on our refrigerators for protection without problems. We have a total of 4 refrigerators in our apartments.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Some good suggestions here. Here is what an average AVTEK voltage protector look like. This one and a "gang plug" type is what I usually see in Ferreterias here:

Protector-De-Voltaje-Nevera-Avtek-20140923155125.jpg

That's still a surge protector, and won't help in under-voltage situations. It is some protection, but depending on your area and the reliability of the power supply, it may not be enough.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Over 10 years of being here and not using anything special on our refrigerators for protection without problems. We have a total of 4 refrigerators in our apartments.

Depends on where you are and how clean your power is. Some areas are fairly reliable, while some are reliable in their unreliability. YMMV...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have a whole house voltage regulator, installed between the electric pole and our house, surprisingly affordable, was under $150 installed. Made all the difference in the world with appliances. Without it the microwave and [US made] full size washer would not run, because the incoming voltage was too low.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
You don't want a surge suppressor; you want a line conditioner. Surges suppressors only protect you from spikes, a line conditioner smooths the current in both directions. It's the step in-between a SS and UPS, and for large draw items (fridge, laser printers, heaters, etc) it's normally the right solution.

The cool thing is that because most folks here in DR don't really know what they're for, you can get a decent one for ~$1000 RD.

is that what they are called? is it a hdwre store item? sold locally in d.r. or imported item? thanks:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Depends on where you are and how clean your power is. Some areas are fairly reliable, while some are reliable in their unreliability. YMMV...

So what needs to be done is a check to see if the voltages are within specs and are steady or if they change enough over time to cause problems. Using a whole house regulator may be a great solution to those with such problems, but keep in mind that such a regulator is not 100% efficient and more energy will be used.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We have a whole house voltage regulator, installed between the electric pole and our house, surprisingly affordable, was under $150 installed. Made all the difference in the world with appliances. Without it the microwave and [US made] full size washer would not run, because the incoming voltage was too low.

Had a problem with low voltage. Called Edenorte, they came the same day and adjusted the output of the transformer which solved our problem.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Had a problem with low voltage. Called Edenorte, they came the same day and adjusted the output of the transformer which solved our problem.

I find that hard to believe.

a- do you have a connection with edenorte?
b- did you propina someone?
c- did you actually see them doing the work?
d- What part of Santiago is that? That's incredible undominican like service!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a reason why ladronorte office in POP has a big sign on the door that says NO ARMAS DE FUEGO.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Now that we have a "whole house" stabiliser (????), never any problems.
Before, the fridge blew like 4 times. But u only change a small piece ( no idea what it is ), total repair cost, piece and worker 200 pesos.....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i may be wrong here but is the small piece that can be cheaply changed a wife, perhaps?

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
is that what they are called? is it a hdwre store item? sold locally in d.r. or imported item? thanks:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I found a line conditioner in one of the electronics stores near Fruisa. I don't think you'd find it in a hardware store, though. It may well be simpler to order from Amazon, they aren't very heavy.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I find that hard to believe.

a- do you have a connection with edenorte? Only the normal telephone report line
b- did you propina someone? No.
c- did you actually see them doing the work?Yes I was watching.
d- What part of Santiago is that? That's incredible undominican like service!
Cabarete, not Santiago